Spotted's Spottings (2023 final holiday updates 08/10/23)

Spottedlaurel

Great and electic mix as always.That Clubman Estate looks wrong, something about the colour and the trims. The white potential Cooper does look nice though.Pic(k) for me is the blue P100 a couple of pages back, that is hot stuff..Cheers, Greg.

Splendid haul! Somerset has a real treasure trove of all types of machinery.

Posted Image

Short lived 'Clayton' class. You'd be amazed to hear they didn't even live long enough to be renumbered in the 'tops' class numbers. Yes its true.

Anyway, the Datsun co-incidence is pretty cool. What a shame it wasn't something a little less obvious. Is the Samurai sticker signify a modded or was just a standard vesion?

Splendid haul! Somerset has a real treasure trove of all types of machinery.

Posted Image

Short lived 'Clayton' class. You'd be amazed to hear they didn't even live long enough to be renumbered in the 'tops' class numbers. Yes its true.

Anyway, the Datsun co-incidence is pretty cool. What a shame it wasn't something a little less obvious. Is the Samurai sticker signify a modded or was just a standard vesion?

tis not sir, I am compelled to correct you... this is a class 14 teddy bear, also very short lived, with most being sold into industrial use! Not sure if they gained tops either (don't think so though!).

m0rris

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Interesting Minor which passed us rather rapidly on the M5. Mrs SL barely had time to get the camera out before it had disappeared. DVLA says 3500cc, so presumably runs a Rover V8. Not evident here is the fact it runs a lowlight front end. Anyway, very nicely done and great to see it being used – it was midweek, so presumably not out for a show or anything.

Just seen some better pictures posted of it on RR.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how to change thread title? Should add "Updated......"

These pic's from a small local yard. Mr Bo11ox, they've got two Vauxhalls with suitable fuel pumps if you have a problem with your replacement.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BTW, not going to post too many scrapyard pic's here. I've got several hundred due to be stuck into a gallery on Retro Rides soon.

were in this yard, as im in the middle of moving to wisbech and i remember seeing it in practical classics a few years ago.

lee

This one's actually more in South Norfolk, not Wisbech sadly. I'm not too up on the yards over that way.

have you got a post code or something its near so i could have a look please.lee

• 2 weeks later...

A 1-litre engine in that Camry Solara I saw would have been more than adequate, given the speed we were travelling on the M25...

Slightly overdue update, been getting them onto Flickr regularly enough but it takes long enough to get the titles, descriptions, tages etc on there let alone post them to here :oops:

Order of these could be a bit random, but here goes...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lucky find this one, he was trying to reverse out of his driveway as we drove past. He managed to get out behind us, so I couldn't resist pulling over to let him past so Mrs SL could get some half-decent snaps.

Posted Image

Bit disturbing to find this in our village, second time this year for stuff to be dumped and burnt out.

Posted Image

Recent survey spot. This International Harvester dates from 1963 and the engine is a mighty 573cc diesel. Unusual cab.

Posted Image

It's good to see un-Trotterised Reliants still about, I can just imagine its owner. Seen in a very rural area of North Suffolk.

Posted Image

A35, plus Uno (which I didn't notice at the time). I was actually looking for an Acclaim which I'd previously seen parked here.

Posted Image

Properly classy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This 2CV looked to be an everyday car, parked in the disabled bays of Somerfield.

Edit: More to come...

As a hint of the random stuff I'm chucking onto my Flickr account, this scan is from a photo taken in New Jersey, 1999...

Posted Image

And this came from a leaflet to mark the introduction of Datsun to Howes' dealerships.

Posted Image

Saw this in Cambridge circa 1992-93. Stayed here for a few weeks as I recall.

Posted Image

Right, back to the more recent past...

Posted Image

I recently had a hugely enjoyable trip to the track day at RAF Marham, with many thanks to ScrapMan. The Autobahnstormers had fun there.

Posted Image

Think this had a 318iS engine, got a ride round in it and it was pretty well-sorted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was being raced before I was born! Still had a few old scrutineering tags inside it. Of interest to me was the fact that it was raced by Hugh Wheldon, who I only knew of as an apple farmer local to us in Suffolk, but I then found out years later he was big in racing Minis.

Posted Image

ScrapMan's MX5. It was very good fun being passengered in this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There was a good variety in attendance.

Posted Image

Oops, gone back in time again. Simca Aronde in the Pyrenees, 1986.

Posted Image

Back up-to-date, and somewhat more local.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This packed Legacy replaced a 405 estate that was always equally rammed. Boot sale stock?

