Car Ownership and Insurance

face

If I change the owner on the V5 from me to the MILF, at what point should the insurance go into her name?

We both have policies for seperate cars, and I'm about to change our other motor, which she 'owns'. I want to get the cars into the right owners name. New car insurance can be transferred my policy.

It doesn't really matter, but I'd like to do it all the same.

What the fuck am I talking about? I hope somebody understands.

Not a definitive answer, but the Meriva is in SWMBO's name, the ZX is in mine. Our Aviva multicar policy has us both on the policy for the respective main users of the cars, with me as overall admin (confused the fuck out of me when setting the policy up) but that's it.

Causes no end of fun when I have to call them up, and they ask for SWMBO to verify stuff, and I say no, I am the only one you need to speak to. They go away, come back and confirm that I was right!

When we had the Mini, it was insured in my name, but there was a note on the policy to say it actually belonged to my wife. That was with Peter James. They do seem to vary. Direct Line don't seem to care which one of you owns the car.

I had a similar arrangement with Chaucer Direct. Was no problem at all - they just put a note on the policy.

All cars in my house are registered to me, err, except for one of the 2cvs. Swmbo'd smax is registered to me, with insurance in my name using my largest ncb haul. There's a note on the schedule that says that she is the main user.

I don't think you need to be the keeper or owner to insure a car, just as long as the car is not insured more than once.

All cars in my house are registered to me, err, except for one of the 2cvs. Swmbo'd smax is registered to me, with insurance in my name using my largest ncb haul. There's a note on the schedule that says that she is the main user.

I am impressed with that. I thought they called it 'fronting' and there was a big hoo ha about it with mums and teenage sons. Must be cos you are on the V5

You're not the registered owner when you insure a car you've just bought. As long as the ownership transfer is more or less in progress you'll be fine.

Sorry to be pedantic (OK, I'm not sorry at all...), but you're never the "registered owner" of a car, only the "registered keeper". Owner and keeper can be completely different. Insurance companies usually ask if you're the Registered Keeper :wink:

The V5 proves you're the keeper, your purchase receipt proves you're the owner.

Swmbo'd smax is registered to me, with insurance in my name using my largest ncb haul. There's a note on the schedule that says that she is the main user.

Be careful with that....Back when I was married, we had a "Swap around" with cars when my then step-daughter passed her test....It resulted in my wife giving her car to her daughter, and started using my (then) Rover 75, which was registered/insured by me, with maximum NCB, and I got a shiter (R11 pending delivery of the R20 that never arrived!) to use, and took out another policy on that from scratch.

Knowing what a bunch of conning bastards insurance companies are, I tried to do the right thing, and informed the insurers of the Rover that despite the car being registered to me, and insured by me, it was actually my wife who was the main user of the car....All okay so far!....Time progressed, the Rover was replaced by a Megane, and then we decided to end the marriage.

Upon contacting the insurer to have my wife removed from my policy, I was informed that, as the main driver on the insurance policy, the NCB was now my wife's....Even though I had been building up the bonus on my policies since before I even met her! I'm now rebuilding my NCB from scratch....Now up to three years....And all because insurance companies are twats! :(

Hmm, I'm not sure it's fronting. That would be a lower risk owning the policy, but not telling the insurance that the higher risk is the main user. I've told the co. who the main user is, and she is a lower risk anyway. I've got another normal car policy with me as main driver, which I'm building up ncb again, and two other classic policies.