Spotted's Spottings (2023 final holiday updates 08/10/23)

Spottedlaurel

I don’t know if there is a problem signing up to the Datsun forum, have heard someone else mention it yet I’ve seen one or two new faces there recently. Give it another try and let me know at what stage the problem occurs.RW, not sure about the 505. I think it was cheap and fairly local.The 405 is on the road I believe, though he says it struggles to start if left for more than a couple of days.

I've just checked it out - I never got my Email back from the administrator for approval.Quite a funny situation really, it's usually people on other forums saying they can't get on Autoshite, not the other way round!

Abso-bloody-lutely amazing!! :shock: What a fantastic place. That big Yank station wagon makes me chuckle- look how comically short the door windows are relative to the ones in the wagon part. The boot must be VAST. Could probably park a Volvo estate in there!!

Posted Image

Very tidy Stellar in bandit country (nr Downham Market). Private plate even has my initials on it, fate? I didn't leave a note or knock on the door, already regret it! Mr_Bo11ox, I can give you directions if ever you're out for a trundle round that way.

Well, the delivery of an old 100A engine and gearbox took me past this place again, and I was very pleased to see it still on the driveway! Had to dig back to March 2007 to find this post, in the meantime I had gone through the village several times but it wasn't about.

Had more time today, so knocked on the door and after apologising for interrupting his meal I had a chat with the cheery chap who owned it. Just had a fresh MoT, which apparently was a problem due to the struts being in need of replacement but being unavailable. He says it ended up with adjustable struts of some sort from a local bloke who does rallying prep!

Lacquer's going flat and peeling, and there is a bit of grot in the arches, but he said he'd call when it becomes available. This year's hassle with the MoT means it'll probably be next year. He's had it from new.

Plate won't come with it, though if it doesn't have enough MoT will he be able to retain it?

Modest update...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Iwan's snaps of the Pony we saw on the M25 on the way back from Datman's a couple of weeks or so ago.

Posted Image

My old 240K GT! Good to see it again, happily resting at Stuyizz's charmingly located rural workshop.

Posted Image

Concluding that weekend, this is probably the last shot of my laurel on UK soil for some time, as it awaits the ferry at Ramsgate. I sold it to Iwan and it now lives in Holland. Something new coming soon...

Posted Image

So, this is the current state of my fleet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wolseley crab! Looks a bit sad, note the strap suggesting it dodn't make its own way there.

Lovejoy drove around in one of those Datsun 720 pickups!About Jaywick, there's certainly a big static caravan park right after you've gone past all the funny old places which date back to the '30s I believe. I saw a 280C estate down there some years ago, tatty as anything.

Tower Park. We used to own a caravan there and also a holiday bungalow in one of those funny old places. 21 Singer Avenue as I recall! :oops:Sold up when it became jumbo pikey world.

Lovejoy drove around in one of those Datsun 720 pickups!

....And I actually saw him in it! :shock: They filmed a lot of that stuff in/around mine & S.L's home town of Sudbury....One day, I was returning a Porsche 928 to a wealthy female customer in Belchamps (just outside Sudbury)....I rounded a bend in the lane, only to find Ian McShane (complete with black leather jacket and mullet!) sitting in the middle of the road in his grey 720, awaiting his cue to go barrelling up the long drive of the house they used as "Felsham Hall" he gave me a thumbs up for waiting....One of those surreal moments in life! :D

That 'Crab is a really nice colour - its similar to a Vanguards model I have of the same car - is it Teal Blue or something?

Yeah I think so. I have a Morris Marina Vanguards model that colour thats appartently Teal Blue!
Is it my eyes, or is the Crab metallic? To the best of my knowledge, Teal was a straight colour.... :?

You sold the Laurel 'Hardtop' thingy?OMGZ. I thought that was the most winning pimp NissanDat ever?:sadness:Sensible / fiscal decision?Or is the replacement going to be even more faux-pimp and generally awesome cool?

It was a wonderful car, but something else came up for sale which coincided with me having small amount of additional money available and it seemed like a good opportunity for a change. New car is in awesomely good condition (I think!) and a bit older. Until I've completely paid for it and it's tucked up here in my garage I shall say no more about it...Apart from it being a shame that the hardtop is no longer in the UK, Iwan is the perfect owner for it. As Ratdat will testify, it's unlikely he'll be ripping out the interior, chucking in an RB25DET and taking it drifting. It will live in a workshop complete with his other Laurels, Cedrics and sundry smaller Datsuns/Nissans, and hopefully one day he'll bring it back here for a visit. Our Dutch friends from here and elsewhere should get to see it on events over there.Yes Baz, the crab was metallic. I also saw the bright green DS when we were over that way too!

Yup, planning to be at The Angel on Wednesday. Be going straight from work though, so see you there OK? I’ll be in the Bluebird.

Sounds good. I know Lilla wanted to go and see Lisa during the next Angel meet, but we now have friends from Lincoln staying. We'll have to bring Robert over to you at some point soon.Sorry, back to Spotted's spotted thread...

• 3 weeks later...

Odds end ends, nothing earth-shattering but an interesting selection of early-80s GM-shite:

Posted Image

I like these, bet they'd make a lovely daily.

Posted Image

Speaking of which, this one's doing a fantastic job of that. Couple of work trips gave me the excuse to use the second tripmeter. Building behind not a bad drop of early 1970's office shite, sadly I'm designing a scheme that will involve its demolition.

Posted Image

Mismatched wheeltrims aside, this looked pretty tidy. Note another lesser-spec Bluebird in the background.

Posted Image

Old GM with only one tail light #1. Have snapped a Chevette saloon at this spot before, as they were parked very near each other I guess it belongs to the chap who also owns this...

Posted Image

Old GM with only one tail light #2. Funny how this is actually two years or so older than the Chevette. Also funny how the memory I have of a low-spec FWD Kadett that was parked just yards from this spot, but 20+ years ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top drawer Nova saloon action! Very period wheeltrims too. Just after we saw this I noticed a beige, low-spec Capri Mk3 but we were both on the move so no pic.

That's it, though got an old truck or two to investigate near work. One or two bonus pic's of vehicles not shown above to be seen in my OJC update.

Posted Image

I love these Astra Saloons as I have never quite worked out why they made them? GM anxious about putting off Chevette Saloon owners who are looking for a new car? I hope it has the recessed round lights in the standard trapezoidal aperture.

I also hope this resto continues aplomb.

Also re the earlier Teal Blue query, I've just checked my Vanguards Marina and it is indeed a solid colour, where as my Wolseley 'Crab is a metallic colour. My bad. Theres one the same colour headlining the feature on said car on ARO.

• 5 weeks later...