IoW Scrappage victims...remembered

Jack_Harpers_Teeth

As I alluded too in another topic, just as the scrappage scheme was ending I paid a visit to the local yard to see what had come in. Old skool yard, given a guided tour by some nipper in overalls and wellies.

suzuki.jpg

moggy1.jpg

^^^This MInor was still taxed.

mg1.jpg

This MG was a one owner from new car, something like 23,000 miles from new. Scrappaged.

mg2.jpg

mg3.jpg

This Herald had been brought in as well;

herald2.jpg

herald3.jpg

Apparently (so I was told) that a lot of people were "digging Grandad's car" out of the garage and bringing them in under the scheme. Whether this was bullshit is anyone's guess.

The engine ran on this car when I pulled on the starter;

herald1.jpg

This Rebel was in there too;

kitten1.jpg

I went to see this:

dol1-1.jpg

Which was impossible to take parts off due to impossible location - they wouldn't get it down for me as they were so stocked they had no clear place to put it!! :roll:

Others in the yard (non scrappage) were these:

lotty2.jpg

lorry3.jpg

cadalac.jpg

yank.jpg

There was plenty more but I appear to (once again) deleted a good many of the pictures I took that day (sorry).

A Sad (and unproductive) day out that was. :cry:

I'd guess these photos were taken summer-autumn last year? I remember wandering around there at the end of last year trying to find various rebel and scimitar compatible bits. They had a Robin, a Realto, A lotus Elcat (full of old tyres), a fantastic early dennis fire tender in the big shed and an assortment of MG's and Triumphs. I tried to buy all the front suspension of that Herald (as its rebel compatible) but it was being kept for a friend of the owner of the yard. :(

I missed the Rebel saloon by 2 weeks, Apparently it was tidy, ran and drove when it came in... when I first visited the bodyshell had just been destroyed. The chassis, suspension and some of the other parts went off to the mainland for an unknown purpose, probably a kit car. The Lights and bumpers are still at the yard somewhere but could not be found while I was there. I bought the boot which was the only bit they could find and it is now fitted to the red saloon. It was a huge waste a good car went off the road and very few useful parts were saved. Another victim of scrapage stupidity :roll: .

The blokes at the yard seemed happy enough to let parts go for sensible money, I think I walked away with a fuel filler neck with chrome locking cap, a set of chrome door handles and a perfect chrome numberplate light for about £15, Next time I'm on the island I'll hopefully have a chance to call in again and see whats left.

The Scrappage Scheme is very much our generation's 'thing', much like the speed limit being introduced on the motorways was the 'thing' for a previous generation and having to switch to unleaded fuel being another. That reminds me, really ought to get hold of another Scrappage Scheme Survivor sticker for the Princess, in brown or orange ideally.

Just boils your piss to think of the waste involved in that dumbass scheme. :evil:

I'll bet some of the crappy Hyundais and Kias that were bought with scrappage money will be joining these cars in the same scrapyards in a couple of years.

But at least we didn't all die of climate change :roll:

The Scrappage Scheme is very much our generation's 'thing', much like the speed limit being introduced on the motorways was the 'thing' for a previous generation and having to switch to unleaded fuel being another. That reminds me, really ought to get hold of another Scrappage Scheme Survivor sticker for the Princess, in brown or orange ideally.

I did some of those, never got round to selling any though!

scrappageweb.jpg

Apparently (so I was told) that a lot of people were "digging Grandad's car" out of the garage and bringing them in under the scheme. Whether this was bullshit is anyone's guess.

I'd be more inclined to think this was true. It wouldnt surprise me. Alot of people would do pretty much anything to get ahead in the 'we got the newest car' game.

The waste caused by that scrappage scam is nothing short of a crime and as for helping the environment that's a load of old bollocks - I think we all know the real reason for it. Why on earth did that Sherpa drophead get the chop? That's got to be worth more than 2 grand so could the owner just not be bothered to sell it? At least the US equivalent had a maximum age limit so classics like this weren't eligible.

How about an autoshite scrappage scheme to redress the balance? Trade in your modern pile of crap, we'll turn it into bean cans and give you a nice beige Marina instead. Everybody wins!

