insurance for garage stored vehicles advice needed please

Guest benno

Hi Chaps,

I know insurance has been done to death but I'm still a little unsure. I've had the renewal through for the insurance for my FSO Caro. It's permanently garaged atm as it has no tax or MOT. The renewal is £72 including a £30 policy issue fee?

The agreed value is £300 and the policy excess is £250. Now as I understand it is a legal requirement to insure said vehicle even though it is on a sorn and doesnt leave the garage atm. I assume insurance is to not only cover the car but also if it happened to set on fire and burn down the surrounding houses.

What I want confirming is that it is a legal requiremnt to have this insurance, how do those of you with many cars tucked away get on with this, it must cost you a fortune? If I do need it is this a fair price?

thanks

Ben

There is no requirement to insure a car that has been declared to be off road. A vehicle that is taxed must be insured. It is your choice whether or not to insure a car that is off road, provided that, if you elect not to insure the car, you must not drive it or park it on a public road until it has insurance, an MOT certificate, and you have bought a tax disc for it (or obtained a free one if the car is pre 1973).

The price quoted seems fair enough for a non roller, although the renewal fee sounds like a wheeze.

I am a nutcase, so all of my heaps are insured, even the right cronkers. I have a group policy, so it ain't too bad. My garage storage fees are daft, however.

Thanks for the replies chaps much appreciated. Going on from that then, lets just say said fso decides to self combust and burns next doors house down as well as my garage. I rent the garage off a local farm estate, it is inbetween two houses. Should I be getting contents insurance for the garage?

This renewal fee bollocks seems to be a new thing this year on my renewal, and my wife's which is with a different company.

Most likely they're hoping people don't notice it or question it. Same as adding on legal protection without asking... :twisted::twisted:

let me get this right - it costs £72 to insure a £300 vehicle off road cover only that the payout would be £50 on after the excess has been accounted for. So, even if the worst happened, the insurance company would be £22 better off!!!!!

that's not a risk and someone is having a giraffe!

I can only assume that they would pay out on any damage to surrounding properties or is it just the car they would pay out on rather than damage caused by the fire to the car. This is my confusion really and I'm questioning what I paid £75 out for last year.

I can only assume that they would pay out on any damage to surrounding properties or is it just the car they would pay out on rather than damage caused by the fire to the car. This is my confusion really and I'm questioning what I paid £75 out for last year.

I wouldnt be too sure. I do know if my house catches fire and burns your house out next door my insurance would not cover it. I cant see car insurance paying out for anything except damage to the car.

Contents insurance won't help; you are thinking of third party liability cover. Your house insurance might cover risks caused by your house exploding. Have a look.

I had missed the bit about the car only being worth £300, sorry. I would not bother to insure it until it is on the road.

Thing is the garage doesnt belong to me well neither does the house, I rent both from different parties. I dont want to tempt fate but I'd be suprised if either of the cars were stolen, I was more worried about public liability. Not sure where I would stand with that one.

I'd say the person renting to you should have public liability, not you. You don't need public liability insurance to rent a house, so, if the garage is no more than a private store, you don't require it. Cancel the insurance, and don't worry about it.

This is correct ^^^

Thanks for all your help guys, the insurance isn't automatically renewed so I will let it lapse. My main concern was that before the car was stored in the garage near my house it was stored in a block of garages owned by the council that was 8 miles from my house so I wanted some peace of mind if the worst happened.

If the car is in a garage then thats were it should be so I doubt you will be held liable. Unless you do something careless that causes a fire hazard or such like.

Dont bother with this 'laid up' insurance, its a rip off, unless the car is of very high value like a Lambo or something. I did that when I sorned my Astra over last winter. I ended up getting bummed when it was time to put the car back to full insurance.

It's "only" a Caro and a 125p, the 125p doesnt have laid up insurance anyway. Both have batteries disconnected. I think I will just forget about the insurance.

Thanks again :)