I had a great day! - C5 V6 Now Home!

R9UKE

Got a call at 2pm this afternoon from a guy who'd spotted my "Wanted - V6 Citroen" ad on Gumtree. Boy did that pay off!

"I have a C5 V6 here in my barn that's been sat there since 2005".

Not one to waste time I said I'd be over in an hour. What waited was the kind of stuff I dream of (sad bastard). Suspension sat way down, light covering of moss and cobwebs and a V6 badge. Absolutely top spec, the Exclusive SE. An interior like new, apart from the musty smell. Last taxed in May 2005, this was when it was taken off the road when he lost his license (I didn't ask anymore about that). Asked him why the hell he didn't sell it when it was actually still worth something - to which he couldn't respond! Poor guy...It hadn't moved an inch until today when he's pulled it out into the courtyard for me to see it. Battery completely knackered, but stuck my booster pack on and the ignition at least came on showing 60,000 miles and prompting ominous voice alerts from the traffic master system. He says one of the front wheels has seized. A bit of waffle later about what an amazing car they are and she's mine for £250.

Being picked up early next week then we'll set about waking a Hydractive animal after a 7 year sleep!

IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

That's a thing of loveliness and looking quite fresh despite being in a barn for 7 years, great find and all for £250. I love cars like this, the Rover 75 is another one.

I didnt know they made a V6 one of these, I've only ever seen HDI models. What year is it?

Hahaha yeh he actually thought it was a wind up when he first called, I had to convince him that someone actually wants one.

It's a 2002 model, was on the road all of three years, never been MOTd! Rust underneath isn't really a problem, but I've seen plenty starting to go at the bottoms of the doors.

Got a call at 2pm this afternoon from a guy who'd spotted my "Wanted - V6 Citroen" ad on Gumtree. Boy did that pay off!

"I have a C5 V6 here in my barn that's been sat there since 2005".

An interior like new, apart from the musty smell. Last taxed in May 2005, this was when it was taken off the road when he lost his license (I didn't ask anymore about that).

Asked him why the hell he didn't sell it when it was actually still worth something - to which he couldn't respond!

Based on the above, I wouldn't be surprised if he had simply lost his licence by misplacing it somewhere around the house and then not bothering to look for it again.

That looks like the County Antrim countryside, and the dealer who sold the car is in Ballymena. I reckon the vendor lost his licence for trying to escape from the police after having molested several sheep. They do that round there. "Baa! Oh, shite, hey boy, there the polis!"

I'm unsure as to whether to stick a battery on it in situ and try driving it home... Or to pay to have it transported and give it fresh oil etc before even trying to start it :?

Go on, drive it home. It's the shiter's way. Yes it might blow up, but it'll make a better story :D (And possibly and some pictures of steam for the calendar)

That looks like the County Antrim countryside, and the dealer who sold the car is in Ballymena. I reckon the vendor lost his licence for trying to escape from the police after having molested several sheep. They do that round there. "Baa! Oh, shite, hey boy, there the polis!"

Steady there... I though Ballymena had just moved up into the Bronze age so I the idea of motorised transport is a bit much for them. :lol:

As for the Cit, top work that man reminds me of when my parents accidentally hired one of these beasts back in 2002. Needless to say they weren't fans but you've hit the shite pot with this work!

Lovely stuff. The V6 engine is fabulous as you probably know. There is some rather bad news though. It's going to need a cam belt having sat there for so long - mine needs changing every 5 years and presumably the C5 is the same. You don't want those 24 valves hitting the pistons. It's a big job as so much as to be removed to change it, far more than you paid for the car unless you are handy with spanners yourself. Get the belt done and enjoy the car.

In case you haven't already considered this, make sure you turn the engine over enough to pressure up the oil and get it all around the engine before you fire it up for instance by cranking it over with the plug leads off. Otherwise you'll be likely doing an engine rebuild in the near future because if its been standing that long there will be no protection on the bearing surfaces of camshaft etc.

Apart from that my only comment is: you jammy git, what a honey. :D

I'm unsure as to whether to stick a battery on it in situ and try driving it home... Or to pay to have it transported and give it fresh oil etc before even trying to start it :?

Go on, drive it home. It's the shiter's way. Yes it might blow up, but it'll make a better story :D (And possibly and some pictures of steam for the calendar)

'+1'

Having it transported is for big girls blouses. The reall AS way is to just hook up some jump leads then run it home dragging it's arse on the floor and belching out stale petrol fumes. You get 50 virtual e-hero points for not getting pulled over too.

:lol:

Cav I tried the AS way yesterday afternoon. Called by with a big ass battery from a 5 series I scrapped and sure enough the starter motor must be seized. Either that or a catastrophic disintegration of multiplex wiring :x

It's going to have to be ushered home unfortunately - I was really looking forward to it rising up out of it's resting place and powering down the country roads looking suitably moss covered.

My Motorhog Mégane Convertible isn't going to be home until the end of this week coming, despite having been promised it by today. I'm off uni on Monday so hopefully I'll get the C5 to the yard then, and if the weather plays ball, get it running by sunset :mrgreen:

I've had three C5 V6s before, and really regret selling two of them (the third was pissing out a litre of LDS fluid a day). This'll hopefully be keeper. That'll be a C5, Laguna and Avantime sitting there all with the exact same engine and all needing belt changes :shock::twisted::twisted: