I'm an AX wielding maniac - I see you baby, shaking that ass

Craig the Princess

Yesterday we headed to collect a £100 Princess, en route to being picked up we passed our Jag (and seeming Tata) loving neighbour.

1kr1.jpg

Winners* travel by LDV

v7ei.jpg

The short drive into Suffolk was held up by super-shite Axiam action

6g30.jpg

We arrived to find some shite as everyday transport for the Princess owner

2pyr.jpg

Then the future queen herself

nw92.jpg

r299.jpg

xzx1.jpg

A manual 2200HLS, the interior stored in the loft along with many and various spares.

a910.jpg

hd9o.jpg

Brakes were unsurprising seized, even a tow didn't help so drums were removed before loading with the manual winch

ishl.jpg

dp91.jpg

da6y.jpg

6h96.jpg

Current plans are to use some of the spares on the Morris 1800 (Doors/skins etc) then get the 2200 running and back together before possibly selling as a project. It is pretty solid apart from one part of the scuttle panel and the front valance only being held on with a couple of tac welds.

Also managed to pap some of the home-based fleet

dxlw.jpg

100 club Princess and Mrs the Princesses' one family Rover 400

xkqy.jpg

bs1g.jpgd7r6.jpg

I could sit in here all day long.

Also at home the (rusty) Clove Brown Ambassador, Ex-Ebay engine advert and banger rally Allegro and one of matching his and her 1100 DL Allegros in Lagoon Blue

dmf7.jpg9v8w.jpg

igtp.jpg

Have you ever been to chat up this dude on the long sutton road? He seems to have old BL shite coming out of his ears. I have a vague recollection of going to talk to him years back and he seemed OK but i didn't have a lot of time to check out his fleet, plus it was a few years back.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wisbech&ll=52.687066,0.147358&spn=0.114357,0.252171&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&hnear=Wisbech,+Cambridgeshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=13&layer=c&cbll=52.687066,0.147358&panoid=kW3vI3PQVyBoo1LaGcy7JA&cbp=12,61.18,,0,20.3

Does it need headlights?  I know someone in Scotland giving some trapezoid types away for free, he just wants the postage covered.

Top save, not that I'm bias or anything, and done with a suitable vehicle.  Let me know if you need any items for it, I may have spares that are of use to you.

• 2 weeks later...

About 3 weeks ago I tried to nip up the joint between manifold and downpipe as it was blowing like an arsehole after sprouts.

Bolt 1, won't budge, WD40, won't budge, more WD40, big bar, snap stud.

Bolt 2, won't budge, WD40, won't budge, more WD40, big bar, snap stud.

Cock.

Bought a manifold on ebay (£30 from a breaker) as the studs will need to be drilled from the exising one and manage to get gaskets from Unipart. These were fitted today. Bolt 3, won't budge, WD40, won't budge, more WD40, big bar, snap stud.

nw81.jpg

New manifold then cleaned, looks like it has been off the car a while as the face with the block is pitted, fingers crossed it won't blow. The attached to the downpipe, fire up and the bloody thing still blows. Remove downpipe, smoother in exhause assembily paste and try again. Much quieter, car may be running on 3 cylinders but may just need a Parisian tune-up.

Reattached the heat-shield replacing the buggered bolts with bonnet attaching bolts from a scrap Allegro for extra-BL goodness.

8mwe.jpg

The means Mrs the Princess and I have a working car each fro the new year, result.

Are we talking about the same blue thing? I mean the one in the streetview link that Boll posted....

uveda8y8.jpg

There was a guy with a Tata up the road from my mum when I was a nipper. I remember it being rusty at a few years old but it definitely didn't look like that!

Chasing a clutch fault on the Marina, it used to only work with the clutch burried into the carpet. We rebuilt the master cylinder with a rebuilt kit

g8yn.jpg

At this point we put it back together then went to bleed it, the slave cylinder was also leaking. Bugger.

Took ages, and three incorrect kits to find the right one (after going to macs motor factors in Downham Market, who looked up the cylinder options in a book for the measurments, proper job).

