Barely run in

mk2_craig

volvo-v70.jpg

Apologies if this has already hit one of the ebay threads or something. I would describe this as a nice low mileage Volvo, it hasn't been round the clock yet:

volvo-mileage.jpg

Good for at least that mileage again!

I always think it's funny how most of the UK car owning population prizes low mileage, but when it comes to anything Swedish a car hasn't 'earned its stripes' until it's got a odometer like a Mercedes part number.

The number of times you see Volvos and Saabs with several hundred thousand miles being proudly displayed makes me wonder if these are the only cars in the world that might sometimes have their mileages clocked upwards? :lol:

"Hello, is that ClockersRUs? Yes, I wonder if you can help me, my V70 is only showing 180,000 miles and everyone in the Volvo Owners Club is laughing at me for having such a sissy low mileage car, can you add a couple of hundred thou to it please?"

VW ran a print advert in the 1990s featuring a 400k + Passat alongside the small pile of spares it had needed to achieve that mileage. I think they claimed that they had stripped down the engine and found everything still met factory tolerances.

The most I've seen on a car was 360k on a Peugeot 505 GR. It didn't meet factory tolerances.

When I collected maestro van rear door from someone in ebayland he was pretty keen to show me his Maestro van- it had 750k on the clock, but had had a new turbo diesel engine and about a million gearboxes. Still very impressive. Best of all it was pretty much mint too.

Mobil ran a bmw e30 325 up to 1 million miles on mobil1 in the late 80s on some sort of test bed or high speed bowl for a promo, stripped the engine later etc etc, It cropped up for sale a few years ago, its earlier history unknown, still going strong

Merci is 210k miles or 352k kms...I was brought up metric [Aussie] and imperial [scotland]..Dad taught me in his Corolla on the Gold Coast in 1978 how to convert...massive mileage is the least of my concern when i look at old Mercs..tho at my city-auto-fuel prices..i dream of diesel..

Mobil ran a bmw e30 325 up to 1 million miles on mobil1 in the late 80s on some sort of test bed or high speed bowl for a promo, stripped the engine later etc etc, It cropped up for sale a few years ago, its earlier history unknown, still going strong

This?

They've done it again with a Mercedes CDI - only did a million kilometres!

A friend of mine has a 1984 Volvo F10 with over 2 million miles on it, he used to do continental work and ran down to Spain, Portugal, Italy and over to Morocco with it and later did some of the Romania/Bosnia aid runs and stuff. Needs a complete cab restoration now but still runs and growls a treat.

Does anyone remember an article in CAR about a bloke with a Montego who racked some some incredible yearly mileage, I think he was a courier or something and reckoned his 2-litre petrol Monty was the best thing going!

There's some more mega miles stuff HERE.

I remember someone flogging off a mk4 Golf R32 on Ebay when they were still newish cars, it was perhaps two and a half years old and had done something stupid like 500k miles, mainly on European roads involved in some sort of 24/7 high-value but small bulk courier operation... triple-shifted with a team of drivers and engine only switched off for fuelling and servicing. If memory serves me correctly it sold for only a few hundred quid less than other examples with normal mileage

A friend of mine has a 1984 Volvo F10 with over 2 million miles on it, he used to do continental work and ran down to Spain, Portugal, Italy and over to Morocco with it and later did some of the Romania/Bosnia aid runs and stuff. Needs a complete cab restoration now but still runs and growls a treat.

We've got a few B10M buses and coaches with over a million miles on the clock, though in fairness our newest full size motor is an ex Shearings example on an N-reg. It's like Autoshite but buses to be honest, we've got a G-reg Plaxton Paramount more or less down to the frame just down for summer rebuild...

• 5 weeks later...

We've got a few B10M buses and coaches with over a million miles on the clock, though in fairness our newest full size motor is an ex Shearings example on an N-reg.

Yes. A varied fleet Mr Plant does have. However an age in double figures is not required for silly miles. I took this today on SV59CGG - flickr it. Still with it's original engine and still pulling like a champion

7809725274_39c980b9d5.jpg

The inspection regime is every 21 days. As for the servicing, this may be different for the higher mileage motors - aparantly ZF say the gearbox oil should be change every couple of thousand miles.

The Neoplans at their oldest now are 54 plates so I'd guess anywhere between 2 and 3 million miles. I was driving a 56 plate Volvo B12 earlier today with 997,800 MILES on it