SORT THE SPAM OUT PLEASE

hairnet

Late to the party but....

This is not the only site to have been attacked. Other sites where I am a so-called "member" have also been the victims of recent spam attacks. Thier response to it is to temporarily change the autmatic activation list to manual activation by admins. I know this is alot of work so maybe those who volunteered could have their status changed to admin on a temporary basis until a longer term solution can be found? It cannot go on the way it is now.

A site i'm admin on gets a load of signups from Russia, Nigeria, India and Bangladesh. We've got manual activation switched on anyway but i just ban the entire IP range of whatever ISP they're using this week.

To be honest, this place just needs some hands-on admin quite urgently. Not moderation, but someone just to activate new accounts and bin the spammers.

I know this is alot of work so maybe those who volunteered could have their status changed to admin on a temporary basis until a longer term solution can be found? It cannot go on the way it is now.

Initially there's maybe an hour's work for someone who knows their way around a phpBB forum admin console to delete all the spammers who have joined up recently but switching the forum to manual activation of new members is one box to tick and then 'enter', and after that it just means whoever's volunteered for the job would need to spend 5-10 minutes a day looking for genuine names to approve and binning all the rest.

It's a doddle once you get used to it, usually you can spot a spammer's username a mile away and a quick check of the email used to register with confirms it.

It just needs someone cleared to do it.

This place needs an active admin, it'll only get worse.

Looks like we're fighting a losing battle at the moment. :(

Has anyone who's contacted either EL or Mr. S even had their PMs read, or are they still sitting in the outbox?

I've hit the report button but I doubt we'll get them deleted tonight.

Late to the party but....

This is not the only site to have been attacked. Other sites where I am a so-called "member" have also been the victims of recent spam attacks. Thier response to it is to temporarily change the autmatic activation list to manual activation by admins. I know this is alot of work so maybe those who volunteered could have their status changed to admin on a temporary basis until a longer term solution can be found? It cannot go on the way it is now.

I suspect that Mo is referring to www.rover800.info/forum where we got hit by spammers on thursday. His suggestion is exactly what we did and it worked - not too much effort and certainly saves having to clean up the forum (banning spammers is easier than tidying their mess),

... delete everyone who joined in the last few days...

Please not EVERYONE - just the spammers. Eg that new Scottish chap who posted pictures of his Moggie and Discovery.

We've already had one victim of friendly fire: Space Otter lost all his posts and had to re-register as Andrew1234 (or similar). Very sad for him.

Here's a suggestion, how about people stop bumping threads and create new ones with real content, or contribute to existing ones? More than just 'bump'.

I don't want any extra moderation on the site, as LS said, all the Management need to do is set the forum back to manual admissions, and delete the existing spammers. All the existing spam will disappear quickly and there will be no more new stuff.

Oh and RedSparrow's correct, stop responding to the spam and it will soon disappear.

Haven't been on here for a while. By the looks of it I don't think I'll bother again if nobody is going to get rid of all the shit.

+1; it also helps if people keep a civil tongue in their head and stop slagging off others for trying to help. We're all in this together, or is camaraderie a dirty word on here now?

Don't forget this forum is free and the mod's/owners are probably 1) snowed under and 2) have a life outside of AS.

It's a pity the spammers are having a really good go at mucking the place up, but other people say it's happening elsewhere and it's not the fault of the owner's of AS that I can see.