Not an MG in sight

HillmanImp

As the Lancia was on the road today, I suggested to Volksy that we go to this thing that a chap at work was taking about. KNIGHT-CON at Xscape.

Normally the hang out for the great unwashed from Cas Vegas and Ponte Carlo, today was no exception. There were tracksuits and muffin tops as far as the eye could see but what was different to usual was that there were a shed load of shit (not shite, shit) cars for the slack jawed yokels to drool over.

WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!

2012-09-01120116.jpg

WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!

2012-09-01121319.jpg

Batmobile (actually this was pretty fucking sweet:

2012-09-01120103.jpg

WOW! COOL! DeLorean!

2012-09-01115755.jpg

WOW! COOL! DeVO5HerbalEssanceon!

2012-09-01121455.jpg

When I watch the Dukes of Hazard, I would say that back in the day I would have been humbled to have been able to eat my dinner off of Catherine Bach' snatch, these days though she looks like she would probably beat me to it.

2012-09-01115850.jpg

Volksy was a little disappointed that this was not as big as he was expecting. Its was still big but not huge although that might just be because of what was surrounding it.

2012-09-01115524.jpg

Apparently there is a place in New York called Bethlehem and this is nothing to do with the arms deal America have with Israel.

2012-09-01115350.jpg

This was pretty fly too.

2012-09-01121442.jpg

2012-09-01115548.jpg

With one of the 'Celbs' who were at the event

I-Shot-J-R.JPG

A pretty good A-Team van. Even down to the seats inside. Sadly, I did not get the chance to see if there were a load of automatic weapons in the back.

2012-09-01115506.jpg

I have no idea what the owner of this was trying to do?

2012-09-01115257.jpg

One for Billy. What a disgrace. Will someone put PT Cruiser owners out of my misery

2012-09-01115159.jpg

This was pretty cool too IMO

2012-09-01115117.jpg

And another one for Billy:

2012-09-01115407.jpg

At least it was a Regal. That is actually a convicted murderer posing for his photo with it (probably).

As well as the cars there were people dressed up as film and TV characters such as Indiana Jones and Predator. There was also this Predator:

2012-09-01120221.jpg

Here are some Daleks, lightsabres (of a sort), a Tardis and R2D2? Yeah, I have no fucking idea what was going on either.

2012-09-01120857.jpg

WTF seemed to be the theme of the day. There were a bunch of 9 pinters wearing Stormtrooper outfits of varying quality posing with a NY ambulance, An overweight catwoman posing next to a Kitt and Predator hassling people queuing up for a hot dog. By this point I had given up on photos and for the future of the human race.

And lastly, here is a Ghostbuster buying a Latte with what I think was the Incredible Hulk in the foreground with its boyfriend.

2012-09-01120349.jpg

All in all I wish I had not gone but at least we managed to get the Lancia out and about for a spin.

Top caption action! Here be saddoes!

Off topic, I saw the obligatory MGB today, being driven (as always) at 55 mph on the inside lane of a motorway. I went past in me Murena at turbo-hoolie-leptronic speeds, yelling uncouth sayings in French as I did so.

Batmobile (actually this was pretty fucking sweet:

2012-09-01120103.jpg

Agreed! This is what I want if money is ever "No object." Top of the list, even before ...well before everything. No contest.

I have no idea what the owner of this was trying to do?

2012-09-01115257.jpg

I suspect this was part of a display promoting the American Auto Club North West, because this looks very much like the black 1959 Impala belonging to my pals Bert and Val, who live in north-east Manchester. I can't seriously imagine another black-with-red-interior 59 Sport Sedan within striking distance! The bat stickers? Probably all their family and friends call it The Batmobile; it is as near as you'll get in a mass-produced car! You should have gone and said hello, Bert and Val are good people.

WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!WOW! COOL! ITS KNIGHT RIDER!

That did make me laugh out loud :lol:

I remember reading that The Dukes of Hazzard went through about 700 General Lees, with somebody employed full time to buy up Dodge Chargers and convert them. Each scrape the boys got into involved the demise of about a dozen police cars, so they must have gone through thousands of those.

I understand conventions, car meets and the love of film cars but all three together make my brain hurt.

It was like a bizzare accident had happened in TV land, And all the superheros/characters had forgotten what they had arrived in.

It seems to me that there's something tacky and nasty about americana that just acts as a magnet for wankers & slack-jawed retards...

Present company excepted, o' course :lol:

Sweeping Generalisation Alert! Of course you can say that about other varieties of car-fancying too: VAG scening leaps athletically to mind here. But I'm sure there are genuinely nice, helpful, original-thinking people in that group too, just as in any other you care to name. They are, as usual, outnumbered in the public's perception. I'm a truck driver. We get tarred with the brush of the lowest element all the time. It's just the way life is/people are.

Here are some Daleks, lightsabres (of a sort), a Tardis and R2D2? Yeah, I have no fucking idea what was going on either.

2012-09-01120857.jpg

I took my 4-year old to a Star Wars gathering like this last year or the year before. That R2D2 was there, along with the midget who went inside him. The guy was charging 20 quid a pop for an autograph... And the queue was a mile long. :roll: Star Wars nerds - go figure.

Fucks sake like. Was he signing "All the best from R2D2" or "From your mate, Brian Smith (or whatever the fuck his name is)"???

Nice one H.I, much LOLAGE occurred (occured?) at captions. Those PmT Chryslers really do seem to appeal to the council estate Elvis type/CHAV pensioners, don't they?