Ireland

Des

Citroen built cars in RoI from CKD, but I don't remember which model. Some Fords as well.

Ford had a plant in Cork. Apparently productivity was shocking. Quality was crap too - it was the reason my Dad swore off Fords.

Story goes that, per employee, it took them a week to make the same amount of Cortinas as the German plant was putting out in a day... :lol:

Everybody was doing CKD: Citroen, Mercedes, Renault, Rootes. The good old days of protectionism...

The Shamrock is a bit of an odd thing really. I forget the history and cba to Google it. Here's a picture of one in Americaland, check out that tuck.

GreenShamrockCalifornia.jpg

The roof line does it no favours. What an epically doomed bit of shiting history.

1DD960CBA55FB87196AAE6219D2591.jpg

Still would, like.

Citroen built cars in RoI from CKD, but I don't remember which model. Some Fords as well.

Ford had a plant in Cork. Apparently productivity was shocking. Quality was crap too - it was the reason my Dad swore off Fords.

Story goes that, per employee, it took them a week to make the same amount of Cortinas as the German plant was putting out in a day... :lol:

Everybody was doing CKD: Citroen, Mercedes, Renault, Rootes. The good old days of protectionism...

The bit about the Cork Ford plant sounds like 100% pure bullonium, sort of mildly racist, vaguely right wing tosh that casually ignores the fact that a small factory in Cork producing Cortinas at that rate would be actually doing quite well

The bit about the Cork Ford plant sounds like 100% pure bullonium, sort of mildly racist, vaguely right wing tosh that casually ignores the fact that a small factory in Cork producing Cortinas at that rate would be actually doing quite well

Sorry, my numbers were WAY out. Have a read of this sometime: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Are-You-Still-B ... 1905172494

In 1984 Dagenham was knocking out 1000 Sierras a day, while Cork was managing 80... Genk was doing 1400-1500 a day.

I'd say the place would have been shitcanned years before only for the fact that the area had ties to the Ford family.

Come to think of it my first car, in Ireland, was a moggie, and I think it was assembled there, my second car was a Corolla, I have retained the VIN plate as a souvenir, appears it was born in the snake free zone, check the hand engraving.

img3422o.jpg

Never knew they made KE20's in Ireland - cool.

I remember when I was a kid my cousin was a Toyota mechanic and used to bring home all kinds of Toyotas. His own ride was a KE20. I remember my 5-year-old mind thinking the light over the radio was the coolest thing ever. Green light, but flip down the thingamajig and it was some kind of map reading light... :lol: