SORT THE SPAM OUT PLEASE

hairnet

I've been an admin on a phpBB forum too and I'm pretty sure there will be an option on the management console to make membership a 'management approval' thing, where a member of the admin team has to manually approve a new member, after checking the email address and IP number used to apply. None of the bastards ever got past me! :lol:

It should also be possible to make new members enter a 'Captcha' code every time they post for the first few posts, which keeps them at bay too.

I agree about needing a couple of new mods, but ONLY with the remit of tackling spam, although if the settings mentioned were changed I bet we wouldn't need them.

Edit....There's still half a dozen of the fuckers on page two, now reported.

There's a shitload of "users" registered that have never posted anything, and been registered for over 5 years.

may be a good idea to delete all of those; if they're genuine shiters, but are too scared/don't know how to post something, they can re-register with the new questions....such as....

1) When a red car's paint has oxidised, what is the official Autoshite term?

2) Which member has a 1970's moustache, and a penchant for crap plastic, limited run vehicles?

3) Which vehicle has appeared in the Ebay bargains thread most often in the last six months?

4)Why don't you show me on the dolly where Trigger touched you?

I could go on....other suggestions for registration questions will be considered!!!!

There's a shitload of "users" registered that have never posted anything, and been registered for over 5 years.

may be a good idea to delete all of those; if they're genuine shiters, but are too scared/don't know how to post something, they can re-register with the new questions....such as....

1) When a red car's paint has oxidised, what is the official Autoshite term?

2) Which member has a 1970's moustache, and a penchant for crap plastic, limited run vehicles?

3) Which vehicle has appeared in the Ebay bargains thread most often in the last six months?

4)Why don't you show me on the dolly where Trigger touched you?

I could go on....other suggestions for registration questions will be considered!!!!

I only know the answer to question 3.

$%28KGrHqV,!hcF!cvJpr8yBQ,y7Hh,+w~~60_12.JPG

How's that for spamming?

I've been an admin on a phpBB forum too and I'm pretty sure there will be an option on the management console to make membership a 'management approval' thing, where a member of the admin team has to manually approve a new member, after checking the email address and IP number used to apply. None of the bastards ever got past me! :lol:

It should also be possible to make new members enter a 'Captcha' code every time they post for the first few posts, which keeps them at bay too.

I agree about needing a couple of new mods, but ONLY with the remit of tackling spam, although if the settings mentioned were changed I bet we wouldn't need them.

Edit....There's still half a dozen of the fuckers on page two, now reported.

At one time this forum was quite hard to join, think it took nearly six weeks to get my membership. Agree with changing the settings as above, the first couple of posts should have to be mod approved. As for extra mods think just need one regular member to become a mod just to delete any spam , if you start appointing more regular posters as mods, the control freak factor soon kicks in and the amount of posting dies off - as seen in other forums I've been a member/visited

I know very little about origins of spam and how it gets here! Presume it is caused initially by humans? Either way it is a nuisance, cluttering up the place etc. Dunno... Is it humans or just some cyber bot thing?

The suggestions about having one or possibly two regular user(s) that has the ability to delete the most obvious spam seems to me the most sensible. Even if he/she only cleaned the forum once or twice a week? Presumably someone on here is in charge*, and if the appointed Spamcop exceeded their duties in any way they could be terminated? :shock: Voice of the people etc.

Lots of sensible folk on here, so surely this could be arranged?

Tighter registration procedures then forum policed by a Spamcop?

Maybe?

* Assuming that someone actually is.... :D

I know very little about origins of spam and how it gets here! Presume it is caused initially by humans? Either way it is a nuisance, cluttering up the place etc. Dunno... Is it humans or just some cyber bot thing?

You'd be surprised how little human input there usually is.

All that happens is that there are PC's like yours or mine which are infected by a virus which causes them to spew out automated sign-up requests to as many forums as it can find. It's all an automated process and with the right programme takes no intervention from the user, who is often totally unaware of the situation apart from noticing their PC is running a bit slower.

I do think the solution is to supervise the new members joining & posting, and appoint a "Spamblaster" mod for when the odd one sneaks through.

Quote....You'd be surprised how little human input there usually is.

All that happens is that there are PC's like yours or mine which are infected by a virus which causes them to spew out automated sign-up requests to as many forums as it can find. It's all an automated process and with the right programme takes no intervention from the user, who is often totally unaware of the situation apart from noticing their PC is running a bit slower. Quote...

That is very scary really.

Did anyone read the article yesterday about the guy who started McAfee anti virus software?

John McAfee. Weird story, claimed he has been framed. Nothing really to do with spam, possibly, but odd eh?

Sounds like he is running for his life.

Did anyone read the article yesterday about the guy who started McAfee anti virus software?

John McAfee. Weird story, claimed he has been framed. Nothing really to do with spam, possibly, but odd eh?

Sounds like he is running for his life.

What's the betting the trial lasts 30 days?

It's getting ridiculous, isn't it? :(

If by some small chance someone from 'da management' reads this, PLEASE can you do something about these cunts sooner rather than later, it's really not funny anymore.... :roll:

33 of the fuckers have registered today alone.... :shock:http://www.autoshite.com/phpbb3/memberlist.php?g=2&mode=group&start=5800

While not wishing to sound bum licky :oops: we all owe a Thank You to those who sort of the spam attacks and the like.

Maybe it's a piece of pee to them but I for one wouldn't have a bloody clue

So errr Thanks Gents :D

Right I think thats all the latest ones dealt with now, removed and banned.

EL

With respect... no, you haven't. Not even slightly... :(

Have a look at the forum's member list and you'll see that there are pages and pages of these fuckers, some more have joined up since you made that post this morning.... http://www.autoshite.com/phpbb3/memberlist.php?g=2&mode=group&start=5850

It's obvious that someone needs to undertake a total cull of these buggers, and alter the forum's joining method so that a mod has to manually approve a new member. I know from experience this measure on its own will keep 99% of the spamming fucks at bay.

Normally I'm with Douglas Adams when he said that anyone who wants any position of power/ authority should be automatically precluded from the job, but I'm willing to volunteer to do this on a temporary basis, if no-one else does.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

ANSWERING SPAMMY POSTS NO MATTER HOW "IRONIC" THE REPLY SIMPLY KEEPS THE FUCKING THREAD ON THE FRONT PAGE - IGNORE THEM AND EVENTUALLY THEY DROP OFF INTO OBLIVION.

I know sod all about computers, but could propective new joiners have to include some sort of introductory paragraph as to their shite credentials in the signing up process

You could do this, but as it requires manual authentication you may as well use the board's built feature which doesn't publish a user's first post until a mod has OK'd it. That does mean someone has to sift through a hundred "buy worthless crap" posts to let in the occasional genuine new member.

or answer a question that only a genuine shitesist would understand, such as "who manufactured the Tagora" ?

That's the current system. If you try to register you have to answer this question, which used to be enough to stop bots:

Which brand produces the A3 and A4 and is famous for its Quattro system?

Unfortunately, bots figured out that they could answer most of the questions by Googling them.

MJyhs.png

So what do we need to do? In the short term, we need a better security question. Something like "what colour is the third car in the masthead?". If that doesn't stop the new registrations, then mod approval of first posts would at least stop them messing up the forum.

how about something like this;

://w.allpar.cowwm/images/talbot/tagora/c9.jhttppg

unscramble the web address and state the colour of the car in the answer box

EDIT: but without using a popular photo link, and more discreetly named link