Any WiFi Experts Out there? (OT Content WARNING)

Father Ted

Here is my dilemma.

I have a caravan that I leave sited for most of the year. Up until recently I have used a 3 mobile 3g dongle plumbed into an Edimax wi-fi router running an external 9Dbi aerial to improve the (already) poor signal. Now 3 have gone and cut the power to the transmitter for some unknown reason (its been like this for 2 months now) and internet is non existent. When it will connect it drops out after about a minute.

Like all camp sites this one is in the arse end of nowhere and in a lovely dip surrounded by trees. Mobile phone coverage wise Orange is about the best of the bunch, but even then only on 2G, not on 3G.

There is a WiFi network on the camp site, but I can only get 1 bar signal at the back of the caravan (where my kids bed is) and not at the front. So wondering if I can capitalise on this I started looking at wi-fi aerial boosters - and got very confused very quickly.

Ideally I would like to utilise the signal from the camp sites wi-fi network and feed it into my own wireless router to create my own caravan wifi (so the kids on their ipods can do what they do, and both me and the missus can sit there in the evening tapping away and occasionally saying "what did you say?" to each other....

Realistically Im not sure if thats possible without a helluva lot of arsing about and hardware. So can anyone recommend either an omnidirectional or directional aerial booster that I could set up and run a cable to the one lap top via a USB?