Extinct cars

HillmanImp

Seeing that Regatta that DNJ took a photo of made me think. I know I shouldn't but sometimes it just happens and these silly ideas pop into my head and it kind of steamrolls. Like the time I woke up in the morning I decided I was moving away from Worthing and somehow ended up in Leeds. Still not sure how that happened.

Anyhow, I digress.

I know How Many Left is a bit dubious with its numbers etc, but it is apparent from looking that a lot of UK spec cars are either extinct or facing extinction. If it is to be believed we think that the last Seat Malaga was stolen in Leeds last year and caught fire.

http://www.salvagesparefinder.co.uk/SEAT+MALAGA+XL-259797.htm

I think it was Pillock who said there is a Malaga near him and I want it. Still waiting for photos. Will sell a kidney to get the fucker like as its No1 on my all time car hitlist.

I know that we have had threads looking at what cars from the 80's are rare or extinct (and then an thread about what cars from the 70's or 80's are ectinct and how many 1993 Protons are there left, and number plates saying PU51 DRY and so on). However thats not my point here. Are there great numbers of extinct cars from before the 1980's etc? Is it a social development that cars are throwaway items or is it that the manufacturers only make them to last 15 years as thats all that people want them for etc? Or is it with the open market there are lots more types of cars around with less sold per type that causes a greater chance of extinction? I dont know?

I am just genuinely interested to know what peoples thoughts are (and please dont let this become another I HATE NEW CARS thread).

people don't drive round in old cars for practical reasons, they aren't cheap to run

it's all about image, and if it doesn't have image, scene, heratage or whatever, it gets dumped at the first expensive MOT failure or breakdown. If uses a lot of fuel like a 604 it gets dumped even quicker

To digress slightly and look to the future, I reckon the City Rover will become extinct very quickly, given that the last of them were on, what, a 54 plate, and even now you hardly ever see one.

I can't say that bothers me greatly.

Let's face it those were pretty terrible things!

I work on one of these things regular and find that getting parts are really hard and when you find them very expensive, add to this the fact that they are worth bugger all on the market anyway I think will add to there demise I remember working at a Rover dealership when these first came out and they where braking down even then. Back to the post how about the Fiat Croma ie the latest versions quite new and I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Cromas and Regatas are very thin on the ground these days, but in my opinion, the only cars at risk of complete, bonafide extinction are budget ones which fulfil only one purpose, that being cheap, disposable transport, from new. Say 20 years ago, some people would probably have assumed the Proton Lancer hybrids would vanish completely after a decade or so, but the careful owners who bought them in the masses turned that around, but what about the first Kia Mentors? Or the first Hyundai Sonatas? They sold virtually none anyway, and even now, are worth less than zero. No one has ever spotted a Lonsdale however!

Also, didn't a Penza come up on eBay a few years back? Would be an apt car for me, my initials are SAO!

To digress slightly and look to the future, I reckon the City Rover will become extinct very quickly, given that the last of them were on, what, a 54 plate, and even now you hardly ever see one.

I can't say that bothers me greatly.

Let's face it those were pretty terrible things!

Since it was the last car to wear the Rover badge, I think a few will survive for historical value

I was a workshop apprentice at hm stevenson lancia,summer 1991 a transporter pulled up with kia pride's and these new looking old mazda 323's,went out and had a look,and remember asking what the fuck is a sao penza! Turns out fiat had knocked back hugh stevenson for the fiat franchise,so he took the first franchise that said yes,we had no brochures or signs,just the 4 pride's and 2 penza's.

They were there a month before a transporter turned up with panda's and uno's,i don't think we sold a penza at all,but one did get pdi'd and valeted for the showroom and sat beside a thema turbo.I don't think i have seen one since.

..Hmmm...

I don't think PROTON sell many SAVVYs, and they are not produced now.

Parts are expensive... well, if I have a laff and enquire... and they really are [like them PEO, I'd not seen one] invisible.

They will crash out of the scene as worth (SqRoot of SodAll) nothing and, MOTd, will cost high maint.

Mine is a keeper :D - don't know what %age of PROTON will remain, as I just get something else to fit [.. Dealer RObbING Fatherless]

Ring me again, next decade..... :wink:

tooSavvy

I was a workshop apprentice at hm stevenson lancia,summer 1991 a transporter pulled up with kia pride's and these new looking old mazda 323's,went out and had a look,and remember asking what the fuck is a sao penza! Turns out fiat had knocked back hugh stevenson for the fiat franchise,so he took the first franchise that said yes,we had no brochures or signs,just the 4 pride's and 2 penza's.

They were there a month before a transporter turned up with panda's and uno's,i don't think we sold a penza at all,but one did get pdi'd and valeted for the showroom and sat beside a thema turbo.I don't think i have seen one since.

Small world - I grew up in Menstrie at the foot of the Tullibody brae, and my friends / myself would go pester Shug Stevenson's parts department to order 'FIAT ABARTH' badges for our 127 GT's... :)

(Actually hung around with Shug's daughter Julie on occasion, as a friend used to go out with her).

I remember my father buying a H reg Hyundai Stellar - it was one of the last ones - to replace his montego which was utterly fooked.

I cannot remember the last time I saw one, although it was'nt that bad to drive - I remember Mike Brewer saying he would rather have his throat slit than have a stellar.

I remember my father buying a H reg Hyundai Stellar - it was one of the last ones - to replace his montego which was utterly fooked.

I cannot remember the last time I saw one, although it was'nt that bad to drive - I remember Mike Brewer saying he would rather have his throat slit than have a stellar.

There was one around here until fairly recently. needless to say, I really want one

One of the BX techno-wizzes has one running a Rover v8. Want.