Jump to content

Shite in Miniature II


Split_Pin

Recommended Posts

Another plain box touched down here yesterday, too - yup, it's the latest from the Corgi Model Club - the #303S Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster.

IMG_20220414_130643.thumb.jpg.f32cc769283c784b6d5382a944991db8.jpg

The pale blue paint sets it off nicely, even if the racing stripe - tampo printed, rather than a waterslide decal - isn't quite my bag. A quick look through the big Van Cleemput book indicates that original versions of this colour variant normally wore a No. 6, instead of 1, on the bonnet.

I'm starting to see a bit of a pattern emerging in their releases - just as the techno-whizz 007 Aston with all the working bits was preceded by the rather more basic Ford Thunderbird, so last month's highly detailed 'everything opens' Jaguar E-Type 2+2 has been followed by the somewhat less, ahem, complex Mercedes.

IMG_20220414_130807.thumb.jpg.cbcfa0ebb1de766aed41038555dc76cb.jpg

Which is fair enough - they're offering these out at a fixed price each month, whereas the Corgi originals varied in price quite considerably.

The Jaguar seems to be made up of 41 separate components, by my count, while the Merc with its cast-in interior and no opening parts has a rather more modest 17.

IMG_20220315_141501.thumb.jpg.cb4e1a105e76562a97c0bcf82367c899.jpg

There's got to be substantial difference in manufacturing costs - so I'd like to think that the simpler models like the Thunderbird and Mercedes are subsidising the flashier ones somewhat.

IMG_20220414_130706.thumb.jpg.e3de2ced38e7eb59d032d7ced457ee6d.jpg

It's a very nicely proportioned wee model, with the 300SL's slippery lines captured well - and enough detail to do it justice.

IMG_20220414_130715.thumb.jpg.f50bd4ea87bc0dd8fc2a74678848ddfb.jpg

The base is pretty functional here, in line with the original design from 1958 - though by the time Corgi started adding their 'Glidamatic' suspension in 1961, diecast bases had taken over from the earlier tinplate type.

IMG_20220414_130743.thumb.jpg.20a3aacd4f3bf455aa9ead81f2d9705c.jpg

The holographic 'Licensed by Daimler' sticker on one end of the box kind of takes the armchair nostalgist out of their retro reverie, but I guess that's the way things have to be these days with intellectual property - we're kinda beyond the days of gentlemen's agreements.

IMG_20220414_130753.thumb.jpg.d8a4cbdf406f9507b8da28ab994d1a42.jpg

The collector's card has to work hard to make the spring suspension sound exciting - and it has its work cut out after the more dynamic issues over recent months.

IMG_20220414_130651.thumb.jpg.dfe01bca807ac01e166e019c1b5b2f47.jpg

But hey - with a dearth of car boot sales and a self-imposed moratorium on market tat, I'm gonna have to take what I can get... and it is building up into quite a nice little collection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, barrett said:

Latest arrivals for my non-collection. I've mentioned before that I'd like to find all the 'unique' cars built by Pilen in Spain, ie those which were not re-issues from other manufacturers. I've yet to find any decent online resource for this make but I have identified a handful of cars which are definitely Pilen originals. I already have the Vauxhall SRV, Monteverdi Hai and Intermeccanica Indra. Now I've added one of the nicest, the AMC Javelin.

20220414_134438.thumb.jpg.0c5b3bd08d7f2be432238823b8ccdd17.jpg

I really like AMC cars generally, as the last independent outsider in Detroit they built some really interesting stuff. I'm a big fan of Dick Teague's styling, particularly in the 1970s. There also aren't that many nice 1:43 models of American cars of this period, although there were plenty in the 1950s and early '60s by the '70s few European compaines seemed interested. So, already a slightly odd choice of subject matter (I can't believe the Javelin was ever sold in Spain, though I could be wrong) and a particularly pleasing end result, with great proportions and excellent detail.

