The dash at night

dollywobbler

As a daft 20 year old, I once spent an entire day removing all the clear bulbs from the dash of my Mk2 Cavalier and replacing them with orange ones.

I waited with baited breath and scuffed knuckles surrounded by broken plastic tabs and clips for it to get dark enough to admire the effect of my genius idea,

Has anyone guessed what the outcome was?

No bloody difference - WHATSOEVER! A whole day and £15 of coloured bulbs resulted in exactly the same lighting albeit possible dimmer.

Anyone got an 80's Audi with the red illumination? Not seen one of those for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of catching up on sleep, I thought 12:00AM would be the ideal time to start playing with the long exposure settings on my camera.

I got up for a pee at 3am, so decided rather than go back to bed to wander down the end of the road and watch the midnight Manc to Blackpool bike race come past. I got some funny looks from the cyclists clad in their Lycra as I stood there applauding them, then realised I sleep in the nude :oops:

Sadly, I love this thread. Dash illumination is such a subtle art.

My Leon was quite nice, all bright red backlit. Although I still like the VW blue and red like Mrs Pillock's Touran, it's note quite as tiring at night.

My new Focus has quite a lot of white but it's insanely bright, the only car I've ever had to turn down at night. And I quite like the "ambient lighting" up near the rear view mirror which casts a faint orange glow down by the centre console.

Ooh, a 205 Rallye?

Couldn't believe my luck when one of those turned up at the dealer round the corner from my mum and dad's, must have been in Summer 2000. Unfortunately, it was belching out black smoke on the test drive and the clutch was buggered, so that was the end of that! :(

Ooh, a 205 Rallye?

Couldn't believe my luck when one of those turned up at the dealer round the corner from my mum and dad's, must have been in Summer 2000. Unfortunately, it was belching out black smoke on the test drive and the clutch was buggered, so that was the end of that! :(

It's a 205 Mardi Gras D Turbo fitted with a Rallye steering wheel which I have had for 18 years hanging up in the house. Its also got the Rallye decals fitted see 3 of my 4 Frenchies thread.