New Renault delivery - well it's been a while!

Renault18

Decided that now my 18 Estate is now finished and in use, that a new addition to the fleet was in order. Say hello to this bad mutha!

DSC00920.jpg

DSC00927-1.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

One owner from new, 57k on the clock. Needs some attention to one front wing, a bit of grot behind the nearside rear wheel arch, tiny bit in front of the offside rear arch and nearside jacking point which I trashed this morning :shock: It is completely mint AND is an GTL Avenue, which rather sadly means I've got a matching pair! I think the other car will now have to go, as I can't keep two and this one is better. The old guy gave up driving last week on his 94th birthday. He was a real gent who originally came from the Wirral (hence the MB plate) and I promised him I'll look after it (I didn't convey my slight concern after a test drive, that I was going to have to drive it from Oxford to Sandbach after having found out the clutch is starting to slip and a front driveshaft/wheel bearing is making a hell of a noise) Needless to say, when he said that it had never been over 55, I didn't need much telling on the way home.

Anyway, 20 quid for a new Valeo clutch on EBay is a start, which I'll sort along with a new Renault clutch cable and pedal.

Oh yes, he said that since the ignition had been reset for unleaded back in 1991, the fuel economy had not been as good - averaging only about 50-55mpg :D:D Well, it appears to have used about 12 quid to get back from Oxford, so that'll do for me!

Tidy. How far apart are the VIN numbers of the pair of them?

Good question - I'll check it out tomorrow. Knowing Renault, probably miles apart even for the same special edition. One thing, this car has got a centre console from a left hand drive version, as the cut out for the clock is on the opposite side to the blue car (the steering wheel therefore obscures the clock completely!!) The cars also have different distributors - the blue car is a Femsa set up, this one is a Ducellier.

Lovely and what a great purchse. When will you get a 14,15 and 17 to match?

R14 TS was my first car, followed by a GTL - going to have to be France for one I think, they are great cars to drive - I must however make the distinction between drive and own, as they were a nightmare to own, especially the GTL. The 14 TS was a really, really good car.

A few years ago I owned possibly the nicest mk2 R15 GTL in existence, which in a moment of madness I decided to sell - what a tit :cry: The downside (or upside) is that now I buy them and don't get rid of any :D

Wow! :shock: That does look tidy. And relatively luxurious too with those alloys. All you need now is that R9 Turbo that rushed Robert Maxwell to the airport ... :D

My sister and her then husband had a D reg facelifted R11 GTL circa 1994/5. Those front seats had a sense of detachment from the rest of the car, which felt odd.

There's an R15 on eBay:

$(KGrHqF,!jME9IW8lhr6BPW7oMYcgg~~60_35.JPG

R15

I really like the front end styling on these. :D

That's quite delightful. Always liked the Renault 9, in fact I've always liked small saloons. The first VW Derbys were really attractive as well.

Bought a 9 GTL for my girlfriend in the early 90s which we both really liked, it did tend to overheat a bit though.

Your car looks like a TSE, was the Avenue dressed up to look like one?

Lovely and what a great purchse. When will you get a 14,15 and 17 to match?

R14 TS was my first car, followed by a GTL - going to have to be France for one I think, they are great cars to drive - I must however make the distinction between drive and own, as they were a nightmare to own, especially the GTL. The 14 TS was a really, really good car.

A few years ago I owned possibly the nicest mk2 R15 GTL in existence, which in a moment of madness I decided to sell - what a tit :cry: The downside (or upside) is that now I buy them and don't get rid of any :D

A few years ago I owned possibly the nicest mk2 R15 GTL in existence, which in a moment of madness I decided to sell - what a tit :cry:

And we are both talking about the same car Richard...My eldest son will never forgive me for selling it either.