Opel Monza GSE Automatic. Rust

SambaS

Your pain is understandable.

However, this is something you may have to get used to if you intend keeping the car because they are amongst the biggest rot boxes out there.

Come to think of it, I've never known a car with a front end as rot prone as monza's and royale's.

I've just read this thread start to finish, I feel your anger. After all that bloody work you're still getting messed about. Worth swapping the tyres, double-sided taping the plate and sticking it through a mot elsewhere, say a council run one?

All that welding takes me back, I've not done any heavy-duty welding like that in years. It can be a bit daunting, especially if you go over the whole car and see just what's in store for you. My usual weapon of choice is a cross-pein tack hammer, it's amazing how something that doesn't look all that bad to start with can rapidly begin to look like a complete disaster.

Yep, I'll show you the can of worms to the rear after I get my MOT. There is a 1" section inside the chassis leg that has been missed, where the patch wasn't big enough apparently. And the tank can be araldite wrapped. Still far from happy.

• 2 weeks later...

This car is an absolute beauty to drive, BUT. It just wont change up into 4th gear!

1 - 2 at around 10 mph

2 - 3 at around 30 mph

No more gears,and I took it to over 100mph.

Most of the electrics dont work.

There is a button next to the gear lever with 3/ 4 on it. I assume this holds it in 3rd? But the LED wont light and the button seems not to function.

All four gears used to work.

10557581_10152363555462992_1686555772335

4th gear doesn't work, the button next to the gear stick doesn't work, rear wiper doesn't work, front fogs dont work, heater does work but screams after a while, electric sunroof doesn't work, pass electric window works intermittently, electric mirrors dont work, rear parcel shelf is broken at sides so droops down at the back, tailgate struts dont work, radio doesn't work, bonnet release is detached from its fixing, intermittent wiper doesn't work, occasionally it will but wont park the wipers correctly

A few things to work through!

10557581_10152363555462992_1686555772335

4th gear doesn't work, the button next to the gear stick doesn't work, rear wiper doesn't work, front fogs dont work, heater does work but screams after a while, electric sunroof doesn't work, pass electric window works intermittently, electric mirrors dont work, rear parcel shelf is broken at sides so droops down at the back, tailgate struts dont work, radio doesn't work, bonnet release is detached from its fixing, intermittent wiper doesn't work, occasionally it will but wont park the wipers correctly

A few things to work through!

Sounds like an SD1 then.

Ah, but it looks f***ing cool parked by the side of the road with the window stuck at half mast.

Edit: I was just thinking that sounds a lot like my SD1, except quite a lot of the things that are broken on yours, mine doesn't have.

With any old car there is a lot to be said for going through the fuses and checking for corrosion on the ends, making sure they are all present and correct.

I recently bought an old 924 and I chucked all the fuses away and started again then cleaned and checked every earth point. Hey Presto, most of the long dead bits came back to life and you don't need to rev the engine to shut the passenger window!

• 5 weeks later...

This came in the post yesterday and it is very nearly right! It has 4 extra erm, tubes? spouts? metal petrol penises? Compared to the old one. I could probably bung them up or something. I'm probably just going to join one to the other with some shit petrol pipe that I pay real money for in good faith that will leak after 6 months. This petrol tank is for an Opel Omega A or a Reckord. It's the wrong colour any way.

10712995_10152439753512992_7150281737763

I was going to buy this black one based on the fact 1 its more expensive and 2 its black but the word diesel in the advert put me off.

Looking at it now it doesn't have the same penises as my silver one.

monza_tank.jpg

I'm gonna paint it before I put it on, with underseal type stuff for longevity. And then it will also be the right colour.

Did I say I f!&*ing hate messing on with bloomin petrol tanks. It started with the XR3 a few years back having to drop that. then the Samba Roller then the Samba Cabriolet twice, then I went up the scrapyard for one for the MG that was wrong and still have to go get another AND then this sodding thing started leaking.

*breathes*

Charade :I