Opel Monza GSE Automatic. Rust

SambaS

The bad news was always going to be the chassis here. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to approach this yet. At a guess the chassis facing us will have to be cut off in order to put in new metal on the under side of the leg. Also can you see the ripple? That showed it's face while grindin. So we can (partly) blame previous accident damage for the state it's in.

The rest is okay. I'm fixing the bits that it failed the MOT on. Once tested if anything else rears it's head then I'll address it as and when. I want this MOTing then I can focus on a full and proper rebuild of the XR3. The Monza will need the same no doubt by the time the XR is right, but that's okay.

I may have to enlist some help with the chassis though. I've never attempted anything like this before. My whole world might come crashing down around me if I discover I'm incapable of welding proficiently. Worst case, I guess is I have to pay someone else to do it.

I'm an idiot (a bit). I discovered a jog wheel next to the headlamp control wheel switch that controls the brightness of the digi dash! Still no numbers on speedo or reading on oil and temp guages etc though.

And the digi dash went from working. To only working in KM/H to only working when dash tapped to only working in 'dim' mode to not working at all. It's not even back lit like it was: Amonzaclocks.jpg

• 6 months later...

After our conversation this morning, I've had another good look through the pictures this thread and have worked out my battle plan :D It's definite no worse than anything I've rebuilt in the past, least of all the FSO truck I'm doing right now, so no worries. The rust and crap metal wants cutting out totally though before new metal welded in otherwise it will return. Roll on the spring so we can get started on it :wink:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Theres a legendary thread on the blue forum by a guy called 'phoenixC' who was a bit of a monza lover.He took his to an Autotest and when he got home the gaps down the side of the bonnet had closed up!!! When he got into it, the whole front end was ROTTEN despite just passing the test, and despite this bloke being a pretty shit hot car fettler himself. Anyway he welded it all up and reinforced it and got a bit of a name for himself, meaning then he had about 3 other Monza owners queueing up asking him to fix their rotten inner wings etc. Its a great story, I've just invested 3 mins trying to find it but failed, it'll be there somewhere though.

Rust prevention method used:

1. Cut out rust.

2. Weld in new metal.

3. Hammerite Kurust everything.

4. Zinc primer.

5. Overpaintable Stonechip.

6. Filler primer.

7. Top Coat.

Rust again motherfucker I dare ya!

19042013642.jpg

20042013643.jpg

20042013644.jpg

20042013646.jpg

20042013647.jpg

20042013650.jpg

20042013645.jpg

20042013648.jpg

20042013653.jpg

20042013654.jpg

21042013655.jpg

21042013656.jpg

21042013657.jpg

Thought the driver floor would be a small job to finish.. lifted the carpet:

21042013659.jpg

Actually cleaned up alright, 2 small plates and then welded the accellerator pedal bracket back on

21042013662.jpg

Such a lovely car. Glad that you've got it almost roadworthy :)

Could you get a set of analogue instruments from a Senator to work in the car if the digital dash can't be revived? I do hope that you can get it working, though, as to me the digital dash is the crowning glory of the GSE ;)

Good to see someone getting busy with the buzzy on this one, Monzas totally deserve this kind of love. I have spent more than three minutes and all I've found is lots of threads on RR with lots of rusty Monzas being welded up, but none of the specific thread in question. By contrast, yours seems to be a fairly solid Monza, it actually still has metal underneath the outer panels.

Going to see if my Dad can repair the ones I have, if it turns out they are at fault.

Otherwise I'll have to replace them, wouldnt put anologue dials in it even for MOT, it's been 3 years waiting for this welding, it can hang on a little longer. I love love love the digi dash!

Such a lovely car. Glad that you've got it almost roadworthy :)

Could you get a set of analogue instruments from a Senator to work in the car if the digital dash can't be revived? I do hope that you can get it working, though, as to me the digital dash is the crowning glory of the GSE ;)