20220414_134446.thumb.jpg.ed0343f8e9d853ae7c5d5c580186882b.jpg

The base is pretty simple, but there's a decent crack at a proper V8 (scuse my dirty nails)

20220414_134455.thumb.jpg.b2f6728dec4834a5ad924705842cb1f7.jpg

20220414_134523.thumb.jpg.30b586eb49097138b4f6650a9fcc7a4b.jpg

The interior detail is pretty good, although this one has lost its seat backs

20220414_134642.thumb.jpg.13a8f11cffbda774692cccd533e66d2f.jpg

It's the little delicate castings of badges etc which really make this one, though. Look how crisp and legible the 'Javelin' and 'SST' scripts are, plus the side repeater lamp.

20220414_134658.thumb.jpg.25b1eb46d831a07baf36546fff51993e.jpg

Really, really pleased with that one. I know of at least two other 'original Pilens' which are on my radar, and possibly others I'm yet to find, so watch this space.

 

My second bit of post is another Mercury effort, this time it's Bertone Alfa Romeo Carabo, which must be one of the most-modelled cars ever built.

20220414_134725.thumb.jpg.8d06b09998d1a4c6d79f22e57e4d276c.jpg

Off the top of my head French Dinky and Solido both did 1:43s, Hot Wheels, Corgi Juniors and Matchbox did small-scale efforts. There are 1:25-ish Politoys and Togi and I'm sure many more. This one is 'average' - definitely not as detailed as the Solido or Dinky and quite lightweight. I'd say typical of the later Mercury toys for accuracy and detail.

20220414_134737.thumb.jpg.444b256a63b33e38fe945c78bd9744e8.jpg

Overall pretty decent shape, though, and the doors open nicely. They're very delicate though and I can't imagine they'd stand up to much play

20220414_134753.thumb.jpg.d0f808ba89b54579443d45e39a07aedd.jpg

A very plain metal base puts this firmly in the 'toy' category. Really this is only here because it's Italian, a weird subject, and unusual to find in the UK, not because I love it.

20220414_134830.thumb.jpg.da1311ca80910b9bb075e5441c512d2c.jpg

 

That AMC is stunning!

Totally new one to me - I had no idea Pilen had ever modelled it.

Weird choice on their part, but absolutely glorious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

That AMC is stunning!

Totally new one to me - I had no idea Pilen had ever modelled it.

Weird choice on their part, but absolutely glorious.

For double-weirdness, fellow Spanish makers Nacoral Inter Cars (of melting tyres fame) decided to model the short-wheelbase two-seater AMX at the same time, which obviously I need to have. This is often listed as a 'Pilen copy' by people who obviously haven't noticed it depicts a totally different car...

Nacoral-Inter-Cars-1-43-1969-AMC-AMX-silver-new-in.thumb.jpg.8d6ecff1c4163440d8da5eb0482f30d7.jpg

I don't know enough about that make to know if they made any other 'originals', but this is the only one I've ever seen.

I had a spare 5 minutes so drew up this list of Pilen source cars. If anyone can add to the list I'd like to hear from you!

1720366275_Screenshot2022-04-14at19_15_01.thumb.png.06641209e4c9eec75f104cb3a7516c7c.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, barrett said:

For double-weirdness, fellow Spanish makers Nacoral Inter Cars (of melting tyres fame) decided to model the short-wheelbase two-seater AMX at the same time, which obviously I need to have. This is often listed as a 'Pilen copy' by people who obviously haven't noticed it depicts a totally different car...

Nacoral-Inter-Cars-1-43-1969-AMC-AMX-silver-new-in.thumb.jpg.8d6ecff1c4163440d8da5eb0482f30d7.jpg

I don't know enough about that make to know if they made any other 'originals', but this is the only one I've ever seen.

I had a spare 5 minutes so drew up this list of Pilen source cars. If anyone can add to the list I'd like to hear from you!

1720366275_Screenshot2022-04-14at19_15_01.thumb.png.06641209e4c9eec75f104cb3a7516c7c.png

 

Mini-Cooper too.

