Lord Sterling's motors - Small update

Lord Sterling

Cheers lads!

Nice car. Can the dash lift be fixed?

Dash can be fixed, there has been varying levels of success/failure with getting a dash back down, mostly it's about finding the best glue, clamps applying it smartly and clamping it down overnight. Not sure I've got any of that to be honest, but I may give it a try.

Now that I like. Reckon it could easily be a decent daily driver with a bit of love and attention, and even if not, it's not like you've sunk your savings account into it.

Are the wings just bolt-on items on these? I'm sure there's a place which does fibreglass 800 front wings for ultimate rustproofing.

I presume it's exposure to the Sun that causes it?

Maybe wait until we get a really hot day, park it in the sun with a brick on the dash and see if it melts back to where is supposed to be

One slight problem with doing that. Mo lives in England and that ONE really hot day we get is probably another 4 months away.

Cheers again chaps!

Now that I like. Reckon it could easily be a decent daily driver with a bit of love and attention, and even if not, it's not like you've sunk your savings account into it.

Are the wings just bolt-on items on these? I'm sure there's a place which does fibreglass 800 front wings for ultimate rustproofing.

very true, I'm not about to sink any money to it apart from slapping an MOT on, maybe a good polish but for now a bit of an interior clean up is my next task.

Wings are indeed just bolt-on items, changed many myself before. I'm trying to rack my brain and remember if I have got a Blue wing somewhere. If not, I'm sure I can get the corroded bit patched up.

Messed about with this today, found out the sunroof rubber was getting caught on the frame due to the rubber surround splitting and raising off the glass otherwise sunroof works without problems.

Interior was SERIOUSLY grubby, loads of layers of settled dust, but more because it had never been cleaned rather than having been made grubby carelessly. Still having to get to all those crevices was a bit of work to get to.

There were still loads of greenery on the car lingering on various bit the Kurdish Car Wash missed.

The paintwork still seems to still have a deep shine to it still despite the small bits of blemishes on it. The sills are seriously solid and original as are the rear arches. However, the one wing is rusted through and the other has a bash on the lip. Sadly I think I've just missed out on a pair of correctly-coloured unblemished wings :(

Spoke to Brad today, the 820i SE was some sort of Special Edition aimed at business users back in the day for tax reasons, it was priced apparently £1 under the tax threshold or something and less than the asking price of the less equipped 820i.

Next on the list is door cards and investigate why the both driver side doors aren't working with central locking. Also, check why fan isn't kicking in and letting the car overheat at idle.

Top bombing for a free car! I've never seen a wing that rotten on a 800 though - have you taken a wing on and off one yet? It's a job I've done, and it's a ballache, but an easy ballache if that makes sense? If you're planning on keeping it, I've got a wing you can have (I don't want money for it, just eternal gratitude and admiration). I even think it's in the right colour. Probably.

And talk about suffering for the cause - I'd not weigh them in. It's nice to have a "thing" going, even if it pisses you off at times. And to be fair, you could park an 800 in a silica gel factory on Mars, and the boot would still fill up with water.

See you at PoL?

Lol! Nice one Partz!

Yes, yesterday I discovered the boot had water in it, but not much.

I have indeed changed a few of these wings. My KV6 had a seriously rotton wing when I first got it, almost immediately I found a correctly coloured wing and got it bashed on hence when you look at the KV6 from the drivers side, the white side stripe finishes at the drivers door. Changing the wing took me about 20 mins if that. I'm sure this'll take me just as long.

Not going to keep this car, I've too many as it is, I may sell another Mk1 aswell just to get the numbers down. Mrs_Sterling is far more important to me right now than these cars, they need too much work and money chucking at them now and I just don't have the time. I will always have a couple of 800s but I think it's time to cut the fleet down.

I'd certainly be interested in that wing your offering if it's thenright colour. Been racking my brain trying to remember if I have one in this colour...

Not going to PoL now, was gonna bring 820 with me but I'm working now which is no bad thing, I really need it now.

Nice one Mo, doesn't look in bad shape overall for it's age and I think the blue suits it really well. 

Was offered a K reg 820i hatch in red with no wheel trims and noisy exhaust can't remember if it was blowing or had some cherry bomb etc fitted when I was 21 for £80 as it had 10 mths tax but no mot and to be honest If I had rocked up to my mums house with that she would have killed me as I had four cars already at the time.

Hope it does you a good turn mate, as mentioned already that dash buckle takes some beating mind you rather that than the 80's Ford cracked dashboards any day.

My Grandad is running round in a Rover 45 at the moment that has a possible headgasket failure he keeps saying he wants rid but doesn't seam to be rushing to buy a replacement. 

Am half tempted to take it off his hands and save it but everybody I've asked about the headgasket replacement want £500+ to do it! 

