1987 Renault GTA :: Gone to a new home

PhilA

Good luck with the painting.

I tried painting the roof of my Brothers Metallic Blue MK1 Fiat Punto with him in spray can's from a local car paint supplier a few years back. The prep and the Blue paint went on quite well.

Sadly the Lacquer coats were a total fail as we did this all outside in the open. So as the wind suddenly picked up the Lacquer ended up in the air and less on the roof which gave it a stripey finish. Still it's better than it was, but if you seen the rest of the paint it's the least of it's problems!

One day he get round to hopefully having it resprayed.

If it's base coat, you don't flat it at all. Spray base coat then within a certain time, apply clear coat. (paint spec should give time to cover by)

If you try and flat base coat or use any abrasive at all, no matter how fine, it will likely go greyish/brownish and look rubbish. Base coat applied to flatted primer, then wait and cover with clear coat just after. Some leave it longer and get away with it but needs applying soonish really. 

https://www.jawel.co.uk/jawel_pdf_data/painters_guide/painters_guide_basecoat_paint.pdf

From Jawel about base coat. 

I own a Renault. We already know there's something wrong with me from that.

Granted, I had a read about paint and paint types beforehand and decided that blue had a modest chance of being slightly less crummy than silver to put on.

I didn't like the pale blue they had. Plus that was pearlescent and pale blue is just silver with a drop of blue in, so was likely not to cover well.

Phil

So, the last application of blue went on a little stripey, coupled with speckled finish from the spitting can.

post-5454-0-09934900-1533488249_thumb.jpg

Wet flatted it back with 600 grit.

post-5454-0-90241000-1533488287_thumb.jpg

Not a bad finish, right there. No water on that surface, it was dried.

post-5454-0-97783400-1533488325_thumb.jpg

I hung it up on a box, it decided to stay put well enough to do so. Also found that spraying "forwards" with these cans yields halfway decent results.

Applied clear coat as the blue was still tacky.

It's now drying, we'll see what it looks like once the clear coat stops being cloudy wet.

Phil

That looks alright Phil. Not sure what type of paint dupli-color is but you can cut and polish clear coat with say 2000 grit wet and dry for a better finish. Helps remove any inclusions but be careful you don't go through the clear coat if you do. Looks good straight form the can though so no need to go mad. 

post-5454-0-13808600-1533519379_thumb.jpg

It's dried quite dull and hazy, which is my experience with this type of clear coat. Humidity probably factors in, it got all humid this afternoon, likely adding to the bloom.

I'll flat it back gently and see if I can liberate a shine.

Either way, it's got more paint on it than it ever had, and to add to that, this paint is not porous.

Phil

Edit: The paint finish on the cardboard box it was sitting on is most excellent. The overspray looks fine...

Go figure

Edit edit: Was having a bit of a discussion today on the associative color- I like the front grille in a different color, as too the rear spoiler and rear window fillets. They were satin black. I'm thinking with the blue that wouldn't work so well. I'm thinking a dark charcoal instead. Thoughts?

If you're feeling brave, you could risk another metallic and go for anthracite.  Flat charcoal might just look like faded black plastics.  Alternatively, go full Talbot and paint all your plastic trim satin white.  I wonder why cardboard always ends up looking great when you use it to mask off?  I've had amazingly nice finishes on cardboard straight out of the can while the panel I've been working on next to it has been all sorts of messed up.

I'm guessing it's something with the surface being porous? You can't get the paint to pool because all the esters that normally have to evaporate off are absorbed immediately as leaving a thin cost of paint cleanly on the surface.

Also, metallic anthracite would work, it's an option. I think cream really needs a flat blue to go with.

Phil

Began wet flatting the clear coat back by hand. 800, 1000, 2000, 2500.

post-5454-0-49181500-1533591328_thumb.jpg

The sun decided to come out, typically. Gave it a buff over by hand.

post-5454-0-42166900-1533591361_thumb.jpg

Decided to wedge it back onto the car.

post-5454-0-62437800-1533591382_thumb.jpg

It even beads water now!

post-5454-0-84366400-1533591416_thumb.jpg

I quite like the color. It has shown the necessity for a proper paint gun though.

Phil

Been looking at compressors.

Think 25 gallon tank would be enough to keep up with a spray gun? 2.5hp motor.

Phil

Free air delivery is the key to keeping up rather than tank size. A large tank will allow you to run longer but you will have to wait at some point for it to refill if the FAD is not enough. The only need to keep up is if painting whole car or large areas as running out mid way can lose you the wet edge. Not really something to worry about in this instance.   In reality, it should be fine for doing what you're doing but do check the free air delivery then check gun requirements.  

Yeah. I think I'm going to retain the satin black, it looks better than I thought.

Need to redo the spoiler, but it had to go back on to stop the water getting in!

The contrast of the indicators sets it off, they're not far off the complimentary color.

Phil

Haven't made much progress (read: none) on the car recently, been a bit much going on.

Squealing belt determined to be caused by the harmonic balancer, the rubber of which appears to rapidly be disintegrating.

So that's another thing on the list. That'll make it undriveable, so fun times look to be ahead. PS leak coming from the rack. Ditto.

Joy.