Coniston Meet, Spring 2013

eddyramrod

So when's this meet then?

It doesn't seem that POL is going to be the obstacle I thought it might, so until I come up with reasons not to, let's assume it's going to be Sunday April 14th. My birthday's on the 16th, so bring cards... :wink: No seriously... 14th it is, and I'm going to try to keep it that way.

The plan is, we'll assemble in the morning for tea and optional bacon rolls at a seaside cafe I've found (directions later) and generally meet-and-greet and gas about cars. There should be time for the odd artfully-posed photo too if you want. What happens after that is still in development. It's entirely possible that we won't actually get to Coniston at all, as there are other attractions available, but leave that with me. I'll find somewhere we can get a nice (economical) lunch, with all the cars parked together. After lunch we'll most likely drift away in small splinter groups. The rest of the day is your own, as the saying goes.

One thing I feel I should make clear is, I won't be organising anything that involves you spending a load of money. I'm a skinflint myself (of necessity; I don't think many people choose to be so!) so things like a lunch venue will be the best compromise I can find between attractive and free. :lol: Two polar opposites, I know, but I'll do what I can.

I've been out today scouting for this. It's taking shape, and not the shape I had in mind! Coniston (in February, mind) is way more congested, and composed of way narrower streets, than I remember. Also, the venue I had in mind for lunch has a car park with about nine spaces, so that's not a lot of use to the likes of us.

I'm going to drip-feed information now, to keep this thread up on the front page ahead of the tedious bits. :wink:

I don't know how many of you might know about this, but on Sunday April 14th the Lakeland Motor Museum is having a promotion they're calling Drive-In Day. Arrive in (or on, for the bikers among us) something over 20 years old and you get half price admission for the entire crew. All of a sudden the museum is looking extremely attractive! Apparently they are likely to lay on a barbecue too, but we may have to take a chance on the prices for that.

If anyone needs influencing over this... I've had a peer through the door into the museum, and spotted a beige Metro! :wink:

Eddy, you may consider this a formal declaration of my intention to attend :)

The plans sound good so far. The congestion you experienced last weekend might have been at least partly due to the fact it was a school half-term holiday weekend. I'm not sure when the Easter hols finish - Sunday 14th April might be the last day. Can someone with kids tell us?

Aye, assuming we still have the Lancia (this looks likely) and it survives its trip round Scotland on a whiskey holiday which Volksy is going on in a couple of weeks, I shall be there in that. Failing that I have a couple of substitutes to use so its a defo unless I have another fucking wedding/christening/bar mitzvh etc etc ruining my weekend.

trip round Scotland on a whiskey holiday which Volksy is going on in a couple of weeks

Unless Volksy's planning on coming up here and drinking jack daniels, wild turkey or Bushmills you'll need to drop the 'e'. Its whisky round these parts.

Should he be heading to Speyside then I'd recommend the Balvenie tour, he will need to book in advance but its far and away the best booze tour I've ever* done.

*And I've toured breweries, vineyards and distilleries on 3 continents.

It's entirely possible that half-term was a contributory factor, yes; but also, I did imagine a trail of cheap old shite cars threading down the lanes in question, and decided the locals wouldn't think much of the sight. The museum is much more accessible from major roads (as is my original choice of meeting point, which may still stand) and has plentiful parking (as does my original choice...). It's not like we're all going to meet up in Lancaster and come in by coach! The cars, and specifically the variety thereof, are a large component of the whole event, so we do need to be able to accommodate them all, preferably together (or at least close). I'll be mentioning the event on a couple of other forums too, so we may see even further variety!

Food, scenery, a car museum, and now new friends! Don't say I never give you anything! :lol:

Was gonna mention this before, but Gary, or any other South-Eastern or Midlands shitters, you're more than welcome to a bit of sitting room carpet for the night before. I'm just off the A65, the main road between Yorkshire and The Lakes, so I'm on your way. Or there's unlimited camping space outside if you're tough. You're welcome to as much tea as you can guzzle too. Or just call in on the morning for a brew if you like. I'm about 90 minutes away from Coniston. Don't be afraid to ask!

Unfortunately I now can't make the 14th due to my father in laws 60th birthday, I will have to collect the doors from you another time Eddy if that is ok.

Benno

The other day I had a wander past my proposed meeting point. It was shut. To be fair, it has been all winter, which I knew about and was expecting. It should be re-opening in time for Easter, at which point I'll drop in and see about swamping it with shite cars and Shiters.

Other-halves, juniors, pets, whatever you have, will all be welcome along, btw. There's no shortage of attractions for them as well as for us. Railway? Aquarium? Zoo? We've got it all! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one Joe! :D But no problem, now that we've tried it, we've dropped the P38 idea and gone back to people carriers.

However, back on topic: today I've been to the meeting point and explained what I want to do. They are well up for it. Tea, coffee and bacon or sausage butties will all be on the menu; cafe opens at 10. That should be just about right for us. Breakfast meet, bit of gossip and mutual admiring of shite, then convoy off to the Museum where considerably more admiring can take place, followed by lunch. The area has a vast range of attractions within mere minutes' driving, so those who don't want to stay beyond any of these points can early-dart off to points elsewhere as they wish, and after lunch I see us all dispersing anyway.

Now then: meeting point. Should I just post directions on here, or do I need to take names and PM them to everyone? I mean, we are an open forum...

I can't imagine what harm would come from posting the location publicly here. It's not a private place or owt, is it?

Getting quite excited now. It's only two weeks away guys, get those MOTs booked now, so you can get back to the retest before the big day!

Joe, good thinking! I've booked the 406 in for cambelt next Wednesday... :wink:

GDH, of course! We're partial to a V6 round here. At least I am, if there isn't a V8 available... You'll be welcome, fear not.

Location: no, it's not private, in fact extremely public, so I reckon you're right, I'll post up directions here, a week ahead of the event.

Notice, by the way, that Pride of Longbridge is on the Saturday, 13.04, so any BL types can scoot up the M6 a bit and join us if they can stand the salt air!

It's entirely possible I might be asking someone for a lift after the event, to pick up Nu Shite. Also possible I won't! Let's see.....