I loved the Pilens I had, bought during various Spanish holidays as a kid. I had the Seat 127, 124 coupé, and 1200 Bocanegra. I also got a gold coloured Alfa Junior Zagato over there, but I'm not sure of the maker (Guiloy?), I always thought that was a Pilen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, barrett said:

I'd guess the Alfa Junior was a Solido, which came in gold

49210084867_2b53226c29_b.jpg

Mebetoys also modelled this

19951-1.jpg

I'd like to find either of those. Or both. Never heard of a Pilen version but it might be the case

Looking at those wheels, I'd guess mine was the Solido in Gold, I'm sure it had a chequered racing stripe over the roof and bonnet, but we're talking 1981 here and my memory isn't what it was... Wish I still had my models from my Spanish holidays but they were somewhat more delicate than the 1/36 Corgis and Matchbox Superkings when it came to being played with "enthusiastically"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Another plain box touched down here yesterday, too - yup, it's the latest from the Corgi Model Club - the #303S Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster.

IMG_20220414_130643.thumb.jpg.f32cc769283c784b6d5382a944991db8.jpg

The pale blue paint sets it off nicely, even if the racing stripe - tampo printed, rather than a waterslide decal - isn't quite my bag. A quick look through the big Van Cleemput book indicates that original versions of this colour variant normally wore a No. 6, instead of 1, on the bonnet.

I'm starting to see a bit of a pattern emerging in their releases - just as the techno-whizz 007 Aston with all the working bits was preceded by the rather more basic Ford Thunderbird, so last month's highly detailed 'everything opens' Jaguar E-Type 2+2 has been followed by the somewhat less, ahem, complex Mercedes.

IMG_20220414_130807.thumb.jpg.cbcfa0ebb1de766aed41038555dc76cb.jpg

Which is fair enough - they're offering these out at a fixed price each month, whereas the Corgi originals varied in price quite considerably.

The Jaguar seems to be made up of 41 separate components, by my count, while the Merc with its cast-in interior and no opening parts has a rather more modest 17.

IMG_20220315_141501.thumb.jpg.cb4e1a105e76562a97c0bcf82367c899.jpg

There's got to be substantial difference in manufacturing costs - so I'd like to think that the simpler models like the Thunderbird and Mercedes are subsidising the flashier ones somewhat.

IMG_20220414_130706.thumb.jpg.e3de2ced38e7eb59d032d7ced457ee6d.jpg

It's a very nicely proportioned wee model, with the 300SL's slippery lines captured well - and enough detail to do it justice.

IMG_20220414_130715.thumb.jpg.f50bd4ea87bc0dd8fc2a74678848ddfb.jpg

The base is pretty functional here, in line with the original design from 1958 - though by the time Corgi started adding their 'Glidamatic' suspension in 1961, diecast bases had taken over from the earlier tinplate type.

IMG_20220414_130743.thumb.jpg.20a3aacd4f3bf455aa9ead81f2d9705c.jpg

The holographic 'Licensed by Daimler' sticker on one end of the box kind of takes the armchair nostalgist out of their retro reverie, but I guess that's the way things have to be these days with intellectual property - we're kinda beyond the days of gentlemen's agreements.

IMG_20220414_130753.thumb.jpg.d8a4cbdf406f9507b8da28ab994d1a42.jpg

The collector's card has to work hard to make the spring suspension sound exciting - and it has its work cut out after the more dynamic issues over recent months.

IMG_20220414_130651.thumb.jpg.dfe01bca807ac01e166e019c1b5b2f47.jpg

But hey - with a dearth of car boot sales and a self-imposed moratorium on market tat, I'm gonna have to take what I can get... and it is building up into quite a nice little collection.

Interesting, now I have 2 of the originals. 1 in plain white and another boxed example in chrome with a hardtop fitted. I'm pretty sure the white one doesn't have suspension, I'll need to check now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Another plain box touched down here yesterday, too - yup, it's the latest from the Corgi Model Club - the #303S Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster.

