Once a Q, always a Q?

garethj

There’s a bitsa on ebay which is registered on a Q plate. If I could prove the parts were from one type of vehicle, could it be given an age related registration?

Having a Q plate doesn’t bother me with kit cars ‘n’ stuff, but this one should have a normal numberplate, don’t know if it’s a stolen / recovered / stripped vehicle or something that’s given it a Q plate.

I imagine you'd end up in a world of pain if you attempted to re-register that from its Q plate - especially since it's already missing its original engine (1 point) & box (2 points). It will have received the Q plate as a result of a VOSA inspection in the first place, so I can't see them changing their minds.

On the plus side, Q-plated vehicles are all deemed to have been first used before 1 January 1975 regardless of their actual year of manufacture, so MoT emissions testing is 'visual only'.

^ not quite.... Q platers are treated as having a date of manufacture of 1/1/71 for everything except emissions (which are indeed tested at 1975 standards) so although a diesel Q plate is visual only, a petrol one needs to meet levels of 1200ppm HC and 4.5% CO.

I imagine you'd end up in a world of pain if you attempted to re-register that from its Q plate - especially since it's already missing its original engine (1 point) & box (2 points). It will have received the Q plate as a result of a VOSA inspection in the first place, so I can't see them changing their minds.

I think you're right. I had a search for the points system and I found

Vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original identity and avoid the need for an SVA test. The following values are allocated to the major components used:

- chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points

- suspension = 2 points

- axles = 2 points

- transmission = 2 points

- steering assembly = 2 points

- engine = 1 point

So if this thing has a chassis, suspension and axles or steering from one vehicle, it should be more than 8 points. But I wonder why it's registered as a later one? And as a Q?

My spidey sense is tingling and says avoid very loud :(

A trader I know was reamed a couple of years ago when he bought a NI registered Land Cruiser. Didn't show up on HPI as anything wrong with it. He flogged it to a chap who wanted to put his private plate on it, chap goes off to DVLA, fills in forms and waits for letter from DVLA to do transfer.

He got the letter, but it said "It's goin' on a Q".

Turned out that the car had been written off by flood damage when nearly new, exported to Ireland, reregistered, then to NI, registered again and back to England...

Cost my trader mate about £15k.

Yeah, I'd rather not do the ringing thing, it's not nice.

This is the ad by the way

$(KGrHqJ,!hwF!P3v6vV7BQPN+1FGYg~~60_12.JPG

Says it's a year 2000 TD5 on a Q plate, but it looks like an early 1990s Tdi to me

I am genuinely surprised that it is not on a g reg and sporting a ved free taxdisk. Or better still be a series I and ripe for free mot.

I hate this bastardising of land rovers. My dad has a very nice iia, it is even on leaf springs which is becoming a bit of a rarity

I've always been puzzled by the Q plate thing - perhaps this should be in the Stupid Questions Amnesty section - under what circumstances does a car have to have one? I can see the SVA (or whatever it's called now) points sytem can be relevant in determining originality but when you see a Zodiac with a V8 and auto trans, different steering, different suspension etc etc why can that continue with its original registration? Thoroughly confused :?