Not been on here for a while

504GL

But I picked this up today and felt like sharing

A 56 plate Panda 4x4 for a squidge under 2 grand. Have always quite liked them and this one was too cheap to resist so I jumped in the 500 and drove a little too fast to Blackburn yesterday to have a look and after a short testdrive I popped a deposit down. Was meant to pick it up last night but the wife wasn't feeling well so I hopped on a train and drove it home. Haven't taken pictures of the interior but I probably should. It's yellow and grey and very dirty, almost as if owned by a family of dirty sweaty naturists. Other than the front bumper having a scuff and a crack the paintwork is quite tidy for the mileage. Interior is showing a little wear but I'll get another 2nd hand interior or have it retrimmed.

219rz1f.jpg

2ailwlt.jpg

2kms0p.jpg

35bbjtj.jpg

2co5v94.jpg

Drives really well and on the 120 miles I took to get it home via a dealership to get some filters, it did a rather respectable 46.3 mpg which is not bad considering it's a 4x4. Clutch pedal doesn't come up as quickly as the one on the 500, which could be a slave cylinder, master cylinder or if I'm lucky the fluid just needs changing. Other than that it seems to be mechanically solid :)

Be interested to see how you get on with this; especially with them descending towards my price bracket (i.e f-all!). Could do with one as a backup.

I take it these are non-permanent 4wd, given the mpg figures you got.

Ah well, the trip computer lied. Brimmed it shortly after I got it and did 130 or so miles today. It said it had done 46mpg but real consumption? 36mpg. It is indeed permanent. Still not a deal breaker as it's not going to see a massive of use really. We've got the 500 which is a far cheaper car to run and our Subaru as well.

One thing to mention, they don't often come up this cheap, there's a company called Woodleigh that seem to snap up any examples on ebay or autotrader which are anywhere near reasonably priced and then add 2 or 3 grand on. There was a Panda Cross (a diesel 4x4) that was on ebay one morning for 9 k or so and by the afternoon it was on ebay from them for 3k more.... If this car were with them they'd chuck some seat covers on and have it on the forecourt for 4 grand. I literally saw this one online yesterday, drove to the wifes work to OK it with the her and drove there as quickly as I could, they've got a good reputation and tend to get snapped up quickly.

It does appear to have been taken fairly good care of in terms of the mechanical side of things. one thing I actually want to change is the Avon's as they're a summer tyre. Not sure whether to go for a winter tyre or an all season....

Very nice. Don't know if I'd choose the Panda or 500 if I was buying a new Fiat.

Be interested to see how you get on with this; especially with them descending towards my price bracket (i.e f-all!). Could do with one as a backup.

It uses some fancy modern trickery to switch 4wd on and off based on traction or something, so you get the best of both worlds.

Very nice. Don't know if I'd choose the Panda or 500 if I was buying a new Fiat.

It uses some fancy modern trickery to switch 4wd on and off based on traction or something, so you get the best of both worlds.

The one I've got is permanent 4x4 via a viscous coupling, the 2009 onwards ones and all of the Panda Cross's have a solenoid that engages the drive to the rear wheels. Some models also have ELD which gives you the effect of a locking rear diff my braking individual rear wheels :)

The 4x4 and 500 are very similar but different.

I drove my 500 after driving the Panda for a good 3 hours today and it is a nicer place to be, the plastics are ever so slightly better, it's laid out nicer. But my one pet hate with the 500 is the rear suspension.... my car was made before the rear suspension was upgraded and the rear end doesn't like bumps at all. The Panda doesn't offer DS levels of comfort or anything, but the independent rear suspension makes for a much better ride. They drive much the same, sharing the same platform and just having different rear suspension and springs and damping rates. Both have their charms though :)

Love 'em! Just waiting for a bit more depreciation to set in. They can't be gold dust forever can they?

one would imagine with the new ones hitting next year I think, that it'll start to hit. I guess if I want to make some money I'll sell it this winter if it snows.