Shite Postcards

pompei

Initially, I was pleasantly surprised that the Goethehaus appeared to have survived the bombing of Frankfurt am Main during WW2...

big-6527058015.jpg

But it was too good to be true...

10_hochstift1.jpg

What we see today is a 1949 facsimile.

Ironically the bombing took place on 22 March 1944, 112 years to the day Goethe died.

However, the house had already been sold by his mother in 1795, including all contents.

It passed through several owners before it was acquired by a trust, that reverted it to

its perceived originality according to Goethe's autobiography.

So what was bombed was already a reconstruction.

The Goethe Haus in Weimar is a different story, though.

However, the contents of both houses were already taken into safe storage before they

were destroyed. Imagine the loss if that wouldn't have been done.

I once slept (and did other things) in the garden pavillion of the Weimar Goethe Haus

when there still proudly was a DDR, since I had an understanding with one of the female

museum attendants at the time.

I once slept (and did other things) in the garden pavillion of the Weimar Goethe Haus

when there still proudly was a DDR, since I had an understanding with one of the female

museum attendants at the time.

Pretty nice strategic choice, you didn't get unnoticed though.

From the Stasi archives:

http://www.app-in-die-geschichte.de/document/54835

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-67941-0015%2C_Weim

Initially, I was pleasantly surprised that the Goethehaus appeared to have survived the bombing of Frankfurt am Main during WW2...

big-6527058015.jpg

But it was too good to be true...

10_hochstift1.jpg

What we see today is a 1949 facsimile.

you think of ^^ it as a bad thing? post war regeneration in the UK gave us such gifts as Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham and Croydon amongst many other examples. 

May not walk on the same boards etc but still a nice thing to see

The buildings either side are more representative of vernacular postwar reconstruction; in Germany, France and the UK.

Which is itself disappearing at a rapid rate.

I hope some examples will be listed before this era buildings are gone without a trace.

Are they ugly? In a way, yes. But they aren't being replaced with anything nice either.

Which is itself disappearing at a rapid rate.

I hope some examples will be listed before this era buildings are gone without a trace.

Are they ugly? In a way, yes. But they aren't being replaced with anything nice either.

Southampton is a prime example of WW2 destruction, epic post-war rebuilding and subsequent 21st century redevelopment into a jumble of un-related, mis-matching flatpack mid-rises.   There is hardly anything left of the city I grew up in and I never visit it now.    

We had stuff like this...  

post-5367-0-02381000-1493981069_thumb.jpg

post-5367-0-96511800-1493981095_thumb.jpg 

The cruise terminal is now a shed such as you might find on a mushroom farm but God only knows what now lurks at the Polygon.   Like I say, I never go there now.....

• 2 weeks later...