The fun and games of Bangernomics.

R9UKE

So since the Meg was written off back in February, I've had a new daily driver every month or so. Nothing too shite, but it seems to rapidly be going downhill - might as well put that £39 I pay the RAC to use. The tax is just up on the Laguna V6 and thankfully it suffered none of the issues from Cav's rulebook of a typical Laggy II :P . However... best not to tempt fate by sticking another 6 months rent on it, right?

Replacement? 1998 Laguna 2.0 RT Sport. 4 months test, the same in rent and 106k miles with a timing belt and water pump change at 96k miles. £230. Bargain!

IMG_3343.jpg

It's shite status is cemented by the soft whine from the gearbox at anything over 30, and the severe wheel wobble once you hit 50. The only electrical issue was the remote locking which didn't work. Renault put one lock barrel on the car which is seized solid, so the car would always be open. The other night I took the key apart, cleaned up the circuit board, popped in new batteries, went out to the car and VOILA the thing locked and unlocked like a champ. Now here's where I made the classic dick head move in the heat of fixing something for myself. Yep. I locked it and left it overnight. You can guess the rest.

So now I still need to break into my Laguna (RAC not an option, tight git roadside only, those of you who spent your youth raking around Manchester in a Mark 3 Astra are welcome to provide tips on gaining entry), and the thing pissed me off that much that I went and bought a Peugeot 607 2.2 HDi AUTO WITH 171K MILES. Picking it up this morning. Watch this space as I reckon Bangernomics has plenty in store for me yet :D

Once the locks work it should be pretty much trouble free. The only troublesome things on that age Renault were the coil packs and once replaced were hassle free.

One thing with the entry - I think you've got to point the key fob at the sensor behind the rear view mirror? That might be why it appears not to be working. Proper pain in the ass reaching across the windscreen on her one when it was pissing with rain or the glass was filthy.

You can tell if an Infra Red plipper is working by pointing it at a digital camera, you should see a bright white light.

At one time you could open cars with a coathanger down the door skin but for 1990s chod you have to wedge open the top of the door and use a coathanger to unlock the car.