1987 Renault GTA :: Gone to a new home

PhilA

• 1 month later...

Surely not? Despite probably never commenting on this, I've always loved reading about the trials and tribulations. I feel like the car has been part of my life for years. 

Can you not do some kind of stupid road trip in it and send it out in a blaze of glory?

24 hours of lemons?

Yeah, it does. I have the car sat aside right now, waiting for someone with great experience and knowledge of the vehicles to pick it up.

It'll be going to a good home.

As you can read, the car has fought me every step of the way. I recently tried to give it another chance and it fought me again.

To be honest, I was getting fed up of "fix one thing, another thing breaks", constantly. My patience for the car was waning so I was driving it less, enjoying it less. One last push to try and get it sorted resulted in something else difficult to source breaking so it got parked up for the last time.

Shortly after that the wife started me looking at other cars, then the Pontiac occurred and she said that I can't keep 2 project cars. So, as per "gimme a call if you ever think of selling the car", a phone call was made and I agreed I would hang on to the car until he finished building his new garage building. So, tag turned in and insurance cancelled. The car now is a zero cost item sitting in the driveway, waiting to be picked up.

So yeah, an end of an era but not the end of the car by any means. Hopefully it'll continue with someone who has fresh enthusiasm for the vehicle for many years to come.

Phil

Fourteen?  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Yup. He knows them, has spares for them, likes them well enough. He's been looking for a non-rusty one for a while, up north the roads are routinely salted and it makes vehicles dissolve pretty quickly as we are all aware. Down here not really so the bodyshell has remained in good shape while the mechanical parts have fallen off.

Phil

• 4 months later...

GTA news: Put battery in. Twisted key until more than *click* occurred.

Started up, ran just fine. Drove it up and down the driveway.

Parked it back up.

Brake tag (MoT) expired end of last month. Not sure if its future right now. It may end up just being parked up and staying in the family. I actually have enough space to do that. It's not costing anything to keep right now.

Kinda sad in a way, but I look at it this way. It's not crashed, it's not being broken for parts, it's not deteriorating at a rapid rate. I'm ok hanging on to it right now.

Phil

I may just hang on to it. A few months away and I'm less upset with it.

Really all it needs is the driveshafts doing again, the harmonic balancer and the steering rack. The manifold area has sprung a leak of coolant so that needs to come off for investigation.

If I'm doing the driveshafts, the engine might as well come out to do the harmonic balancer and while it's out, access to the steering rack is greatly improved.

I have a decent crane now so this is all possible in the future.

Gonna get the Pontiac on the road first.

Phil

• 1 year later...

20200618_125531.thumb.jpg.0ea9806fe23d061c717ac162cfb772d4.jpg

I moved the car from the front of the garage to the back, after cleaning up some junk that was stacked up by the previous owners of the house. I wasn't really using the space for much so it'll keep the car dry.

20200618_173105.thumb.jpg.d0260c95d36c00135b33fdce85f6d1eb.jpg

Sanded this rear quarter down.

20200618_175157.thumb.jpg.b98c7f3511fd132dde19372174a21fa4.jpg

Laid down some experimental bright silver enamel. 6/10 too much Delorean.

Parked it back up and let it rest again.

Phil

That was a month ago. Today I decided to see if it would go. Battery was dead, I had left it connected, oops.

Put it to charge and got it running though it's really unhappy with the old crappy fuel in the tank and the sensors so seem to have dirty spots where it likes to cough and die out. Drove it up and down the street and then gave it a wash before parking it up out front, on charge.

20200720_174354.thumb.jpg.4b79b86aff6357dacc793c68b118a307.jpg

Phil

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • PhilA changed the title to 1987 Renault GTA :: Buried by the garage
  • 3 weeks later...