Lorry question...

wuvvum

That's what I would have guesstimated, but then Bedford were always known for having piss-poor power outputs from their engines... I know the '70s Ford 6-litre without a turbo is around 100bhp (I had that engine in my old D series) and that wasn't exactly quick. They made the TK with a 220 non-turbo, which I think was about 65bhp, and the one I rode in barely managed 50mph flat out. I'm just wondering whether the addition of a turbo added substantially to that or not - a Leyland Roadrunner, for example, has 130bhp without a turbo but only 150 with, and the Ford 360 was similar - the Cargo was sold as an 0813 with no turbo and an 0815 with the blower. An equivalent increase in the Bedford would give it about 75bhp, which is not going to make for a fast truck...

Found this but it may not match your application http://www.blairs.co.nz/diesel/diesel1.html

Don’t know if New Zealand spec would be the same as UK. Just to complicate matters still further, it seems the engine found marine applications too. I’d expect those to be even less powerful :lol:

A rather nicely painted TL that isn't a horsebox:

Posted Image

Ta fer that. I'm not sure which of those outputs are marine application outputs - certainly the only engine in there that I'm certain about, the Perkins 4.236, was 74bhp in my Commer Walkthrough, but only 60 on that site. Still, I suppose 90bhp isn't too bad - that's what my Dodge 50 was, and that wasn't overly slow. Plus a turbo diesel should have more torque than a non-turbo.

Edit: That TL is rather nice, isn't it? I wonder if it's running a 220 or a 330?

I notice some Bedfords have 6 stud wheels and others 8 studs, does this hint at some difference in mechanical spec, for example the difference between 4-pot and 6-pot donks?

I think it has more to do with the gross weight - 7.5-tonners (and below - I think the TL went down to 5.6 tonne) generally have 6-stud 17.5" wheels, and the heavier versions will have 8-stud 19.5" wheels. If it's a 7.5-tonner on 8-studs then it's been downrated from a higher gross weight. I think though that it's safe to assume that anything with 8-stud wheels is going to have a 6-pot engine - I don't think even Bedford would have dared to fit a ten tonne truck with a 220 engine.