Morris Oxford Coupe

pompei

I've just clicked on that link to see a picture of the 'cover star' of the current Practical Classics, so I unclicked back here. I have a copy of the magazine that I've nearly finished reading. I haven't read the sherpa coupe article though and probably won't...

Ok.... deep breath ... I like that. I'd actually like to try one.

It used to be the case that if you typed "MGBs are SHIT" into Google, "Pete-M" was the author. I'm proud of this fact. I hate MGBs. They're shit. That looks like the best bit of the MGB but with actual working suspension, and an engine and stuff designed after the war...

I actually think that the early MGB GT is gorgeous to look at. So one that isn't shit to drive actually has appeal.

If I had an MGB GT (likely, one day, as I do actually like 'em) and loads of money (unlikely, ever) I'd be getting a set of those Dunlop knock-offs fitted, as they look ruddy FIT.

iirc this thing costs about £50k, so far out of 'our' league it's hardly even worth thinking about, but the combo of colour + wheels is absolutely fine with me. NEXT!

Looked ace and I reckon they'll be sold out in no time. Suspect a few beardy old boys will be coughing into their string backed driving gloves at the choice of engine, but that'll be their look out.

Pete, I challenge you to an "I hate MGBs more than you do" Competition.

The loser has to buy an MGB.

Does the fact I've already owned one mean I've lost, or that I never have to suffer another?

MLV597R may you rot in mimosa yellow hell. According to DOOVLA, it's been dead since 2000. This suits me fine.

Not generally keen on these new/old cars - Bristol started doing it shortly before they went under, with the 411 I think.

This is a bloody outrage as well

For every LE50 sold, they buy a scrap MGB. Its serial number and registration go to the LE50. Because there is enough of a percentage of original-type parts in the LE50, the DVLA is happy to allow the new car to be classified as that old scrap one ‘repaired'. So it gets exemption from road tax.

That's not an outrage. For every one of these they build an MGB is killed. Therefore they should build thousands of 'em, all tax exempt.

Without getting into the "I HAT MGBS MOAR THAN U" competition, I only mean that I don't see why a vehicle with no historic value whatsoever - such as the Sherpa MX5 - should qualify for an historic road tax exemption. Same as all those modern Land Rovers on ancient identities. Especially when there are cars with genuine historic value around (including some in the Pete_M fleet) which don't benefit because they are post-72 or whatever the cut-off is.

50k seems a lot, but then again the factory wanted something similar for an RV8 20 years ago (I think; memory is failing me a bit here) and this looks a way better bet than that.

Still not my thing though, and not just because of the asking. It's hard to put my finger on, but even leaving aside the antiquated mechanics, MGBs have always seemed a bit... I don't know... common to me, and aside from the wheels this looks no different to any number of others. In my mind, playing word association with MGB invariably dredges up 'generic British roadster', which is unfortunate when you're spending that much on one. Well, that plus the rather unfortunate image that accompanies it.

Early MGB GTs with steel wheels, hubcaps and the massive black Bakelite steering wheel are lovely little things. If you could ban Flame Red \ Wires \ Mota Lita as a restoration option, I think I'd like MGBs far more than I do at the moment.

I'm not sure where Frontline have got £50K from. That's a fucking ridiculous mark up. You could do something similar for under £10k performance wise if not in finish. Find a terminally rusty Mk1 Miata with a BBR Turbo conversion, piss about with the Chris Witor \ Frontline catalogue (yes, I know it's a flagship car for the latter), pay MM5 several hundred quid to fabricate some cradles on the equipment at work - job done. Might have to give the Dunlop knock offs and fancy paint the swerve, mind.

You'd also kill several MX-5s in the process, which suits me fine.

Er.. My name is Holbeck and I am a shite-o-holic. In the past 25 years I have owned 3 of the aforementioned sherpa coupe's.

In 1987 I bought a rough 69 soft top for £275 and ran it until the floor fell out (about 3 months).

A year later I traded in a Chrysler Alpine 1.5S (they gave me £300) for a 73 GT (cost £450) and drove it until it nearly killed me spinning off a frosty road down a bank.

Spool on to 2001 and after a few sherberts I bid on and won on ebay a citron yellow rubbber bumper GT. I nice unmolested car. I joined the owners club, read the first edition of the magazine to drop through the letter box, realised my mistake put it back on ebay and got most of my money back.

I have been clean for just over ten years. I tell this story in the hope others will not be tempted to waste their lives or money when there are so many other interesting motors to own.

It is £50 grands worth and I share concerns about just how well one of these actually does on the DVLA points score seeing as it's pretty much brand new and uses a Mazda MX5 engine and 'box.

I'd prefer a slightly-down-at-heel chrome-bumpered GT. I think they're actually rather charming as long as you don't expect an actual sports car.

I read the "scrap an old one" quote and had a massive WTF in regards tax exemption. But once I'd thought about it, surely most classics that get a heritage reshell (or even the full bare metal and many new panels treatment) will end up with mostly new stuff bolted to it. It's a big reason that most cheque book restorations of the standard issue classics don't really appeal to me. I wouldn't pay £50k for one but then I can't see any point in time that I would buy a new car

I read the "scrap an old one" quote and had a massive WTF in regards tax exemption. But once I'd thought about it, surely most classics that get a heritage reshell (or even the full bare metal and many new panels treatment) will end up with mostly new stuff bolted to it. It's a big reason that most cheque book restorations of the standard issue classics don't really appeal to me. I wouldn't pay £50k for one but then I can't see any point in time that I would buy a new car

Very true, but that's at least in the spirit of the original. If you're throwing away most of the old stuff entirely and putting new replacements in of an entirely different design, then using the old ID just looks like a tax dodge. The live rear axle might be a nod to the original, but even that is coil sprung rather than leaf like the original.

Early MGB GTs with steel wheels, hubcaps and the massive black Bakelite steering wheel are lovely little things. If you could ban Flame Red \ Wires \ Mota Lita as a restoration option, I think I'd like MGBs far more than I do at the moment.

Agreed. Can I also add Minilites, and wood dash trim kits to your ban list? What you describe and the following are the only Sherpa sports that would tempt me - late chrome bumper roadster (so chrome grille surround but black mesh / honeycomb centre instead of chrome slats) with the deep factory type front spoiler, and running a wide set of wolfrace slot mags (I'm guessing off a Scimitar??). Although tbh, I'd still rather get my Sprite working again, and the Mamba wheels refitted.