2j1v.jpg

Bled this at this stage, no clutch. Took master cylinder off again and it had got stuck. Freed this up and re-fitted.

4qat.jpg

Clutch now works, if you bury the pedal into the carpet! It looks like an earlier slave cylinder with a bigger bore has been fitted in the past so more petal travel is needed. Stupid old cars.

• 1 year later...

Really bad at updating this.

Had a spare couple of hours this afternoon. Went over to our old house where the Princess is currently residing.

Several years ago (2009/2010?) we took the princess to BL day at Peterborough on a trailer. While there the lovely people of the princess club got it running for my only ever drive of it round the field. When loading up to leave the exhaust got caught on the trailer and ripped off. A new exhaust front section was purchased on eBay (the front section was the one that ripped, the ready needs replacing but there isn't one on eBay and it is serviceable, just).

About 3 months ago we tried taking the exhaust of, the rear came of easily but we couldn't work out how to remove the front section from being trapped between the bulkhead and exhaust. So we closed the garage and did things to the green and the yellow Allegros.

Today I jacked the car up and after 20 minutes pushing, pulling, twisting in the greasy oily underside I noticed a join in one of the downpipes. A screwdriver hammer combo did the trick.

29z3rir.jpg

2iup6vp.jpg

The ripped end looked like this

5wf9dz.jpg

Princess sitting with the Morris 1800 waiting for the new exhaust to be fitted.

351y54j.jpg

• 4 months later...

Princess update. it is still in the air, I tried to fit the exhaust in early October but the tailpipe was near the rear wheel rather than the rear of the car. Due to the train driver training I've not had much time to devote to the cars of late. Once (hopefully) the training is complete in the New Year things will pick up.

I've decided to give myself a kick up the arse so it needs an MoT in 2016 or I'll sell it to someone who can get it back to condition.

The seats are back in now however.

IiGW5i.jpg

Yellow Allegro is done for the year now post NEC, the thermostat will need to be replaced after yesterday's freezing journey home from Brum. All tucked away in the Allegro Shed now. (The wood prop is for keeping the door closed not holding up the roof!)

cGru0V.jpg

In a new feature on cars I (well we) own but have never driven meet this Lagoon Blue Allegro, an 1100 de lux. Base spec, extra splashed out on Metalic Paint. We got this car in 2006 from a couple of friends of ours (where the yellow estate also came from). It stayed in their barn for a while then moved to our house in the days when DW was a car mover. It has hidden in garages ever since and was joined in 2008 by a twin which actually had an MoT.

It did make it to BMC/BL day in 2009 on a trailer but has never been driven and is so far back in the queue I don;t know what the plan is. That said if we sold it I bet it would be scrapped in weeks which would be sad. Anyway here are some pictures.

B1fPDe.jpg

lIoDXC.jpg

IO2nWN.jpg

And a Quartic steering wheel!

tyfo4j.jpg

Any a picture of the twin now and when it was on the road

DR5p9t.jpg

K2BHjn.jpg

So next years plans?

Tomcat Coupe to come off the road at some stage, needs paint, wheel arch and door rust repairs (currently small) and a general tidyup.

Brown Metro will come off the road in late spring for general tidying. Red Metro will be back then, needs to have a fuel leak fixed first.

AX to be repaired to take over daily duties, CV joints, check of the rear axle, does anyone have any clips for the front door cards? Ideally a return to the original Mk1 interior if I can find a replacement driver's seat.

Princess to be MoT'ed and wheel arch repair and paint

Marina piston rings removed and refitted with the correct gap (I fail at mechanicals)

Purple Allegro paint, saw it in the shed earlier looking sad

lJ3RPg.jpg

Red Ambassador exhaust to be found/made and fitted.

That should do for plans, it will all change by next week anyway.

Thanks for lasting to the end of this long pointless ramble!

EDIT: Fuck that on the road picture was so long ago I had hair! Still wearing the same jumper however.