Four bags of sand

mk2_craig

As far as I know vehicles that were last taxed before 1997 don't need to be SORNed.

I've just had a letter to that effect from DVLA following my SORNing a car last taxed in 1983! :-)They are still threatening to "set the dogs on me" though. :-(Another email from DVLA says I can't tax the car online as it is SORNed. Talk about not knowing what they are doing!

What happens in the case where a vehicle was taken off the road post-1998 and declared SORN, but the registered owner has never since received a reminder from DVLA since despite changing address once and subsequently updating the car's details (engine number) ? Would that person theoretically be liable to several years' worth of fines for not annually declaring SORN despite that person no longer knowing what month SORN is due in?They also seem to have moved the goalposts, as initially you had to quote an address the vehicle was parked up at but I think that's no longer asked for? :?

What happens

Probably depends on what day of the week it is and what way the wind is blowing! :-)I'm sure the local offices are just there to compete with each other as to who can produce the most paperwork and annoy the greatest number of "customers". LOLLooks like I'll have to visit one of the above "holes" (with sleeping bag and tent, of course) to sort my road tax out. :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

How about this Charade then, 30-something k miles on the clock

Posted Image

I don't know when they stopped selling these, but lets assume its at least eight years old. Overpriced?

The author can erase the original message. If there are no replies, the thread will also disappear. In this case, as there were several replies, the original post has gone, butwhat comes after stays. I assume this was an (unsuccessful) attempt by the OP to remove the whole debacle from the records...

Hmm. There was an Irish poster of dubious renown who hassled me for my Celeste, who claimed variously on various forums that he had 24, 42 or 6 racing cars, that did this.

The author can erase the original message. If there are no replies, the thread will also disappear. In this case, as there were several replies, the original post has gone, butwhat comes after stays. I assume this was an (unsuccessful) attempt by the OP to remove the whole debacle from the records...

Hmm. There was an Irish poster of dubious renown who hassled me for my Celeste, who claimed variously on various forums that he had 24, 42 or 6 racing cars, that did this.
You know, pog's bezzie M8

• 2 months later...

More comedy pricing for old junk from my weekend away, proving that it's not what you're selling, it's where you're selling it and who you're selling it to

Posted Image

Making this seem almost good value in comparison. Almost

Posted Image

Mileage indeed low, but just how many miles are you gonna clock up on an island measuring three square miles :lol:

• 3 years later...

Okay so. How much would you pay for a '93 Scorpio? 2.9 auto, ex-taxi (still had the meter inside!!) but apparently only 71k, according to the odometer. Slightly scabby in places, photos make it look better than it is.

P1030001-1.jpg

P1020999-1.jpg

P1030002-1.jpg

Three hundred quid perhaps?

P1020998-1.jpg

Oh.

• 5 months later...

Still plenty of comically overpriced motors advertised here. How about a 25 year old Merc 190E with 7000 on the clock, £12k? (newspaper ad not scanned due to chronic can't-be-arsed-ness)

Or perhaps a low mileage Mondeo floats your boat. It would have to float it pretty good like for 2 grand:

mondeo-ad.jpg

https://www.jtinsight.com/Classifieds/V ... eo-estate/

just a caveat about about that blue pile of pooh..............it does have a 4 digit number plate, which is worth between £750, and £1250, so the car is only about £1500 over priced...........

The Mondeo is apparently mint. There are bargains to be had over here, 68k mile Merc 190, needed top hose, and a leak from the expansion tank Aralditing, and an exhaust rattle...........£80!

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...