THAT abandoned dealer again Swadlincole

Alexg

^ No.

Chris has negotiated a deal on it, but has decided it's too much work for him to take on. It's a low-ball price, but it's a deal agreed between him and the seller.

The car is semi-ruined, but a small group of us on this thread would like to see it resurrected. I've said (several times) I'd be happy to lob a few groats in a pot if others were interested in doing the same, but it would ultimately require somebody to take it on and to store it/oversee working parties.

Chris has asked me to point genuinely interested parties his way and he's happy to do the deal. If there were enough of us that SERIOUSLY wanted to do this, purchase price would be negligible. The cost of getting it back into roadworthy condition is much more relevant, and will be a significantly higher figure.

I only mentioned Chris and his interest on here as someone wrongly suggested he was going to save the Rover.

Hopefully those who are genuinely interested in saving this car will express their interest below. If that happens, I am happy to act as a go-between.

For those who still want to know numbers, but don't want to endure this 'stonecutters secretive buggerance', fill your boots and get on the blower to the seller yourselves. Hopefully your intentions are in keeping with the former ethos of this place, and you intend to get the old girl back on the road, rather than just drag it out and weigh it in.

So, who's in?

Me. I'm bastard potless and near car-less now. But nothing makes sense right now and very little makes me happy. It'd make me happy to see this old thing back on the road or even as spares. Yes, I now how to break Rover 800s, I've had enough experience.

Good man. Well that's two of us.

A monumentally fucked (and vandalised) example of a thoroughly undesirable Rover, available for sale only via James Bond levels of secrecy... that's reaching new levels of 'niche' even by the standards of this place! GLWTS.

Brilliant. Thanks for your opinion.

People sucking through teeth and shaking their heads, stating how shit it is and questioning 'who in their right mind would restore that old snotter' is one of the very reasons I'd like to see the car saved.

Brilliant. Thanks for your opinion.

People sucking through teeth and shaking their heads, stating how shit it is and questioning 'who in their right mind would restore that old snotter' is one of the very reasons I'd like to see the car saved.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was the paddock at Silverstone during of their classic meets. There was Ferrari (P5 I think) worth fuck loads of cash with barriers around it, parked next to it was a slightly ropey looking Mk1 mini, probably worth £10k with the mods done to it. Guess which had the biggest crowd? Cars like this talk to people as it’s their memories whereas something like a Ferrari was only ever a poster car to 99.9% of people. I am sadly not in a position to help (but could help with a working party or being a pair of hands moving it as it’s local to me) but wish you every success.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was the paddock at Silverstone during of their classic meets. There was Ferrari (P5 I think) worth fuck loads of cash with barriers around it, parked next to it was a slightly ropey looking Mk1 mini, probably worth £10k with the mods done to it. Guess which had the biggest crowd? Cars like this talk to people as it’s their memories whereas something like a Ferrari was only ever a poster car to 99.9% of people. I am sadly not in a position to help (but could help with a working party or being a pair of hands moving it as it’s local to me) but wish you every success.

Thanks chap. Faith slowly being restored.

I'd love that Cav. Rolling around on nice comfortable 13" tyres, basking in the grim base spec interior while the headlining falls on you over bumps.

Then you remember you're only paying £140 a year to tax it (becoz 1389cc) and realise you are winning at life!

(or just buy a better one on eBay for less than it'll cost to recommission this one)

What i dont get is that its quite obvious that shouldnt be two grand.

Has anyone actually phoned that phone number? I would but i dont like people.

I’ve phoned the number and I’ve spoken to Grenville the owner of the garage. He is a lovely chap and was enthusiastic about the cars (well, he was 10 years ago).

I’ve said it before but I’m happy to help with moving the Rover out of the garage, I can lend mechanical know how etc.

cav will have the 14nv carb engine, pierburg 2e3 twin choke and about 90bhp. its the nova 1.4 sr engine. the 1.4 was quite rare and didnt go over to the facelift. front welding will be the rear of the front inner arches where it meets the floorpans. killed off a lot of cavs due to the fuel lines being close by. rot at rear could be spring seats. if anyone gets the cav factor in a cambelt and waterpump aswell as any repairs. 

would have liked the jamaican yellow mk2 astra myself. mmmmmm

Thanks so far for the offers of help and/or money in the pot.

Still need a special individual to lead the reins though...

