The Wedgister - Princess and Ambassador Records

vulgalour

2 hours ago, adw1977 said:

It looks like the Princess badge is still on the C pillar, so I think it is a base model rather than a higher spec car that's lost its vinyl.

I thought the number plate might be TKJx73S but none of those comes up on the DVLA checker.

that registration series was issued as TKJ-R in period, so that might be worth trying instead :)

when you have been bashing the DVLA/studying registration marks as long as I have you get to know what serial letters where issued in period with what suffix letters

and I knew T was mostly issued during the R suffix period with only some bleed over to S suffix range, so when I saw you got no results on S suffix I immediately knew to try R suffix :) 

means I can pretty quickly spot pretty quickly what would be possible period registration mark, or what will not have been something issued in period

also means age related marks even on suffix cars stand out a mile away to me LOL (that and when they edit the suffix letter in a car brochure for whatever the current year is) 

and knowing this sort of info also helps a lot when trying to figure out a full mark from only a partial read, since you know which combinations to try and which to not bother with (or try only as a last resort)

a good starting point for later work like this is knowing that in October 1974, every single registration series and then reset to Gxx-N and then moved forward from there, (and serial letters went along on their own accord, they did not get incremented on a suffix change)

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

that registration series was issued as TKJ-R in period, so that might be worth trying instead :)

when you have been bashing the DVLA/studying registration marks as long as I have you get to know what serial letters where issued in period with what suffix letters

and I knew T was mostly issued during the R suffix period with only some bleed over to S suffix range, so when I saw you got no results on S suffix I immediately knew to try R suffix :) 

means I can pretty quickly spot pretty quickly what would be possible period registration mark, or what will not have been something issued in period

also means age related marks even on suffix cars stand out a mile away to me LOL (that and when they edit the suffix letter in a car brochure for whatever the current year is) 

and knowing this sort of info also helps a lot when trying to figure out a full mark from only a partial read, since you know which combinations to try and which to not bother with (or try only as a last resort)

a good starting point for later work like this is knowing that in October 1974, every single registration series and then reset to Gxx-N and then moved forward from there, (and serial letters went along on their own accord, they did not get incremented on a suffix change)

My 1975-83 Glass's Marks Guide only lists TKJ being issued with an R reg.  Normally the 3 letter combinations didn't go over to a new suffix, so it's very rare to get them used in 2 consecutive years, unless it has been used later on for age related issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't see any mention of TAO488S here. 1977 Leyland Cars Princess 2200 HL owned by former shiter Breadvan72 (but for sale) and piloted to today's BL Autumn Rally by the esteemed Mr @Skizzer.

TAO488S.thumb.jpg.f29608b766858af13e0b17289a64ac6c.jpg

Also in attendance were known cars KKN840P and LRX19P, all attracting a lot of attention.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get a picture as I was driving but on and off for the past month an orange Princess registered YJO 71R has been parked in the compound of a film studio near me in Cumbernauld. There are a few other old vehicles including a Land Rover and weirdly, wooden rowing boats.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 6:42 PM, Split_Pin said:

I didn't get a picture as I was driving but on and off for the past month an orange Princess registered YJO 71R has been parked in the compound of a film studio near me in Cumbernauld. There are a few other old vehicles including a Land Rover and weirdly, wooden rowing boats.

@rovamotarestored it. Ex Sam Glover car. Phenomenal resto.

19 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Ah cheers, that's the one! It's still there but under a cover now. The paint has gone a bit flat :(

That's a damn shame. I vaguely seem to recall he put it up for sale a while ago. It was an epic resto - lets hope it isn't allowed to deteriorate too much after so much work. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...