Buggered blowers and GR8 fans

Jack_Harpers_Teeth

The fan/blower in the Lolomite is pathetic, after driving fifteen miles in the damp you just have a little fan shaped piece of clearness in front of you to peak through to see where you are going. However, the blower in the Scabia is fantastic, clears the whole screen in matter of moments.

So what have been your experiences? Been suprised by a really good fan in a really bad car or visa vera?

The fan/blower in the Lolomite is pathetic, after driving fifteen miles in the damp you just have a little fan shaped piece of clearness in front of you to peak through to see where you are going.....

So how are you seeing where you're going for the first fifteen miles of a journey, or is it best we don't ask that? :P:lol:

The heater/fan combo in my old Amazon was positively volcanic.

Even in the depths of that really cold winter we had a couple of years back I'd have to open the window after a mile or two because it was too hot. (And for a while, before I got the new heater valve for it, changing the temperature meant stopping and grubbing about behind the pedals, so I usually didn't bother.) It could also clear ice from the inside of the screen within 2-3 minutes of firing it up. 8)

Disappointingly, despite coming from the same frozen northern wasteland as the 'Zon, the Saab has a piss-poor heater/blower, and no real demist vents either, just a couple of tiny slatted holes that do no better than an asthmatic mouse blowing through a straw.

Hopefully when I flush the system out and change the coolant it'll improve things.

the fan in my 607 was quite good until it filled up with water in torrential rain last year

this caused me to crash

I have since refitted the pollen filter and drilled a bigger drain hole in the bottom of the motor housing, this was after replacing the lower wishbone and straightening a wheel that I damaged in the crash

I will also try not to be such a prat in the future

XJR heater isn't wonderful. I suspect it needs flushing....

Subaru heater is insanely hot. Hot enough to make the dashboard feel like it's likely to melt. Aircon in it is pretty bloody effective as well.

604 heater works very well and the ventilation system is surprisingly good. It's one of those older cars where city driving in summer means cracking a window down a tad but the air coming through the vents is pretty cool provided the car is moving. At motorway speeds the vents do enough to mean that all windows can be left shut. Far better than most '70s stuff.

Rover P6 V8s have bloody good heaters but on a summer day the little vent above the steering column is needed. The heat soak from the V8 is a big issue in 'em, although no challenger to a Healey 3000 or Interceptor III. It is impossible to be anything other than roasting in a Big Healey.

2CV heater is excellent and very forceful. Especially in summer, at motorway speeds. The demisting relies on the engine fan, so it's crap in traffic unless you sit there and rev the engine, which makes people frown at you.

Maverick fan is a bit rubbish, which surprises me. J-tin is usually good. Doesn't get particularly warm and the fan is a bit feeble. BXs are pretty feeble - good heat, feeble blowers. Mind you, they seem like a wind tunnel fan compared to the patheticness that was the CX. Imagine a 40-a-day Beagle blowing mild air at your windscreen and you'll have the effect about right.

Mini has the noisiest fan in the world and the flaps are worn, so it moves a bit of air to the screen and quite a lot to your feet. Whether you want it there or not.

My old Volvo 740 naturally had a superb heater. Never experienced a car with such a rapid warm-up time.

Rover 25 heater is brilliant (now I have made a better resistor pack)

X Type one isn't as good, the ducts for the front footwells are tiny, but the quickclear windscreen is the dogs bollocks.

Quattro Coop heater was pretty poor, and was working as the Boxheads intended.

All the Sambas I had had good heating and ventilation, as did the R6 Metros.

Unsurprisingly, the HVAC in the Tucson was superb.

The one in the 911 was pretty good, but it hadn't much to do in that tiny interior.

I never figured out the heating system on my W221!

The fan/blower in the Lolomite is pathetic, after driving fifteen miles in the damp you just have a little fan shaped piece of clearness in front of you to peak through to see where you are going.....

So how are you seeing where you're going for the first fifteen miles of a journey, or is it best we don't ask that? :P:lol:

guide_dog_basics_big.jpg

^^^ He's getting bloody good at running I can tell you that!

No, quarterlights mate - ya can't whack 'em for up front ventilation/demisting. Proper man v nature stuff that is.

The heater in my FD Victor was good once the engine was warm. The fan made noise but didn't really do anything, despite liberal amounts of duct tape to seal the leaks. It was just plain cack. Wouldn't demist the screen, which was always bad as the car was perpetually damp.

The Cinquecento had a very good fan and heater, which was surprising. Useful for keeping it from overheating in the summertime traffic.

The GTA has a fairly good heater- the air comes through like it's just been passed through the sun, but not very fast. The vents do funny things when it's been parked up as the flaps are operated by engine vacuum.

My Transit had to have been about the best of the lot. Warmed up within two to three minutes and the fan made so much noise forcing air out at a gazillionty miles per hour you couldn't have a quiet conversation.

My MKII Fiesta hasn't been driven by me yet so I don't know what the fan is like, but the heater/blower is ridiculously good, I was actually surprised how strongly it works considering how long it must have been, as displayed by the cobwebs blown onto my face when I turned it on for the first time.