Four bags of sand

mk2_craig

I've tried to keep all my Channel Island spottings of note on the one thread, which one day is gonna become a pretty decent prescribed cure for insomnia HOWEVER: I thought these interestingly-priced Rovers deserved their own separate airing - and note they were taken a week or two ago, not in 2001...

To tempt you into purchasing a Rover 100, the ads in the local rag point out that you get a "FREE MP3 PLAYER" when (if) you buy the car

Posted Image

Less than 10,000 on the clock sir.

Posted Image

Can't stretch to the convertible? This 5-door is just half the price!

Posted Image

Or for something with a little more room in the boot.

Posted Image

I don't know the age, but both pre-date the desperate final MGR facelift so with that in mind, I wonder how far off top retail book value the asking prices actually are?

Posted Image

I don't know the age, but both pre-date the desperate final MGR facelift so with that in mind, I wonder how far off top retail book value the asking prices actually are?

I would think an '03' MGZS/R25 would be about £2995 on Joe Average Car Lot these days. So a bit steep, perhaps.

Seven large for a 2003 Rover 200 series? I'd be willing to bet they were only about that much new.I wouldn't say they were top book, I'd say they were well over it. I take it the choice of cars on the island isn't exactly incredible or something?Hmm, how much is a ferry over there? I could make a killing over there!

I would think an '03' MGZS/R25 would be about £2995 on Joe Average Car Lot these days. So a bit steep, perhaps.
'The Guide' [1] puts an '03' R25 'impression S' 3dr (which that seems closish to) at £2875 retail with 54k on the clock. The MG ZR is slightly more, but not enough to make much of a difference.[1] insert dramatic "Da DAhh DAAAAAAAAH" noise [2][2] watch any chance of popularity wander off now I'm a trader in the open..

Does anyone care if you are a dealer? I'm still watching a thread unfold on RR where it's starting to get a bit, erm, 'tetchy'.What guide do you use if you don't mind me asking, Glasses or CAP? I prefer the latter though I've not bought it in a while now.

One suspects that this is either an unscrupulous finance deal for people who cannot get credit or an unscrupulous money laundering operation where selling the cars to real punters is not the object.I mean anyone with any sense is not going to pay those prices.

Does anyone care if you are a dealer? I'm still watching a thread unfold on RR where it's starting to get a bit, erm, 'tetchy'.

Yeah, I'm watching that too. I have no problem with folk buying stuff to sell on again instantly - if you are the first to show up with the money, then the car should be yours, to do what you want with it. 'Nuff said.If said person turns the car around for a profit, fairy nuff once again. If you wanted to buy that car (originally) to keep, you should have got there more quickly with the original seller. Let's face it, there are a lot of folk on RR sales posts that make noises about buying something without doing anything concrete...Said person in RR thread does appear to be hoovering up everything cheap, which some have taken offence at, but also seems to have been attempting to sell stuff that they don't actually own (yet) - which seems a bit sinister or could be construed as blatant profiteering.Moral of the story seems to be if you make a profit, make it invisible...you've got to be a bit daft to buy something on RR (say) then try to sell it on RR shortly afterwards, for a profit, without doing anything to it. Anyone with nous can check your previous posts, and if they've all been in the For Sale section, then you can draw your own conclusion. Same applies to eBay, if you use the same username of course.I've sold a couple of cars where I've made a round of drinks on the deal, buying from one medium and selling through another, and the buyer has been happy. I'm certainly not a trader though - just don't have the balls. I'm moderately good with the spanners and polishing mop, but not enough to jack in the day job and do it full time. Hence I salute those who do, and don't take the piss, as I suspect the RR community think that said individual is doing.Another forum I've used - and I can't for the life of me remember which one it was - had a systemic control that only allowed you to post in the For Sale section once you'd posted a certain number of messages elsewhere. Something for the mods to consider, perhaps.Caveat emptor at the end of the day.

Totally agree. I have actually had to hold myself back from buying quite a bit of stuff on RR because I generally spend a lot of time on the net. I've had a fair amount of stuff from there and it's not fair for me to grab everything.If something's been advertised for a while and no-one else has jumped in it's a different matter though.As you say scoring something cheap off there and trying to sell it on the same forum isn't going to do anyone any favours. Also invisible profits are fair game I reckon and there are at least two other dealers/traders on there which I know for a fact.What bugs me quite a bit is when people question how much someone has paid for something bought elsewhere. Who blooming cares how much they paid for it? To these people I ask this: if you bought a lottery ticket for a quid and won three million would you sell the ticket for a quid? No you blooming well wouldn't.Live and let live, some things Vic has done are wrong but at the end of the day he's only trying to get by: he's not stealing stuff or dealing in narcotics that I'm aware of and he's actually a really nice lad. I'm not trying to condone anything he may have done wrong incidentally.

Last few times I've "listed" cars on RR over the last couple of years, folk have told me they were too cheap! (Mk3 Cav*, 323, 405 wagon and 406). That said, only the 323 sold through RR...forums are popular because there are no advertising costs.That said, I can't believe how much stuff doesn't get sold instantly, if you know what I mean. That TD Xantia a couple of weeks back is a case in point - can't believe a perfectly usable car got weighed in. I was tempted myself at £150, until the second 405 estate came up. I went through a "can't resist that" phase last year, and when I ended up with 6 cars it all got a bit daft - just didn't have enough time to "tend" to them all! :roll:* Cav was sold on Vxon to a fella who came all the way from Cardiff the same day. Clutch went a few weeks later apparently but I believe he still has it...

