Ruffgeezer's Garage build.. MASSIVE UPDATE!

ruffgeezer

Well we've taken possession of 2 sectional garages, and have arranged with the owner of the 3rd garage to clear the slab completely (I am just waiting on having that bit in writing!)

Here they are, along with our torti cat, (r.i.p.) :(

080120121441.jpg

So we have here 3 garages at 8'x18'5 per garage approximately.

There were some damaged panels in the set, but enough in the 3 garages to make up 2 good ones, as well as 3 doors, all the wood wanted renewing too, I managed to sell them locally and they will hopefully be removed fairly shortly.

• 2 months later...

I'll drop another few updates in here:

Well this is the land as it lies, our house is the white one on the right, but we don't have the luxury of a garden (the parking space with the saxo in is next door's now), but when these became available, we thought that down the line, if we tried to sell, off street parking would help.

080120121441.jpg

So what are the sectional garages like?

Inside number 3 the floor is damp but most of the panels here are intact:

080120121437.jpg

Inside number 2 however, you can see a couple of panels that have "blown"

080120121440.jpg

080120121439.jpg

080120121438.jpg

Time will tell if all this comes off, wish us luck!

This gap between Garage 1 (the neighbour's) and the shed next to it has to be cleared as well, as BaileyCat demonstrates, it is full of crap:

IMAG0111-1.jpg

Including some potential treasure:

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

Here is was as of last night, I salvaged 3 ex-floorboards and a few shelf brackets, I will also need to find this a new home:

IMAG0305.jpg

I filled trev up with anything that would either burn or go in the scrap skip and disposed of it at work, beats getting turned away at the council tip anyway.

Loosk great, somewhere to store shite + a load of parts?

I really like garages like these, I just wish I owned some that were located closely to home :(

Currently I'm being sub-let a couple of garages both of which contain my 'fleet' + A load of parts and some crap of which belongs to the lad who is sub-letting me the garages. My garages seem to have been built around the 50s they are quite deep, enough to swallow a whole Rover 800 bumper to bumper + a couple more inches.

When I first got the garage:

61d7b61f.jpg

8bb7518b.jpg

As it is now:

ac753595.jpg

Recently one of the garages had been suffering from damp, not good when your storing parts in there so this weekend I got up onto the roof and started to scrape all the crap and vegetation that had been growing on the corrugated roof crevices, great job and hopefully will have sorted out the damp problem, only it created a rather large and heavy mess on the ground below, had to push it somewhere out of the way :?

My dream is to have some sort of warm and clean covered storage where I could work/tinker with my cars freely, have the space to move them about and store my other car inside whilst I tinker with the others.

Currently I'm being sub-let a couple of garages

I have one similar where my Imp currently languishes awaiting some room to appear at my home.

IMAG0271.jpg

Its currently surrounded by Audi 100 parts (hopefully soon to change) but is only £15pm. Bob on. My mate lives in the area and keeps his car in one. His garage is ready to fall down and leaks and is shit but mine is sodding lovely, about 15% bigger and yet I live 4 miles away. Result.

I missed out on the Ruffgeezer garages thanks to shittiness this year, but I do still have the garage the house came with so at least the leaky old Princess isn't riddled with damp in this spectacular monsoon season we're having this year.

20120529-07.jpg

It's quite a big garage really, if a little shorter than I'd like. If I didn't have so much pointless crap in there I could probably work in it too.

Currently I'm being sub-let a couple of garages

I have one similar where my Imp currently languishes awaiting some room to appear at my home.

IMAG0271.jpg

That reminds me, a year or so back, some of the garages on my block had planks missing from them due to the expanding wood (?) or something, I had a peek through the gap in the door of one of the garages and noticed what looked like a Blue Hillman Imp languishing inside.

Your lucky to have those garages close to home, mine are about 12 miles from me :(

My dream is to have some sort of warm and clean covered storage where I could work/tinker with my cars freely, have the space to move them about and store my other car inside whilst I tinker with the others.

Surely thats what every enthusiast wants? And however much space you get, you will always end up filling that space and needing more. Its like some sort of law of physics or something.

My garage is like one of those games that you found in Christmas crackers when you were a kid...you know, you slide one piece to try and make up a picture and then slide up another?

Trouble I find is all I do is move that one space to the other end of the garage, then put something in it.

It must be 3 x worst with 3 garages?

Surely thats what every enthusiast wants? And however much space you get, you will always end up filling that space and needing more. Its like some sort of law of physics or something.

Yeah, that garage is full to the brim of shit surrounding the Imp now. I posted this pic of the GT6's garage the other week too where it is currently being used as a storage facility for Lancia bits.

2012-04-24194732.jpg

Can you tell I live in an expensive area?

I thought you lived in Scotland? :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Well time for another update I think.

As good as his word, the chap who bought the garages turned up on Monday with money and a BFO trailer, here is what went down:

Arrival; the doors are first to go, one loaded already:

DSCF4490.jpg

As he takes the first load (doors and hinges) I grabbed a quick shot of the work so far;

DSCF4491.jpg

And at the end of day one, a couple of strips of roof are taken too:

DSCF4492.jpg

Day two sees the rest of the roof taken as well as most of the outer wall on the left hand unit:

DSCF4498.jpg

DSCF4497.jpg

Note the pile of tin down the side? More on that later...

He came back this evening, hoping to complete the job (as I write, he has just come back)

DSCF4499.jpg

DSCF4500.jpg

Oh yeah, that tin? A full load for trev to take for weighing in tomorrow, so hopefully a bit of cash back...

IMAG0351.jpg

More news as the work comes along apace, check out my dusty slab!

Everything from the van to the fence to a width of 10ft from the house on the left is ours, that's LittleRuff and MrsRuff helping tidy up:

DSCF4511.jpg

We splashed a bit of water about in an attempt to keep the dust down, in the background you can see the last bits of the old garages that I took apart this morning to speed the clearance up a bit:

DSCF4505.jpg

Trying the slab for size with the Ax Vts:

DSCF4507.jpg

DSCF4506.jpg

The next step is putting the trench in for the power to be laid on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Thursday night saw the duct for the cable delivered, so I chucked it into trev and took it to work the next day, threading these things is a pain in the arse!

1) Attach weight to string and poke into ducting:

IMAG0396.jpg

2) Spend rest of lunch break swearing at a spanner that refuses to emerge from the other end:

IMAG0397.jpg

Today, ably assisted by my dad and uncle, we got the trench dug, filled, ducted and backfilled, it took around 5 hours in total, and would have gone a lot smoother if some bastard hadn't dropped 3" of limestone over half of the land to be dug.

The crew on the easy section:

IMAG0398.jpg

My paw after attacking nearly 40ft of 3" thick limestone with a mattock, my palm hasn't been this blistered since I discovered master...er...manual labour!

IMAG0399.jpg

Father Ruff (closest to camera) with the trench depth gauge to his left, hard at removing the spoil:

IMAG0400.jpg

Depth gauge in action:

IMAG0406.jpg

He's smiling here, but after we lined the trench out with sand, he fell into the bag a little later on:

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

All covered up, you'd never know we'd been would you?

IMAG0410.jpg

In the next few weeks, the garage should arrive :D

I admire all the hard work, are you going all that way to connect it to the nearest lamppost? :)

If you look in the foreground of this pic:

IMAG0410.jpg

The very patchy tarmac is where the supply for the road goes past our plot, so they are coming to connect it as soon as the garage is built!

So on friday night, I prepped the slab for the new garage, this entailed knocking off the old cement and sweeping all the rubbish to one side, it having rained, it was quite a messy job, here I am looking grubby on the empty slab for the last time:

IMAG0444.jpg

After collecting a car load of tat on Saturday, we arrived back Sunday evening to find the garage fairy had delivered us this:

IMAG0446.jpg

This morning, I discovered that there is a 7 o'clock in the morning, even on bank holidays, after 2 hours of work, this is what they are up to:

IMAG0448.jpg

IMAG0447.jpg

And I think these bits go on somewhere too:

IMAG0449.jpg

Amazingly quick work, and a huge looking space to boot!

Managed to get a great deal on a door and a window this week, only trouble is there is no key for the lock, so some industrial sized swearing will be in order to remove it.

If any of you guys are building or upgrading your garages, I can heartily recommend visiting your local double glazing bods, and asking what second hand bits they have in, my door and window? £40. Thanks to http://www.turnersofhorncastle.co.uk/ for that!

IMAG0459.jpg

Its not obvious but the bottom of the lock has been drilled already, so I'm hoping to bash a screwdriver into it and jemmy it round to remove it.

Well I couldn't break it, so in the end I had to pick the lock from the drilled end, accomplished by modifying one of Wifey's hair slides, just FFS don't tell her where it went!

After that the lock just pushes out, and the new one slides into it's place, neat!

Pics to come later, I am far to tired and painty to do them now.