Swapping colors tho keeping the year...

fotorabia

Ive made a telephone agreement to view and probably purchase [30% discount] something that looks very similar to this..

8040cd4e.jpg

1977 Mercedes Benz 300d w123

4 speed Auto, 12 months reg, reco front end, new shockers, reco diesel pump and injectors, reco alternator and starter motor. Everyday driver and ex-diesel mechanics vehicle.

He l accept $2000 for it.And he's in Moonee Ponds which is where Dame Edna Everage comes from..my 1977 white ones becoming a massive liability..the Outback rego means MOT..fail fail fail...the front suspension has partially collapsed...the windsceens ruined...ya di ya..so the Bundt alloys will come off an go on the red one...wish me luck..i just broke the bank..and will have to decide what to do with the whitey..

I hope the new one is as good as advertised, it'll be a bummer if you go all that way and find that the bodywork is mainly filler. Oh I forgot, they don't rust like in UK.

Try selling Whitey in the local paper and if it doesn't sell break it and keep the bits that might be useful, weighbridge for the rest.

unfortunately the image i used above is not the same vehicle..ive bought it [ok..yes..at night time..i know]..has a rust hole in lower right guard..the engine mounts have gone on it so its loud as,,when i pulled away i was like oh fuck what have i done...but it pulls and stops well..steering has a leak... assortment of other issues...but at least its legal for 12 months before it has to have another roadworthy-MOT..it basically is a great piece of shite..

602f6e82.jpg

ea68d2ae.jpg

the drive home was interesting..i kinda guessed it all the way and made it back alright..seems im beginning to know this city..

has a rust hole in lower right guard..

the engine mounts have gone on it so its loud as

steering has a leak...

assortment of other issues...

£1316.15 in proper money :o

HOW many Ford Mondeo's with cr\cked bumpers would that have bought? The UK truly is shite capital of the world!

it cost 1184.97 GBP..a years full rego is worth 460.87 GBP..thats my insurance policy as well..not for value of the car mind..just my body n others..two axle stands..full set of spanners..and two bottles of unopened Aussie champagne vintage 1987..

loving piece of german machinery

exactly..this is Teutonic machine No.7 for me...Opel Ascona A..Ford Taunus M17 Turnier..IFA W50 4WD truck..MB W108 250S..Borgward Isabella..the other 77 W123...all degrees of success and failure..with this latest..its just to have it roadworthy..i dont car about crap interiors etc..as long as all the important things work thats it..even all the power windows work..its the door locking throw away the key thats seems unpredictably funny..its got a stereo and the first aid kit..

1573fb1d.jpg

new alternator and starter..

be6f57f5.jpg

a very healthy motor...

cdbd0539.jpg

this is the rustee..i need to keep an eye on back windscreen as well..

6f6ca9ce.jpg

and my wonked out speedo..

afd531fe.jpg

Now complete with Fuchs alloys off No.1

89f95547.jpg

Guilty as judged..leaking diff..leaking injector..the smoke wafts thru the hole where the clock is somewhere..i can hear it but cant see it..the non engine mounts are deafening...it uses sod all diesel..even with the leak,,and emphasis on the business mans tractor...its got the power when u want it...its a fooken disaster but i loves it..

My Epic disaster movie..

• 2 months later...

Since buying this uber scheiber...i swapped my old wheels from the 230 ..the 14-215 bundts..also cos all the tyres were new...i idiotically cracked the windscreen taking out the broken interior mirror..new one plus rubber $400 ouch...ive done the engine -trans mounts...new big battery..replaced all the return lines piece a piss..steering fluid leak was just a loose nut..and did the gear linkage bushes which altho was a wee bit of a fumble only cost $1 for the pair--i also bought another 300D car for parts...but have only taken trivial pieces of it...im still unsure what to do with it as im probably leaving this house...but its got a great motor....so anyways....im happy with the original purchase...ive sorted the niggling issues out they made it run and leak -handle like a derailed pig...and the Inca red is more associated to the coupes and SLCs..i followed a 450 of the same hue today...i also had an Englishman pull up beside me in a rather nice 280E and tell me it was a beauty..it was at night tho...and in a few weeks im off back out to the desert in it...deffo have to get the new stereo in this time!

The parts car as found..

08d49a1e.jpg

262cb8d4.jpg

has a rust hole in lower right guard..

the engine mounts have gone on it so its loud as

steering has a leak...

assortment of other issues...

£1316.15 in proper money :o

HOW many Ford Mondeo's with cr\cked bumpers would that have bought? The UK truly is shite capital of the world!

Or look at it another way, how many solid W123 diesels (not diesel's) would that have bought in the UK? Probably about the same, with more rust.

Looks great, I'd love to slug about in one of these.

Nice one, even the parts donor looks pretty reasonable from that angle.

Good to have you back Rab

thanks so much Skizzer---the parts car is a bit rotten---i may be able to leave it here for a while...ive been offered a new house with job attached...im yet to see it tho as that only happened this hungover morning.....and in the best case scenario..ill keep the silver one for the engine as ive spotted this out in a cool old breakers in Ballarat---

a72c891b.jpg

i really dont think its that complicated to do an engine swap..all my past feats have been quite trivial...id like to to take on an ambitious task---

on the subject of houses..this is what i viewed today...its on a main highway..and sits alone lost in the midst of huge new develpments..no neighbors..its a wierd old place...like its missing its other half..but a long driveway and a garage and relatively cheap for melbourne..

IMG_2102_zps896cf771.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to report as Merci 2 is running sweet as a nut..i flicked the spares car for what i paid for it after removing a few bits n pieces...i moved into the new house which is great..finally got some peace n quiet..albeit being on the highway is kinda funny..launching the Merc across 4 lanes of traffic out of my driveway is like entering Prague in a T34 tank..doesnt win popular appeal..but Im mighty happy with the car..the only minor thing ive bodged is this..

IMG_2108_zps35d9d5f1.jpg

i didnt end up doing the desert roadtrip..work was cancelled out there..so its back to rock n roll again...and dropping off stagehands after our graveyard shifts..

^That's gonna get nicked, isn't it?

Good to see your updates, Rab. You're in Victoria, right?

I'm planning our trip to Oz early next year, which will include an epic road trip (more on that later). Sadly we'll miss Victoria this time, as we'll fly to Adelaide from Sydney.

Ok..Dandenong Road or the Princes Highway..its great cos its the major artery for Melbourne..so whether its the airport or just simply straight outta town...or direct into the city..only 4kms

IMG_2158_zps07f80e68.jpg

The perfect match...

IMG_2157_zps1755b371.jpg

The garage was probably built back in the day when it was Morris 8's..not very big...

IMG_2148_zps2aa73fc4.jpg

The long squeeze..

IMG_2147_zps3c006394.jpg

And Micks ex-ambulance VS Commodore..it goes faster than a kangaroo in a bushfire..its fooken frightening machine..hes already drifted me into town once in it..

IMG_2138_zps016f9adb.jpg

and the back..uhm...garden which is my job..Micks writing the house off as a business venture which means i get cheap rent and he pays all the bills..

IMG_2145_zps9bc06573.jpg