Autoshite Forum Update

Electric Leyland

Hello Shiters,

Well as you can see we're back up and running. We're not in the clear yet though, still stuff to do. Here's a status update of what's going on.

Issues tackled so far:

• Deleted all live spammers, banned IPs and removed posts. Thanks to everyone who flagged them up (Dollywobbler, Cavette, Cobblers, Studebaker Hawk, Trigger, Shep Shepherd, AeroNautical to name but a few) which made the job easier as they were still present all the way back to May this year.

• Deleted all 14,800 inactive users, as approx. 95%+ looked like dormant spammers.

• Locked down the forum, but then altered it back to 'Account Activation by admins'. This is because lurkers will now be trying to re-register as I’ve deleted their accounts.

Issues outstanding:

• A forced board purge. Iminently. Like in the next day or two. We have 5 years of posts on there. I recommend we delete the oldest 3 years worth at least I recommend topics older than that need to be resurrected now or lost forever.

• Make the registration process a load tighter.

• Try and reactivate Space Otter. I can’t work out how to do this yet.

• Add moderators, purely for deleting spambots ONLY and nothing else (thanks to everyone who has applied).

• Go to the pub

Thanks to everyone for being so patient, and our apologies for letting it get out of hand. The Autoshite page on Facebook has been a welcome place this week (cheers to Craig Miller for that).

Rich

aka EL

aka RIchard Lawson on FB for ref

EL,

I understand I'm new here, but I'm happy to volunteer time to the boards.

Regularly online for 12 hours at a time (Days and Nights) at work, so if you need any help kicking this spammers in to touch, let me know :)

Ben.

Don't forget Fred Transit who served up emergency AS to us all in paper cups from the back of his Transit. Thanks Fred :-D

+1.

Turned into quite a decent wee forum in the few days it had in the limelight, thanks FT. :D

Incidentally, there still seems to be a shit-load of spammers on the member list, I presume these have all been de-activated and nothing to worry about?

Incidentally, there still seems to be a shit-load of spammers on the member list, I presume these have all been de-activated and nothing to worry about?

Mainly nothing to worry about. Since coming back online this morning we've had 51 new resistrations from spammers, none of which will gain access. That's the majority of them, and the rest are all recent ones that have been banned already. If you go back further they're mainly OK looking.

This will for a while cause problems for 'real' new registrations. Just have to live with that temporarily.

But so far nothing in the past 4 hours so it's looking fairly good. I do expect a few to pop up though over the next few days, if you see any please flag them up!

Cheers,

Rich

Yeah I was hoping Fred might make a return to the main forum now.

Yes, second that.

Another big thank you (to add to all the others) to everyone involved in keeping this site running. The positive side effect of it being down for a few days is that is has demonstrated beyond doubt just how much it means to a lot of people!

• A forced board purge. Iminently. Like in the next day or two. We have 5 years of posts on there. I recommend we delete the oldest 3 years worth at least I recommend topics older than that need to be resurrected now or lost forever.

Hold on, before purging let's download and archive those old posts. They might be inactive but there's still three years of esoteric car knowledge.

I can host them on the originaltin hosting I'm still paying for.

Hold on, before purging let's download and archive those old posts. They might be inactive but there's still three years of esoteric car knowledge.

I can host them on the originaltin hosting I'm still paying for.

That definitely sounds lke an offer that's too good not to be taken up...