Vauxhall at it again.

Timewaster

From the rebadgers of the Suzuki Splash, the Renault Traffic and the Chevrolet Captiva we have an All New Combo van.

Vauxhall-ComboVan_001.jpg

Look familiar?

fiat-doblo-WN11UUC.jpg

And thats just the current ones. Recent history is littered with rebadged Isuzu 4x4s, Isuzu and suzuki vans, Hot holdens and the crowning turd that was the Sintra.

It does make you wonder whats going on when one of the biggest manufacturers in the world is reduced to Peroduas strategy.

Vauxhall isn't a large manufacturer btw.And all car manufacturers do it.

:roll: Not getting into any arguments but...er... GM?

And yes, I know they own large stakes in Isuzu and Suzuki and several other donor companies.

Fiat and GM may have dissolved their partnership but it seems the sharing continues.

Other companies do it, Fiat 500 / Ford Ka for example, but Vauxhall are the only brand I can think of that is so blatant.

ALL manufacturers do it?

Several yes, but ALL?

In the heart of Shite territory... Saab 9000/Fiat Croma and whatever else was on that platform. VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda, right across the range. Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner/VW vans. Rover/Honda. Chrysler/Mercedes and since then, Chrysler/Fiat/Lancia.

Best not to get started on BMC or Rootes....

Ah, the Comblo. I have yet to receive the technical training on this beauty. I did notice that they use the Fiat 5 bolt hub, which means another different type of wheel, wheelbolt, brakes, hubs etc etc etc. Why they didn't just use the Meriva as a base is beyond me. I mean, it already has the large orifices on the sides, it wouldn't take a genius to engineer a SLD onto the shell. A missed in-house opportunity I say.

C1/107/Aygo at least look a bit different. Lights, grill bumpers etc.

Others that spring to mind...

Maverick / Terranno II

Maverick II / Mazda Tribute

Suzuki SX4 / Fiat Sedici

Seeing a few names crop up over and over.

Thinkng about it, VW have been rebadging HiLux pickups and the Skoda Felicia pick up.

Please, nobody mention the Cygnet

Even Rover managed a new nose and tail when they were flogging us Hondas. (Triumph Acclain excepted)

Yes. The Chevrolet Venture, to be precise:

Chevrolet-Venture.jpg

Yuck!

Oooh! Shite that was shite even before it was rebadged.

I bet it makes bonging noises for no reason as well like every other 90s American car. Must add a Sintra to the list :)

Does a van driver give a toss what badge is on his tailgate? :?

Bloody right we do! There's a world of difference between (for example) a Mercedes Sprinter and an Iveco TurboDaily, and after far too many miles in both, and assorted others, I know which one I'd rather drive. The workers ain't eating sauerkraut for lunch...

Discovery? Nah, Honda Crossroad mate!

Honda+crossroad.jpg

Saw one of those a few weeks ago, most here have the Honda badging removed cause we all know landrovers are better than Hondas.

Edited to include proof from the for sales !

6866511982_73ba6495cb.jpg

Honda Crossroad..yes really by stuno602, on Flickr

6866512074_33c5a1d79a.jpg

Honda Crossroad by stuno602, on Flickr

6866512172_0f9fa36273.jpg

Yes it really is a Honda! by stuno602, on Flickr

7012624577_a5198b6960.jpg

Crossroad interior rebadged ! by stuno602, on Flickr

Back in the mists of time though we had BLMC and the AD016 Montage:

250px-1966.morris.1100.arp.jpg

Wolsley

250px-Austin_1300_in_Langen.jpg

Riley

250px-MG_1300_ca_1968_Castle_Hedingham_2008.JPG

Austin

250px-Riley_Kestrel_1300_1275cc_October_1968.JPG

Morris

250px-Vanden-Plas_Princess_1100_01.jpg

Holden

250px-Wolseley_1300_March_1972_1275_cc.JPG

And the Innocenti IM3 - the best-looking of the lot, I reckon.

4430225314_51ca69777a.jpg

On the subject of Vauxhall, remember the brand is sold only in the UK. It doesn't appear on cars anywhere else in the world. Developing specific vehicles for the UK market, especially relatively niche models like light commercials, is not cost-effective. Platform sharing is nothing new and badge-engineering has been going on for ever. How long Vauxhall can survive as a standalone brand is the big question. The biggest portion of its sales come from fleets, and the public don't see Vauxhall as a desirable brand, like the German marques. Only a small proportion of Insignias, for example, have been sold to private buyers, and fleet sales generate tiny margins. GM might do well to get rid of the brand altogether and re-introduce Opel.