A real shame to see those before and after rebel pics. I'd imagine rebels are quite rare, but any car that was worth around a grand or less were basically 'at risk' The whole thing was very materialistic, the opposite of make do and mend, dressed up as a way of saving the rainforests etc

IIRC not suprising those suzukis got basically zero factory rustproofing other than a lick of paint, plus with such a small car suspension and seatbelt mounts are within xcm of most of the body MOT wise

Those planes weren't brand new, they are refurbished Comet 4 airframes FFS! Nimrod 2000 that became Nimrod something else when there was no chance of the various contractors delivering the things within the 20th century, despite the original contract being signed in the 1980s.

Maybe if BAe had delivered the bloody things on time they would be in the air now, rather than dragging their feet for about 15 years so that it would have been out of date by the time it was deployed. Modern computing/radar technology means they don't even need to be airliner size any more, IIRC the new US made ones will be using the Gulfstream executive jet airframe.

Those planes weren't brand new, they are refurbished Comet 4 airframes FFS! Nimrod 2000 that became Nimrod something else when there was no chance of the various contractors delivering the things within the 20th century, despite the original contract being signed in the 1980s.

Maybe if BAe had delivered the bloody things on time they would be in the air now, rather than dragging their feet for about 15 years so that it would have been out of date by the time it was deployed. Modern computing/radar technology means they don't even need to be airliner size any more, IIRC the new US made ones will be using the Gulfstream executive jet airframe.

Hmmm.... working for a 'certain MoD contractor' S.W.S.E., several years ago, at a shipyard round the corner.. :wink: .. I recall an enthusiastic young Project Manager being firmly reprimanded by his boss...[no one in earshot, mind...!] "NO.. you don't point out the error they are about to make, at the meeting... you wait, and quote for resolving/re-engineering the consequences"

I could say who... but I'd have to kill you :wink:

Was It Ever Thus.........

tooSavvy

Those planes weren't brand new, they are refurbished Comet 4 airframes FFS!

Well, yes, but but practically everything on them was brand new! If you'd bought a lovely old '69 Victor and spent nearly £4bn refurbishing it, if the books didn't add up at the end of the year you'd finish your project and sell it on ebay, or use it as it was intended. Not, weigh it in at the scrappers and six months later think "bugger! We needed those in the end! Let's spend another billion buying from more.. from America" (which is what's happening now). Let's be honest it's BAE's fault completely (Olympics 300% over budget too, I see a pattern emerging), but their scrapping is quite literally akin to taking £4bn in notes to your local recycling centre.

HyundaiScrap.jpg

:|

Speaking of Scrappage Scheme stickers, here's mine. The Polo could have very easily been weighed in for the Scrappage Scheme. This little sticker is a constant reminder for me to be sensible and not scrap a perfectly servicable machine that has more than paid for himself by doing everything I ask and surprising a good number of people along the way. He might be lowered, and I might have a questionable taste in cosmetic modifications, but he's still on the tiny 1043cc engine with no performance modifications and does everything I want and need.

100822-10.jpg

Besides which, how could I scrap such a noble steed that helped me move the most improbable things from Sheffield to the new residence?

Dining table and all my books.

110901-03.jpg

The small sofa (me on the right, brother on the left)

110901-02.jpg

The big sofa with Dad driving, (I had a hernia happen the day I moved house, joy!) and yes, people did point and laugh at him.

110901-01.jpg

The fridge-freezer, which none of my friends thought was a good idea to move with the Polo, but I was fine as long as I didn't go too fast and it wasn't windy.

110901-04.jpg

Couldn't do half of that with something I'd've got in exchange via the Scrappage Scheme and better yet, by sticking with the Polo I don't have a billion years of finance to work through. Just in case the pitchforks and torch weilding begins, here's a picture of something more Autoshitey to calm you all after all that VW nonsense.

fso-125p-pick-up-11.jpg

I should probably point out in the above picture, the bonnet was up because my horn had stopped working (blown fuse) and there were 2 people in the back with all the cushions, me brother and I in the front, with more cushions and as we set off back to the house (the purple sofas were a Freecycle find) it started raining and getting windy. The looks we got at road ends were priceless, I only wish I'd had a video camera with me at the time, it was a proper hoot coming home all loaded up, especially on corners where it felt like the whole car might tip over.