Posted Image

Had a chat with the owner of this 2.2 Camry and left him my number. Got a call recently, but it had failed its MoT and they wouldn't have been particularly cheap things to fix and he wanted a bit too much for it, so I presume it's now scrapped :(

Posted Image

Driver of the big truck delivering this Seddon Atkinson said he was meeting someone locally. Be interested to see if it crops up at a show, but sad if it went for export or something...

Posted Image

The chap dabbles in selling a few cars, he's had this nice 100 for a while now.

Posted Image

We drove past there today, I didn't see this 323 but the 309 is now out on his 'forecourt'. Might take a detour that way and see how much it is, Mrs SL thought the price started with 2 and it said it had T&T...

Posted Image

Saw another one of these earlier in the week.

Posted Image

Back to 1991. I paid far too much for the Manta. 604 in the ad sounds interesting, listed in the Classics section of the local paper but back then would be the equivalent of a mid-90s 605!

That'll do for now, just straying into photos from a couple of shows...

Posted Image

A35, plus Uno (which I didn't notice at the time). I was actually looking for an Acclaim which I'd previously seen parked here.

Hmm. I saw this A35 on Ebay about 18 months ago - Looked pretty good and was very local to me...I was just about to arrange a viewing when the listing was pulled. Someone had offered the seller cash for it. A few weeks later the car turned up on ebay again, this time in Stevenage.

Where is it now out of interest?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that is pure lush 8)

I agree, That R12 is a great spot, I'm loving the fact it's also being driven by a old man as well, I knew a old boy years ago who had one, It rarely left his garage though.

Posted Image

I had one of these follow me through Ipswich a few days ago whilst i was driving my 02, He came racing up behind me and i could see him grinning away, Then i stopped at some traffic lights he came up beside me and gave me a big smile and a pair of thumbs up (Like special friend in the Inbetweeners for those of you who have seen it) and whizzed off, I couldn't stop laughing!.

Gah! People keep spotting two door black A35s...OAP Renault spot is class!Also amused at the lack of Datsuns in that old dealer photo.Love the Simca under the stairs

Angry Dicky, be interesting if the A35 has strayed away from Suffolk (where I saw it). I tried putting the number into DVLA but nothing came up.The R12 was definitely pleasing, it always seems to me that something owned without a shred of irony or awareness of it being a 'classic' truly count as a proper spot.Howes dealer shot might be worth looking at a larger size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7430965@N0 ... 261441@N23There's a '66-ish Mustang there and an old Sunbeam Rapier. Apparently Howes were also Rootes dealers which would explain some of the stock on show.Can't believe it was 23 years ago I took that Simca photo. It was at some abandoned-looking cafe or something up in the mountains, now wish I'd taken a photo of the building too.

Henham Steam Rally, late September:

Posted Image

Anyone want to buy a rather large Foden?

Posted Image

Four of these were chained together and trundled around the oval wooden track.

Posted Image

Conspicuous.

Posted Image

Both these were first registered in Suffolk within a few weeks of me being born there. Also saw another CBJ...H plate on a Ventora.

Posted Image

Nice pair of crabz. Shame about the plaque boards.

Posted Image

I think I had a dream about this 3-litre last night.

Posted Image

Nice set-up. I do like Corsairs.

Posted Image

Nice.

Posted Image

Great choice of wheels.

Posted Image

Comically small tail-lift. Might have belonged to one of the stationary engine people.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lots of lorries there.

More later, must crack on with a bit of decorating and filling a skip.

Henham Steam Rally, late September:Nice pair of crabz. Shame about the plaque boards.I think I had a dream about this 3-litre last night.

Wish there was some link in Flickr pic URLs to "original" as it took me ages to find them so I could leave invites to http://www.flickr.com/groups/landcrab-and-maxi/ . :-(I see you've been busy popping photos on to Flickr and I've left you a few more comments. I think I'd left invites when some of them were on Photobucket?

I see you've been busy popping photos on to Flickr and I've left you a few more comments. I think I'd left invites when some of them were on Photobucket?

Yes, I got the invites but there seemed to be no easy way of doing anything with them. You should find that I've now uploaded most of them to Flickr, hopefully the ones that'll interest you most will be in my Land Rover and BMC, BL, ARG etc sets.

Angry Dicky, be interesting if the A35 has strayed away from Suffolk (where I saw it). I tried putting the number into DVLA but nothing came up.

Well it lived in Westcliff-on-Sea for about 15 years up until recently, the owner had spent a lot of money on it but had never got it on the road. I noticed the Suffolk registration at the time, so it is nice it has 'gone home' as it were. The seller made a big thing about the number plate, but there were no documents to link car and number so it would have been a struggle to reclaim it on a non-transferable basis. As it isn't on the DVLA computer, it doesn't look like much has been done with it.