The dash at night

dollywobbler

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my latest contribution.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180624_222736.jpg

1973 AC Model 70.

Given how crude the setup is I'm surprised how effectively the speedometer is lit to be honest. It's far from even, but is perfectly legible.

Aarrghh...my eyes...must find sanctuary in...total...darkness...*sob*...

*claps hands over eyes and sees detailed bone structure of fingers*

Tried to do a bit of research into why all Japanese vehicles seemed to use the same typeface for a while. Seems 'New Gothic' was just pretty popular over there during the dawn of the computer in the 80s/90s:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-Japanese-equivalent-of-Helvetica

shingo-font.png

I imagine the few latin fonts that supported Japanese characters probably helped too - they would have to create homegrown typefaces

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

God damn I love Night Panel.

Must be an Aero thing but in the 2.3t I've got, the fuel and boost, etc stay lit. I'm sureo nmy Aero, stuff like fuel, etc only popped on briefly when something of interest, like running out, occured.

Also, have a Mondeo witha fuse blown trying to copy the Saab.

post-23468-0-48687500-1541368718_thumb.jpeg

I think in my 9-3 the speedo was always half lit, the fuel gauge would light up if the level was low, and I think even the rev counter would light up if you gave it beans and got close to the redline.

On my old 9-5 the speedo was half lit till you passed 80 or 85mph then it all lit up & the temp/fuel/boost cluster lit up for low fuel or a temp issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate seeing 1980s Casio Calculator style displays, especially where they haven't even matched the colour to anything. Doesn't even have to be a colour LCD, but plenty of cars had colour matched dot matrix twenty years ago.

the radio is a horendous amber lcd too

• 2 weeks later...

Took this tonight while faffing with the jaaaaaaag, really like the dash in this

The ignition on self test on these looks epic as well. Had forgotten the lovely colour of the backlighting though.

Why do modern manufacturers find it so impossible to consistently colour the backlighting off all controls, displays etc through the car like this?