Train shite

willswitchengage

along with FEF-3 #844 and challenger #3985, both of which are in running condition out at cheyanne

the FEF wasnt ever retired even though union pacific ended steam in 1958? though it was renumbered to 8444 in the 1970's. they have kept 835 for spares, even now 50 odd years later that locomotive is still pretty much complete.

the challenger is the same idea as a bigboy, not quiet as large been only 4-6+6-4's they were built to sprint across the  mid-western plains.

844-

1024px-Union_Pacific_844%2C_Painted_Rock

3985-

Union_Pacific_Challenger_3985_01.jpg

Bloody kettles.

It's one of the last comments in that film. "It made it ready for privatisation" DID IT FUCK. what the hell is wrong in an organisation that is one of the most efficient railway systems in the world staying in public hands instead of being sold off in bits and costing the taxpayers more than it did in the last 30 years?

I really despair with is country, I really do.

from blackadder 3....

"... some fellow called George Stevenson, has invented a moving kettle, wants help with the marketing...."

and rail privatisation has been a complete and utter fuck up. 

except of course for the banks and their rich friends in the city who have done really, really well out of it.

I remember reading that Cecil Parkinson (remember him?) suggested it to Maggie in something like 83 or 84. She thought it was such a stupid idea that she blanked him for a fortnight.

It's been the complexity of the division, and the short contracts which have really caused the mess we're in. Nobody is responsible to anybody but the shareholders, and they've no incentive to invest.

Mind you, not privatising it would've been best of all.

There's a BBC4 documentary at 9 tonight called "The age of the Train" about the IC125 apparently. Perhaps somebody could review it for me for when Virgin Media inevitably won't let me use iPlayer?

Great show, will never be shown again on TV as it was also the age of the predatory paedophile.

It is on youtube though

Warning :  Contains Saville.

i wonder what one of those bubble cars is worth in working order?

is this the one which has been withdrawn several times only to make it back into revenue stock?

i believe that one was running about as an inspection saloon and was reinstated to capital stock, possibly in black and orange loadhaul livery?

as SWMBO says we don't have room,time or even money for another car, i wonder if i could get away with this instead.....

One of those used to run the Stourbridge Town to Stourbridge Junction branch line (just about the shortest branch line in Britain if not Europe). There used to be a pool of a couple of them to run the service on alternate days.

Names were Given to them by the drivers and were chalked on boards placed in the cab window. One was called Billy the Bubblecar and the other was Daisy the DMU.

• 9 years later...