VXON (amongst others) is one of my haunts.Agree about some cheap cars and the Xantia was a classic example. It's unreal to see people can't shift stuff cheaper than scrap, especially something useable like that. You can't win them all though: I've weighed in countless good cars because I've advertised them for next to nothing, been 4arsed about and then had to bin them. My missus still asks why I don't just weigh in everything I get that's old/knackered/reasonable but I can't bear to bin something someone could make good use of even if it means taking a hit on it.

[1] insert dramatic "Da DAhh DAAAAAAAAH" noise [2][2] watch any chance of popularity wander off now I'm a trader in the open..

No problems with anyone on here trading particularly if they can clue me in on the value of a '57' Mondeo Edge when I come to move it on :wink:

Does anyone care if you are a dealer? I'm still watching a thread unfold on RR where it's starting to get a bit, erm, 'tetchy'.What guide do you use if you don't mind me asking, Glasses or CAP? I prefer the latter though I've not bought it in a while now.

Normally Glass's, but to be honest the most accurate valuations I use are made by looking in the guide then ringing a load of traders to see what they'll offer me for it. If they won't offer what the guide says, I tend not to buy. If they offer more than the guide says, I buy for as low as I can get it, but not above the guide, ever!.

Does anyone care if you are a dealer? I'm still watching a thread unfold on RR where it's starting to get a bit, erm, 'tetchy'.

Yeah, I'm watching that too. I have no problem with folk buying stuff to sell on again instantly - if you are the first to show up with the money, then the car should be yours, to do what you want with it. 'Nuff said.If said person turns the car around for a profit, fairy nuff once again. If you wanted to buy that car (originally) to keep, you should have got there more quickly with the original seller. Let's face it, there are a lot of folk on RR sales posts that make noises about buying something without doing anything concrete...Said person in RR thread does appear to be hoovering up everything cheap, which some have taken offence at, but also seems to have been attempting to sell stuff that they don't actually own (yet) - which seems a bit sinister or could be construed as blatant profiteering.
Hmmm......whilst taking a peek over on RR to see if I could spot said 'tetchy' thread, I stumbled upon this thread about a BMW which had received a fair few replies. So on flicking through it to see what the fuss was about, it transpires it's not the thread in question. However, worringly, or interestingly depending on your view point, from where I'm sitting it also seems to be a rather tetchy thread! Considering it was the first thread I clicked on today at random, are things generally tetchy all round on RR? :shock: (not spending much time over there myself, making a tiny fraction of the posts I make on here) Well either way, it all leads to the impression that everybody is far more chilled out over here & it's therefore a much nicer place to be! :Dhttp://retrorides.proboards86.com/?board=FSW&action=display&thread=43176&page=1

Ah, like your style. Just noticed your locatio and not a million miles away. Do you ever use E.Port Motor Auctions? I don't!

I tend not to buy from auctions. I normally get my stuff from private sellers, at least with a private seller you can do a good deal, inspect the car, and they tend to be in a hurry. Ellesmere Port auctions has the odd moment of usefulness, but I used to prefer Ewloe when I bought auction stuff.

Nah, Retro Rides is usually a very chilled place. To be honest as this whole Beemer thread doesn't involve me I don't care what gets said to who really. Pete-M: I've thrown a few (and only a few) into E.Port but never bought anything and probably never will. Queensferry used to be good but not been there in a while and I've never been to Prees Heath but intend to one day as I only seem to hear good things about them.

Does anyone care if you are a dealer? I'm still watching a thread unfold on RR where it's starting to get a bit, erm, 'tetchy'. What guide do you use if you don't mind me asking, Glasses or CAP? I prefer the latter though I've not bought it in a while now.

Haha, I posted on that thread.......he seemed to take offence at my tongue in cheek replies...even with a smiley.Totally went about that the wrong way though didn't he, should have just said 'bought this cheap to sell on' and actually had the car!Cavette, I always look out for what you turn up....and if you come up with something I fancy one day I might have it....whether you are making a few quid or not. Mainly because you are not far from me and I won't be wasting a tank or 2 of fuel to look at it.

Ta! I do seem to come across an inordinate amount of shite on my travels and get offered all kinds of crap nearly every day. My personal pet hate is dishonesty, if someone says something is in a certain condition then that's how it should be.Mind you sometime's it's quite funny: yesterday for example someone tried to sell me a Mk4 Cavalier with a 'low blow' turbo diesel engine. I politely said I'd never heard of a Mk4 Cavalier and he got very upset by this and said that I 'didn't have a f*****g clue what i was on about'. I then felt it prudent to inform him there was no such thing as a Mk4 Cavalier and no Cavalier I've ever known or heard of had a low blow engine fitted from the factory.He offered to come round and 'kik my fuckin ed in' and I said he'd be welcome to do so and that I'd actually borrow a strait jacket which I'd wear before he came round if he could show me a picture of this fictitious beast. He hasn't got back to me yet.You coming to the unpronouncable castle car show by the way?

That Chris bloke on RR seems to be the kind of loser that makes selling old cars such a pain in the arse. Remember that white 525i I got given? Well I used it for a month or two, job done. No further need for it so it's tax disc refund and weigh it in as scrap, £250 cash in hand, lovely. Guilty for scrapping a working car? Not at all, the world is full of idiots like RR Chris.Luckily though, a car trader mate came along just as I was clearing the thing out, gave me 250 quid (inlcudng the disc with 4 months left) and is using it. Saved to fight another day.