Ideas needed, sub £2k 4x4

michael1703

Ah, there you are. Was convinced the 3-litre was a six-pot. I drove one ages and ages ago but perhaps I miscounted...

As mentioned earlier, the 3.1 Trooper/Bighorn is good, and the turning circle is indeed ridiculously small. The 3.0 gained a reputation for grenading itself a la Renault DCi.

One very real weakness of the Rangie for an older owner is that it's bloody difficult to reach into the boot once you've dropped the tailgate. The commercial versions that the French loved so much must have been an utter pain in the arse.

One very real weakness of the Rangie for an older owner is that it's bloody difficult to reach into the boot once you've dropped the tailgate.

very good advice, I struggle with my p38 being a shortarse

I want something ultra reliable as I always end up fixing it, working 100 hours and charging 27p for the privilege

i understand peoples hesitation with cheaper Discovery's (rust, HG's etc) but if you know what you're looking for in the way of problems, they are very good motors and as reliable as any jap 4x4 IF they are maintained. I always have a landy of some sort on the drive.

My current disco 300tdi is for sale but I don't think it would suit an 81 yr old as I'm guessing he's not looking for something with a lightbar, safari snorkel, HD springs & mud tyres. :wink:

So I'd go with previous posters advice and say buy a Terrano, Maverick type thing.

Patrol SWB? My Dad drove a knackered 80s one across East Africa a while ago, it broke down a lot.

More realistically a Daihatsu Fourtrak as they're not quite as unnecessarily huge as the usual Jap crowd, but still SRSLY capable off road.

Or a K-car? Pajero Mini :P

mitsubishi-pajero-mini-01.jpg

Our neighbours have a Pajero Junior, which is slightly bigger than the Pajero Mini. They're like bleedin' russian dolls! Mini, Junior, Pinin and FULL FAT.