Lol, thanks BV, but I reckon I've got enough Rovers on my hands, plus my bank account currently says £0.00 (not fae long though hopefully)

Nice one Mo, doesn't look in bad shape overall for it's age and I think the blue suits it really well.

Was offered a K reg 820i hatch in red with no wheel trims and noisy exhaust can't remember if it was blowing or had some cherry bomb etc fitted when I was 21 for £80 as it had 10 mths tax but no mot and to be honest If I had rocked up to my mums house with that she would have killed me as I had four cars already at the time.

Hope it does you a good turn mate, as mentioned already that dash buckle takes some beating mind you rather that than the 80's Ford cracked dashboards any day.

My Grandad is running round in a Rover 45 at the moment that has a possible headgasket failure he keeps saying he wants rid but doesn't seam to be rushing to buy a replacement.

Am half tempted to take it off his hands and save it but everybody I've asked about the headgasket replacement want £500+ to do it!

Cheers Mike, as I said, I reckon I just need rid of it unless work starts paying me sooner or another shiter needs a straight saloon just to borrow for a bit then I *may* keep it.

Wish I'd have known ya when you were offered the K-reg 820i, I'd have happily have had that. I was well jel when some lad at my college passed his test and rocked up in a K-reg 820i saloon in Blue. He later smashed into a bollard. :(

Actually, on the business of old people and Rovers, something I forgot to mention was amongst all the paperwork I received with the car was 2 of my own hand-written notes I left on the car a few years back! Now that made me smile.

Owning your Grandads Rover and dojng thengasket can't be any worse than owning a Laguna surely? :mrgreen:

Hi Mo,

Sadly as with all us at one time or another that 820 goes into my list of, should of brought cars as it was in good shape from what I can remember overall.  

Wanted to buy another Fiat tomorrow that I'd been keeping a eye on but going to have to turn it down as it mean I'd have to scrap my Cavalier and that's just too cruel for me to even consider so I prob add that to the list in the future. 

Great that the previous owner kept your hand written notes it was clearly ment to be your car next even if just for a short while. Hope it goes ok with the Mot and repays you the favour.

The 45 isn't a bad car at all my dad drove it to Wales about 18 mths ago and reckoned it was a decent drive despite my grandads moaning, just gotta find the right person to sort the gasket and it be fine. 

I think the 45 got more chance of everything working as it's intended unlike the Laguna that's for sure!  

Mike, I know a couple of people who might be able to sort the 45s gasket for a bit cheaper than £500. Still a few hundred but not £500.

Don't scrap your Cav if you don't need to. There are options open to you and I can sort out a garage in Telford if needs be to give you some breathing space.

Cheers Mo,

Well my Grandad keeps threatening to buy a new car and get shot of the Rover as he keeps moaning about it which really annoys me as it's been a good car despite his neglect and my dad brought it for him in the first place too which I think he now regrets! 

If he decided to get rid my dad will most likely end up with it back so I might pm you if that happens and see what the options are as it's tidy otherwise. 

No I wouldn't / couldn't scrap the Cav thanks for the mention of the garage too I have a think on that appreciated Mo. 

Lol! Nice one Partz!

Yes, yesterday I discovered the boot had water in it, but not much.

I have indeed changed a few of these wings. My KV6 had a seriously rotton wing when I first got it, almost immediately I found a correctly coloured wing and got it bashed on hence when you look at the KV6 from the drivers side, the white side stripe finishes at the drivers door. Changing the wing took me about 20 mins if that. I'm sure this'll take me just as long.

Not going to keep this car, I've too many as it is, I may sell another Mk1 aswell just to get the numbers down. Mrs_Sterling is far more important to me right now than these cars, they need too much work and money chucking at them now and I just don't have the time. I will always have a couple of 800s but I think it's time to cut the fleet down.

I'd certainly be interested in that wing your offering if it's thenright colour. Been racking my brain trying to remember if I have one in this colour...

Not going to PoL now, was gonna bring 820 with me but I'm working now which is no bad thing, I really need it now.

As I say, let me know. I'll be changing jobs soon and will have a couple of weeks off before moving on, so should be around for vehicular capers.

• 10 months later...

Cheers TADTS! I bought a copy after being given the heads up from one of our members who works at Classic Car Buyer. My KV6 Sterling features on the front cover!

Regarding my Rovers. I've lost my mojo; I'm fighting a never ending battle trying to bring Mrs_Sterling over here as well as looking after her financially in a different country as well as keeping my own head above water. My Rovers have been almost forgotten about. I clean them and run a couple of them when I can.

G-reg Sterling has a blown engine, E-reg 825 is OK but a bit rusty in places, N-reg Sterling needs recommissioning work including an expansion tank, D-reg 820e is fine and dandy, and the KV6 is parked next to my BMW and run every now and again but it needs a radiator and some sills welding up. The 820i SE was sold a couple of months back.

Thanks again TADTS! :)