It's a fair cop guv'nor!

Baz

My stepson is an officer of the LIURE (pronounced with a suitably ridiculous Peter Sellers French accent :roll: ), and he's just sent me these pics of some of the vehicles used by the Metropolitan Police past and present....Thought I'd share them with Y'all....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

....Loving the "unmarked" P6 Rover: Difficult to see, but in the bottom pic, this car has some sort of "crest" or "Coat of arms" mounted at the front of the roof, reserved for some special duties perhaps?....And I'm slightly puzzled as to why the Metropolitan Police (who, if my understanding is correct, are London based) would be needing a Land Rover! :?

I think that P6 was featured in Practical Classics a number of years back. I think it is a special version with armoured glass etc and weighs in at around 2 tons! On a side note, I thought the cops removed the wheel trims from the P6 3500 because under hard acceleration the wheel trims would sheer off the wheels air valve! :D I think that they also have a 2.8 Capri in their collection as well as an undercover Allegro with noise surveillance equipment installed.

The Land Rover is a SETAC unit, for accidents, and not seen in the picture. two vertical rubber buffers on the front bumper with extensions downwards, used for pushing dead cars off the M4 elevated section etc...........A friend of mine is restoring one of these survivors. Every rivet, nut and bolt has been attended to. I might find his webshite somewhere.

Intrigued to find a picture of a Capri 2.8 injection police car, I stumbled across this site.... www.policecaruk.com....It has some superb pics: including an ex-Greater Manchester Capri injection, and a Volvo 240, looking awfully like the one that was in last weeks "Storms of '87" programme!Interesting stuff....I'll tell my stepson to keep digging for pics! :D

Wowwee I'd have loved to have been behind the wheel of this!

Sunbeam Lotus, Greater Manchester Police (1979)What a rare beast this is! Although several forces used the Sunbeam as a beat car, only GMP used the Lotus version. Six cars were used in all and this is probably the only survivor. Beautifully restored by its current owner Steve Conry

GMP owned at least one 28i jam-sarnie prior to 1987. Way back in 1984 I got pulled by an officer of the law while steaming down Wigan lane. I was doing 35 flat out on a TS50ER, all 50cc and 3hp of it. He let me off with a good bollocking but I still remember his opening gambit......."Now then squadron-leader, having trouble getting off the ground are we?" A few years later the same Rozzer, only this time in a blank Sierra nicked me in the same spot only this time I was on a CBX550 and doing a lot more than 35.......... he didnt let me off!

He let me off with a good bollocking but I still remember his opening gambit......."Now then squadron-leader, having trouble getting off the ground are we?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was doing 35 flat out on a TS50ER, all 50cc and 3hp of it.

A man of taste! Here's mine....

Posted Image

....Superb little bike....Mine would indicate over 40 flat out....My mate's newer TS50X couldn't stay anywhere near it! 8)

• 1 year later...