#whydoesBornitehavetoomanyprojectsalready

Ha. I nearly collared a lady at the MOT station today whose 95 Corsa failed on a weld fest too!

I should probably jump in here, shouldn't I? 

I was all giddy about taking it on. The journalist in me things it's a belting story if nothing else. However, HOWEVER, someone on twitter was kind enough to go and take some pictures of it on Monday and, well, it's not the romantic, gently sitting relic I hoped it'd be. I wasn't being naive, but at the same time, I wasn't expecting it to look as bad as it did. 

The car has been sold. The only reason I'm in the mix is because it was sold to the guy who ought my 827SLi off me. He's taken/taking some bits of the green car (front and rear lights, window regulators, odd bits of trim) and has offered me the car for £100. I can't, however, justify the £170 to get it to my unit in Bristol. If I could, i would at least consider it. But with a '65 Zephyr to do and a 800 Vitesse Sport to finish the 820 would have to put up a very strong case indeed. 

If you want to save it, and can actually do it (it's a logistical pig given it has no wheels and brakes are probably ceased solid), drop me a line and I'll hook you up with the chap. Sorry if it was all a bit secret squirrel, but I have to respect the current owner's and Grenville's privacy. It's only decent. 

Also, I should be getting more pictures of it tomorrow. Will share accordingly. 

Here's how it stands as of right now (well, 48 hours ago)

post-20707-0-87662800-1556120886_thumb.jpg

Chris

Taxed worse etc blah.

If someone really wants a good story to tell, and they can tell it well, then there’s still legs in it.

I have too many unfinished cars right now, but it’s probably not a lot worse than the Mini I’m fighting. Only parts availability makes fixing simpler. With a breaker car tho it would be done in a few months.

In all honesty if it keeps another car on the road some good has come from it. The alternative is that it’s left there another 3 months then some yoofs set fire to the lot in the kids holidays. In an ideal world it’d sit there forever but in all likelihood it’ll either be dragged when the garage falls down/redeveloped or mindlessly set on fire by cunts.

I should probably jump in here, shouldn't I?

I was all giddy about taking it on. The journalist in me things it's a belting story if nothing else. However, HOWEVER, someone on twitter was kind enough to go and take some pictures of it on Monday and, well, it's not the romantic, gently sitting relic I hoped it'd be. I wasn't being naive, but at the same time, I wasn't expecting it to look as bad as it did.

The car has been sold. The only reason I'm in the mix is because it was sold to the guy who ought my 827SLi off me. He's taken/taking some bits of the green car (front and rear lights, window regulators, odd bits of trim) and has offered me the car for £100. I can't, however, justify the £170 to get it to my unit in Bristol. If I could, i would at least consider it. But with a '65 Zephyr to do and a 800 Vitesse Sport to finish the 820 would have to put up a very strong case indeed.

If you want to save it, and can actually do it (it's a logistical pig given it has no wheels and brakes are probably ceased solid), drop me a line and I'll hook you up with the chap. Sorry if it was all a bit secret squirrel, but I have to respect the current owner's and Grenville's privacy. It's only decent.

Also, I should be getting more pictures of it tomorrow. Will share accordingly.

Here's how it stands as of right now (well, 48 hours ago)

attachicon.gifD4w-GKHXoAACnbX.jpg

Chris

Thanks for adding specifics on the price and situation Chris. As previously mentioned, I'm happy to help with collecting funding and as a go-between with anything if required - we just need someone with the space and/or skills to take on the old girl, or at least to lead a group buy.

I find this whole tale so very sad. I take it that poor Rover is the only car (just about) left there now? Being totally biased the big saving grace is that the Favorit got saved and put back n the road. Going off topic does anyone in Kent/Sussex remember the classic car dealer that used to be in Brookland on the edge of Romney Marsh? Used to have some interesting stock and was always worth a diversion past it if I was down that way. But it too was abandoned and the remaining stock left to its fate. Was particularly sad that a split screen Minor and an MGB GT got left to be set upon by morons. Don't know what's there now...probably a small estate of des res's.

I'm lacking space and funds to take on one of the cars myself at the minute, but still willing to offer help where possible or donate sum money towards saving any remaining cars as mentioned before. Would have stopped by yesterday myself as my Cav was in for the Mot in Burton, but it disgraced itself so left it with the garage to sort and got a lift home. Still got the ridged bar here though to help pull any cars out if needed.