I'm an AX wielding maniac - I see you baby, shaking that ass

Craig the Princess

The Rover 214 has had its replacement driver's window regulator fitted earlier following the previous one disintegrating and the window glass dropping into the door. The piece of wood prop holding it up was fine but eBay provided a new regulator.

post-4915-0-31239100-1480425901_thumb.jpg

Beige1100 fitted it earlier so I didn't do something cack-handed and smash the window. Went in relatively easily and will be much easier that driving right up to car park barriers and then opening the door.

• 2 weeks later...

The photo embargo on the brown Metro is in place after the hedge contact but the wings are off and have revealed some rust holes in the inner wings which are currently being welded by our local welding guru.

The red Metro Mayfair is in for an MoT tomorrow, one balljoint is needed as is a play with the emissions but fingers crossed Mrs the Princess will be back on the road.

Mrs the Princess's Grandad is a woodturner, as an early Christmas present he has turned me five different gear knobs for the mgf. This replaces the horrible metal original which is horrible to use outside of July. Put the first on on to check the M10 thread was correct.

post-4915-0-71110800-1481573076_thumb.jpg

Today was started by a concrete truck arriving at home, starting the base for the new car storage building.

post-4915-0-36224900-1481833838_thumb.jpg

post-4915-0-47119600-1481833866_thumb.jpg

post-4915-0-51704200-1481833903_thumb.jpg

post-4915-0-38142500-1481833928_thumb.jpg

The remaining two bays will be finished next week and concrete added either between Christmas and New Year or in January. Very excited, it had been dragging on from early summer. Legs are feeling tired from working with that lot.

• 1 month later...

Update.

Concrete all laid bar one footprint to re-do (oops)

The Volvo 940 isn't really working out for us, with baby in the back seat and dog in the boot luggage space is very limited, especially as the single but of the rear seat needs to be down for the pram to get in.

So the plan is (with added benefit of cost and fleet reduction) is to sell the Volvo and the blue 214 (possibly by a very, very cheap roffle) after getting an MPV.

So tonight a bid will be going in on a Fiat Multipla with the proper bug face styling. Does anyone have experience with these (didn't lankytim have one?), the diesel especially?

Mrs the Princess and beige 1100 have taken Little Tony on his third car collection. He isn't even six months old yet!

They aren't back yet but I have been sent this taster.

post-4915-0-86631200-1487004345_thumb.jpg

post-4915-0-31610100-1487004362_thumb.jpg

post-4915-0-88975000-1487004379_thumb.jpg

The only thing to go wrong so far is the gear stick being less attached to the car than it should be.

Had my first drive in it this morning, quite a nice place to sit. I've not had a higher than normal driving seat apart from the LDV. It goes well, I took it easy on bends but it seems to have lots of grip to go with the body roll.

The front suspension is a bit creaky over bumps, the gear change is horribly notchy but hopefully that is related to the gear knob not actually being attached to the gear stick. That could come in handy if someone started a road rage incident but I think it better to fix it.

It apparently keeps blowing the drivers side dipped beam and the bug lights under the windscreen aren't working.

The interior plastics have a horrible sticky residue on them which in places has been scratched off leaving white marks so it needs a good clean inside.

Radio (an aftermarket Clarion) is decent, the CD but has eaten a CD without loading it so need to look at that.

So a couple of niggles but I'm not complaining at £245. We'll see how next month's mot goes.

I do like how it is an ELX and the reg ends ELX. And today is it's 15th birthday according to the v5.

I think all FIATs of that era had horrible plastics, the exterior door handle bits on Bravos and Bravas etc always felt like they were made out of plasticine mixed with used cooking fat.

Well bought though.

The rake on that screen is savage! Is there much actual headroom in these?

It's pretty reasonable on headroom, I'm six foot I can touch the roof with the top of my head of I sit bolt upright. Otherwise there is loads of room.

I think all FIATs of that era had horrible plastics, the exterior door handle bits on Bravos and Bravas etc always felt like they were made out of plasticine mixed with used cooking fat.

Well bought though.

Ah, a feature of the marque then. TBH it isn't that bad apart from the central ashtray which is horrible and sticky.

I love the bonkers dash in this.

post-4915-0-31055700-1487179248_thumb.jpg

And I'm getting excited about modern car features I've never had before like a trip computer and a button that folds the driver's door mirror in.

MoT booked for Tuesday so need to do two bulbs then prey.

Edit: the LDV is back with a new MOT. The welding ran to £520. Ouch, still it had been a few years since a big bill.