Four bags of sand

mk2_craig

I actually think Herr Bo11ox is cock-on with his assessment; there's a lot of dreamers/timewasters on the RR selling subforum but a bit of nous usually weeds them out. However - if you turn buyers away for something because an individual calls "first dibs", only to be let down, that's annoying. Particularly if it happens several times in succession.Selling a car - regardless of what it is - just seems like a massive pain in the arse at the moment.Glad to hear the 525i lives on, Reverend. We all know that it's easier and (more and more) lucrative to frag something old, but if it still has life in it, that's a good result.

Agreed but I'd hold a car for a short while for one of the regulars. It's a trust thing I suppose and I can sort of try and get an idea if the person is likely to be genuine or not. Can't be right 100%b of the time but I wouldn't hold something for weeks on end waiting. Seven days tops (unless I'm desperate) then they've had plenty of time.I did let one of the lads on there down (Brian Damaged I think) to my eternal shame, but generally if I'm going to buy something I buy it

Glad to hear the 525i lives on, Reverend. We all know that it's easier and (more and more) lucrative to frag something old, but if it still has life in it, that's a good result.

I don't think I would have fragged in in all honesty. It still ran and drove fine, I didn't need the space or the money. It would have just sat around and been used occasionally.

I'm not a believer in that 'first dibs' shit at all to be honest.First man (or woman) to my front door with a bunch of cash gets the keys.People who hum and haw over a deal for an eternity like that Chris fucker need a good kick in the stones. :twisted:

I think it's more the fact that his modus operandi seems to be: jump straight in, crow on that he has secured the car, then a few days later the seller comes back on to say it's available for sale again, 9 times out of 10 he (Chris) says nothing.TBH if you look at the amount of stuff "spazdaguy" says he's going to have as well, it's a similar amount*.* In fairness I sold my 323 to him, nice enough fella, but I'd say he has champagne ideas on beer money (which my 323 definitely was) :lol: Pete-M: Your username seems familiar from uk.rec.cars.adverts - does that group still exist? One of their number - "SteveH" aka Twinspark - was on here a year or so ago until he threw his toys out of the pram.

I agree with the above, I sold my Volvo to Torsten last year through Retro rides. One phone call, no trouble, even offered to give me the full asking price up front.Why people can't do deals like that is beyond me, i mean, why post up the whole soap opera for everyone to see. Whats so difficult about the following process... You see the car for sale, you call the seller, you go see it, you say yes or no, you buy it or you don't. Simple!

why post up the whole soap opera for everyone to see. Whats so difficult about the following process...

...but that wouldn't demonstate that 'you da man', which is very important on the internet. It's a bit like people who post 'you have pm' with the intended meaning 'see how I am a decisive man of business' :lol:

It's a bit like people who post 'you have pm' with the intended meaning 'see how I am a decisive man of business' :lol:

:oops: I must admit i'm guilty of the "you have PM" post, however, I nearly missed a buyer of a car I was selling, as i dont normally 'log in' everytime to check for private messages.

Will let you off - but ONLY if you're not also guilty of replying to 'Best xyz?' threads by just naming an example of xyz without saying what's good about it (with the intended meaning: 'admire the macho/clever/exclusive tastes of my net.persona! I have no experience of xyz')

TBH I always see posting the message 'you have a PM' as purely a means to make sure that person is aware. Although I have set mine to display a pop up message should somebody 'PM' me so that I'm instantly aware of it but it is a tick box you have to select if you want to have that, so plenty of people probably haven't bothered!Of course that is not to say that plenty of people don't see typing 'you have a PM' in that way or do it for that reason! :wink:

I do the 'you have pm' thing, usually if I'm interested in something for sale. This is because I've pm'd people before who haven't seen it before someone gets in and also because some people either don't know how to use pms or don't check them.

Luckily my faith in hanging on if I get a gut instinct the potential buyer is genuine seems to have paid off. Just had a call from one of the RR crew who is coming tomorrow to look at my car.

Going back to what someone else said about turning up, paying cash and getting off I bought a Vectra estate from a lad on RR a couple of weekend ago. Train up to Donny, he met me at the station, I test drove the car (was very happy with it) and paid cash on the spot and drove home again. Shoom shoom, dosh dosh everyone was happy.

That Vectra estate was cheap wasn't it!

Very, and he offered it to me even cheaper than the asking price. Drove it back at 80 odd all the way home and never missed a beat. In fact it drove like a 6 month old car.He even picked me up from the railway station on his birthday after just having come off nights. Cracking fella and the car was seriously under described.

I'm still watching a thread unfold on RR where it's starting to get a bit, erm, 'tetchy'.

Haha, I posted on that thread.......he seemed to take offence at my tongue in cheek replies...even with a smiley.Totally went about that the wrong way though didn't he, should have just said 'bought this cheap to sell on' and actually had the car!
It's weird, having located the thread in question....http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=FSW&action=display&thread=43206There doesn't seem to be an actual originating post made by the 'so called vendor', the beginning of the thread starts with a reply to the subject......surely you can't create a topic without making an actual post?? :?:?: The replying posts have to be replying to the original post, which is missing!

The author can erase the original message. If there are no replies, the thread will also disappear. In this case, as there were several replies, the original post has gone, butwhat comes after stays. I assume this was an (unsuccessful) attempt by the OP to remove the whole debacle from the records...

I assume this was an (unsuccessful) attempt by the OP to remove the whole debacle from the records...

OP being? The author? I'm guessing that mods can remove the whole thing if deemed necessary....in fact I know they can, it's been done on here before, just once or twice! I was thinking along the lines that there must have been a post there originally (as it doesn't make sense without one) but for some reason had been removed. I was thinking surely not for reasons that it was deemed unsuitable by anyone as it was the originating post so highly unlikely to contain any foul mouthed or stinging remarks or comebacks about something or someone (which RR filters out anyway!). Must be when vickytlc decided that he was going to pull the plug on it after the general response he was getting! :wink:

I think he just deleted the original post (OP), dunno when he did that like cos it was there last time I looked.TLC came out of that episode looking like a right cock spanner! I think the correct term for what happened is that his ass got PWN3D ALL OVER TEH INTERNETS.

Hey ho, that's not to say you can't be minted and also love tat. There's a fella in Gloucestershire going by the username of "verytallbrad" on Rover forums that is seriously coined, but is still eccentric enough to have purchased an example of every single derivative of the Rover 800 ARG ever built. He reckons it's about 107 different cars. Apparently he's going to build a private museum to house 'em all - top work!Anyway, it's pretty clear that most members of RR will give vickytlc a wide berth in the buying/selling stakes, so I guess that's justice done, really.

Sounds like the stuff legends are made of. Presumaby if he's well coined up he'l make a better job storage wise than that halfwitted Irish feller that bought up all the remaining Fiat 132's and left them to rot in his field, before dying from the stress of owning em and leaving them to get weighed in by his family.

I didn't know he owned an RR Sport to be honest, but he has a business or two in Manchester I think (not car related). Like anyone else I can only really go on my dealings with him and he's been very fair, honest and straightforward.The V5 could easily be a mistake by our Welsh chums at DVLA. Over recent years they seem to be spectaculary shite at paperwork and I've got at least two log books for the same car.

funnily enough 'our welsh chums' just sent me a none 'sorn' fine for a Fiat 126 deville i owned when i was 14 (i'm now 32). The car met its maker in Greece in 1991. guess there finally putting all the old V5's into a database :roll: