Copied and pasted from the blue forum:

Model: DAF 44

Year: 1973

Mileage: 50,000

Tax: 4 months

MOT: Feb 2013

Price: £600

Contact details: 

Due to pregnancy (not me) the DAF is up for sale.

As you know this is a Variomatic with twin belts. Registered in 1973, it has 2 gears (forward and reverse), a sunroof and keep fit windows (a bit stiff and need a push back up). It has every MOT going back to 1976 or 77 and a picture of the original (elderly) owner with it.

I think I remember someone telling me these were the first cars with directional heater controls but I may have just made that up. Please feel free to challenge that piece of history.

It has a 2cylinder aircooled 850cc pushrod engine which sounds like a metal dustbin full of spanners being rolled down a hill, just as it should.

It goes into gear easily, stops as it should and attracts attention from old people everywhere it goes. Remember to sound interested as they tell you that it can go as fast in reverse as it can forwards.

Bought a couple of years ago from Edinburgh we drove this car back to Leeds, the long way via Carlisle and it was ace. Admittedly, for the first 20 mins I was petrified because (as anyone who has ever driven a DAF will know) there is nothing else quite like them. Once I got the hang of it, I had an absolute hoot down the country roads.

Passed the MOT with us only needing (from memory) to change the tyres, replace the seal on the petrol cap and re earth an indicator. Will update on any advisories tomorrow when I have been up to see it.

The paintwork is a bit shabby with several areas crazed but looks okay from a distance but could do with some loving in that department.

All in all its a great little car which I will miss as despite us buying it for my mates wife, I have driven the most using it as a commuter in the snow last year where it made a fool of other cars on the road with its nice skinny tyres and RWD.

I cannot think of another classic car of this era which goes for this sort of money.

If you have any questions at all about it please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Scotty

DAF44.jpg

DAF441.jpg

DAF442.jpg

Its good for about 65 maybe 70mph at a push so is fine with modern traffic. Here is a photo as proof:

4916585750_e717710860_z.jpg

And a second to prove the first one was not a fluke.

overtakelorry.jpg

100_0186.jpg

Older photos:

4915990083_b18fe50eea_z.jpg

DirtyDaf1.jpg

polished.jpg

"Its driven by elastic bands you know dear and goes as fast in forward as it does in reverse....."

PeopleTalkingaboutelDaf.jpg

DafandBentley.jpg

Quite odd but I've just had a phone call about this enquiring if it was still for sale. 

Have just deleted my number from this post in case it came from here and will try and log into RR but can't remember where else I listed it and where else my number is plastered, the ads so old. 

😂😂😂

28 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Quite odd but I've just had a phone call about this enquiring if it was still for sale. 

Have just deleted my number from this post in case it came from here and will try and log into RR but can't remember where else I listed it and where else my number is plastered, the ads so old. 

😂😂😂

Is it still for sale though?

3 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Is it still for sale though?

Possibly by the new owner, you never know. Last I heard it was exported to Ireland. 

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

A DAF 44 with 10 months' MOT for 600 quid.  Good times, good times.

Yeah, can't get squat for anywhere near that these days can you. Let alone something quirky and interesting.