The dash at night

dollywobbler

On 3/3/2020 at 10:09 PM, doug said:

Aye. Was at auction last week. Highest bid was £4000. Bargain.

Sweeeeeet...At that age most likely powered by a Detroit 8V71 or even 12V71 two stroke...

Was lucky enough to be standing nearby when the one at Aberdeen Airport took off at speed (presumably on training), what a truly gorgeous noise.  So sad we never really got the big two stroke diesels here to much extent.

The old Greyhound buses just wouldn't be the same without a Detroit howling (or screaming depending on configuration) out the back...

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Sweeeeeet...At that age most likely powered by a Detroit 8V71 or even 12V71 two stroke...

Was lucky enough to be standing nearby when the one at Aberdeen Airport took off at speed (presumably on training), what a truly gorgeous noise.  So sad we never really got the big two stroke diesels here to much extent.

They're beginning to die out here because dirty/thirsty and you can't get them to qualify for clean idle so are banned from a lot of metropolitan areas now.

Every Wednesday at 5am our 12V71 fires up for generator test. Our neighbors love* us.

Phil

They're dying out everywhere I think...

I'd give my right arm (metaphorically speaking) for a late 40s GM Silverside bus.  Look at buses from here in the 40s...lovely things to see at shows and to chug around town for the odd heritage run.  However it's not something you'd realistically want to go any real distance in.

In sharp contrast, these things with a Detroit 6-71 howling away (straight six, so silky smooth) will quite happily handle motorways at (or above!) the posted speed limits if well sorted.  They were designed to pound along between states at speed while we hadn't even thought of the idea of the motorway...

The reaction of other traffic as a 40s bus howls past them would never get old.

Sadly I'll need a lottery win to afford one.  Plus driving a left hand drive bus in the UK is a bit of a hassle...though I imagine with practice you would get used to that - I've only an hour or so under my belt and that was slightly marred by trying to get my brain around Scania's bloody overcomplicated split ratio gearbox (the top four gears are laid out differently to the preceeding six!)...so I'd like to think with more brain cells available it would be easier.  Though to be fair, owning a 70 year old bus that's on the opposite side of the planet it was made on, confirming to MOT regs not dreamt of when it was built, driving on the wrong side will probably be the least of my worries!

If nothing else I'd pay really good money just to have a shot of one though.  Never drive your heroes?  So far that rule is one I've found to be nonsense...so I don't plan to stop ignoring it now!

We need video footage of that generator if it's feasible though...realise if it's in the workplace that's not always possible.

• 2 weeks later...

The Audi 100. Pleasing red dashboard that's very 80s/90s VAG. The phase 1 C3 had these very Bauhaus clocks with thick indicators which didn't end in a point, these are the more normal VAG ones

Has a brake/headlight tester when you switch the ignition on. Gives a reassuring OK when it's cycled through its (probably very very basic) self checks with an application of the foot brake. 

IMG_20200317_192950.jpg

IMG_20200317_192943.jpg

I was walkingt across the istrial estate at work with a colleague, when we heard what sounded like a low flying jet. We were both looking up scanning the sky, when one of THESE drove round the corner screaming like a banshee.

My initial thought was "Fuck Me! Thunderbirds". We stood there is silence at the driver swung it around and neatly slotted it into the space outaside a diesel engineers there. We then decided to go and take a closer look. It was one of the ones from Bournemouth Airport having an annual engine service. We starterd chatting to the fireman who drove it down who mentioned how much fun it was on the motorway when you get behind people who arent paying attention who then suddenly spot you in their miorror and shit themselves. :D

He let us have a mooch inside as well. The water monitor on the roof is fully counterbalanced and you could move it with one finger. The same aplies when its chucking water too. As for that, he said it carried 10 tons of water and 1.25 tons of foam and could empty both tanks in 3 minutes to a point 150m away.  He said he loved his job, as he got paid to drive this thing as fast as he possibly could.

Welcome to the world of two stroke diesels...they do make a nice noise don't they.  Especially when you chuck two humongous turbos into the mix too.

I was lucky enough to follow one of the machines from Aberdeen Airport when it hammered it off up the dual carriageway (no idea where it was going!) flat out.  Suffice to say I didn't bother overtaking and just spent the next 15 minutes with my windows open listening to the 8V92 sing in front.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Marina door handles said:

Which large and hugely unreliable British car does this dash come from? (its a car I own)

Range Rover P38.  Probably diesel judging by the 4500rpm "redline" on the rev counter.

Presumably the engine is actually running in that picture, the selection of warning lamps is permanent and the rev-counter has failed.  #parforthecourse

7 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Range Rover P38.  Probably diesel judging by the 4500rpm "redline" on the rev counter.

Presumably the engine is actually running in that picture, the selection of warning lamps is permanent and the rev-counter has failed.  #parforthecourse

The ignition was on the first click hence all the lights, the engine wasn't running. But yes its a P38 Diesel. 

On 5/21/2020 at 2:15 AM, jamiechod said:

Using night mode on my new phone seemed the ideal thread to post! E92 3 series bm

20200521_021127.jpg

20200521_021236.jpg

Although I find the orange slightly garish, I think the e82/92/60/whateverthe7serieswas era of BMWs had really nice instruments. Easy to read, clearly labelled, and I LOVE the cruise control indicator on the e92 around the rim of the speedo. Shame they didn't carry it down to the e82 really.

2 hours ago, Marina door handles said:

Which large and hugely unreliable British car does this dash come from? (its a car I own)

IMG_20200711_220217526.thumb.jpg.d5fdbacb89c5579152d00191e714cde9.jpgIMG_20200711_220219364.thumb.jpg.3a05aa201ee03e47b952cec5b9851d2a.jpg

And for something completely different my Scimitar's dash looks like this at night...

IMG_20200711_220440863.thumb.jpg.3885b39cee20545386822e8eadc98c74.jpg

Yet another little job to do,,,,

Having never drove a P38, it does look like a Disco 2 too... 

• 2 weeks later...