1980 Austin Princess

vulgalour

Bulbs don't solve the problem really.  I do want to move the sidelights and indicators up into the headlights themselves if I can, LED units can do this, but they're all so fugly, except in the US where you have actual choice but those are all LHD so no good for me.

Also, my adblocker/virus scanner does not like the site of the company FD is using so I'm suspicious.

16 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Bulbs don't solve the problem really.  I do want to move the sidelights and indicators up into the headlights themselves if I can, LED units can do this, but they're all so fugly, except in the US where you have actual choice but those are all LHD so no good for me.

Australia / N Z are lefties maybe they have something?

any word on pats van? did wonder if some injector cleaner and a good thrashing may help emissions. i would probably stick with it (if the rest is still good and going to be good!) as another van could come with new problems?

Pat's van update for you:  Part exchanging it against a new van.  His little Fiat Doblo has been a faithful companion for about ten years now but began developing injector issues as his driving changed from long distance to short hops.  Injector cleaners variously helped for a bit but it was clear the injectors would need work/replacement.  By the time it got to MoT, all the injectors were knackered, the turbo has issues, and the cost to replace them (because this isn't something Pat wanted to DIY, and neither do I, I hate working on diesel engines) exceeded the value of the van.  On top of that, in addition to the cracked front antiroll bar, it also needed two new tyres, new antiroll bar bushes, attention to the rear suspension and just a general mechanical sprucing up to get it back into rude health.  It had just got to the point where it needed the first big spend and Pat had to weigh up his sentimentality for it and what he needed it for.  He needed something ULEZ compliant better suited to short hops and found himself a four year old Ford Connect van with similarly basic spec in much better shape overall, being petrol will suit his needs better too.  He's sad to see the old Doblo go, hopefully someone will scoop it up and make use of it either by DIYing the issues and using it, or as a parts donor.  Body and interior in it were still in excellent shape and I've never known a van so resistant to rot so I reckon if you wanted a little diesel van with no frills that asks for nothing you could do a lot worse than a 2014 Fiat Doblo.  Hopefully the Ford Connect will serve him as well as the Doblo has.

4 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Also, my adblocker/virus scanner does not like the site of the company FD is using so I'm suspicious.

Might be barking up the wrong tree, but I think @gm had a bit of experiment with LED lights on the Exo. 

2 hours ago, mercedade said:

Might be barking up the wrong tree, but I think @gm had a bit of experiment with LED lights on the Exo. 

indeed i did, unfortunately the outcome was that they are mostly shit :( the ones i settled on do give out a decent light but are fugly and haven’t a hope of passing an mot 

You weren't kidding about the fugly and highlighted some of my fears re: beam pattern.  Final set don't look too dreadful, it helps that they're more in keeping with the style of the rest of the car.  I'm so behind on project threads (edit: the reading of, that is) lately, house move and such has kicked my free time arse the last few months.

Got spotted in the wild a couple of days ago, because it's Facebook I didn't know until someone mentioned it over on the blue.  Here's a FB link for those that do:https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKBarnFinds/permalink/2120459284978188/

And the photo for those that don't.

24-02-2024.thumb.jpg.d2ba338db3ae749ae7c4318a3f7c87ad.jpg

Because I'm one that doesn't, I can't see all of the comments.  What I could see were at least more positive than usual without so much of the outright rudeness this car normally attracts on Facebook, so that was nice.  Building up a nice little collection of spotted-in-the-wild social media posts on this one now, totally oblivious to the joy/rage it induces in others.

• vulgalour changed the title to 1980 Austin Princess - Spotted

If it helps, should I find myself with another wedge in the future I would definitely want it to be totally stock.  I'd love to get hold of an L with the vinyl interior, or a hearse, or a Princess in one of the not-brown metallics they were available in, or an Ambassador of any flavour... one day, I hope.

13 hours ago, vulgalour said:

If it helps, should I find myself with another wedge in the future I would definitely want it to be totally stock.  I'd love to get hold of an L with the vinyl interior, or a hearse, or a Princess in one of the not-brown metallics they were available in, or an Ambassador of any flavour... one day, I hope.

its probably just me, but i always think the ambassador looked bigger than a princess. i know its essentially the same size, but it must be the boxyness?

The Ambassador is exactly the same size really, it's the same body shell and doors with some styling tweaks (underlying extra structure hidden from view for the tailgate notwithstanding).  Technically a smidge longer because of the front end facelift and the bigger bumpers, maybe even less of a smidge wider due to the same.  The styling with the extra window in the C pillar and the wide flat lights makes it look bigger and lower.

id forgotten all about those windslammers! my cousin had one on his sierra estate for pulling his box trailer, but when it wasnt pulling that it just looked like a comical oversized spoiler! glad the old girl was delivered safely, hope the remainder of the move goes as well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • vulgalour changed the title to 1980 Austin Princess

Searching amongst truck parts (a lot of big rigs use 5.75" headlights), there's an H4 setup that has turn signal LEDs in which otherwise looks like a regular headlight- left hand drive but if you use it as high beam it would be fine, though the bucket would need adjusting to fit the mounts on the back (dual filament versus single mounting lugs).

upd-s2005led_nt_xl.thumb.jpg.bb215d304bb615ca7a8ad8c32282c762.jpg

Phil

I like the design, but I want an LED upgrade over the H4 bulbs.  This idea is going to have to be on hold now anyway, house move cost more than expected so I'm broke for a bit while I recover, the existing H4s will just have to do.  That said, there aren't so many wanker lights up here as there are in Kent, nor as much traffic, and in general it's just a whole lot more pleasant to be out driving even the very tiny runs I've done recently.

Drove to a little social thing tonight - it was good, will go again - and it wasn't fully dark on the drive out so all was fine.  On the drive back it was fully dark and it wasn't as fine.  Oncoming traffic up here has a lot less LED nonsense, there's still quite a few yellowy halogens out there which is nice.  However, the bright-dark street lighting plays havoc with my night time depth perception, another flaw of LED lighting.  Also, while I can see where I'm going, I can't see very well.  I stuck main beam on for a bit to see if it made a difference and it did... also nobody flashed me at all which kind of told me all I need to know about the brightness or lack thereof of my headlights.

The two take aways from this is that I probably need some non-photochromatic night time driving specs and to upgrade my headlights significantly.  I already knew this of course.  What is money if not for spending?