IMG_20220414_130643.thumb.jpg.f32cc769283c784b6d5382a944991db8.jpg

 

44 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Interesting, now I have 2 of the originals. 1 in plain white and another boxed example in chrome with a hardtop fitted. I'm pretty sure the white one doesn't have suspension, I'll need to check now!

I had the chrome one with hardtop

20170629_163531_zpscunprhwk

Are Corgi Club up to a bit of artistic licence with the stripe and number?

*Edit* No

P1430999-1600_2048x2048.jpg?v=1571712050

Found #3, #5 #7 and #12 too.

I believe Corgi Club have copied a pretty early release, fair play

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few recent diecast additions:

IMG_8984.thumb.JPG.6041f16d42f6ddee6193a9e5f1f86267.JPG

Of course, as soon as @bunglebussent me a couple of LS400s I start finding plenty of them in the local shops. Thought I'd better get an extra one, just in case....

I may well already have one or two of the Integra in different colours, but I think they look really good.

1:24 plastic keeps turning up too:

IMG_8842.thumb.JPG.943c2d6eb8366de33883728d4bc622ff.JPG

This is a really nice kit, might start it quite soon.

IMG_8807.thumb.JPG.8b4bf07f257477c9bd1f20521328efe8.JPG

Couldn't resist this oddball. I can imagine they'd be a great thing to have at 1:1, a good alternative to a Berlingo etc.

IMG_8741.thumb.JPG.5af9dcca008df3b651dd3c4593926ed9.JPG

Platz is a Yaris/Vitz with a boot. Sadly I missed out on getting a Vitz kit recently. Wire wheels and lowrider parts will be handy for the parts box. Great to see the Matchbox logo on the Hilux kit, I've already made a start on that one:

IMG_8757.thumb.JPG.9f55a52d104fd193d66a4cf9b19cb359.JPG

No plans to do the boat at present, it may come in useful for a future build. Limited parts count and it's snap-fit, but it goes together nicely and looks to be well-proportioned.

IMG_8829.thumb.JPG.20ffadb56c6b8fb785cae3a6f5e33eb0.JPG

As it is at present, hopefully will be getting some red topcoat on it over the Easter weekend. I want to to build it as close as possible to a stock UK/Euro-spec example, as a loose replica of an immaculate example owned by a local, wealthy businessman who has a collection of 4wd Hilux single-cabs. Found some appropriate steel wheels in a Land Cruiser kit and I'm making some other mod's to bring it back to stock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, barrett said:

I had a spare 5 minutes so drew up this list of Pilen source cars. If anyone can add to the list I'd like to hear from you!

1720366275_Screenshot2022-04-14at19_15_01.thumb.png.06641209e4c9eec75f104cb3a7516c7c.png

I really don't know a lot about Pilen, which is why I'm enjoying this deep-dive into their products - but they also produced a later Talbot Alpine (or Talbot 150, as it was badged) which was a bit different from the Solido Chrysler Alpine/ Simca 1308.

I just so happened to have an example of a Pilen Talbot 150 and a Solido Simca 1308, and took a few comparison pics a number of years ago.

20180324_142335.jpg

20180324_142307.jpg

20180324_142606.jpg

20180324_142531.jpg

So this might be another Pilen original for the list - unless it matches with Joal's version?

20180324_142449.jpg

(It's the only Pilen I've ever owned, so my knowledge pretty much stops here.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the Joal Version, it's a MK1 but described underneath as a Chrysler 150 or something. The suspension is very lifelike as it bows to the weight of the model. I'll see if I habe a picture somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

I really don't know a lot about Pilen, which is why I'm enjoying this deep-dive into their products - but they also produced a later Talbot Alpine (or Talbot 150, as it was badged) which was a bit different from the Solido Chrysler Alpine/ Simca 1308.

I just so happened to have an example of a Pilen Talbot 150 and a Solido Simca 1308, and took a few comparison pics a number of years ago.

20180324_142335.jpg

20180324_142307.jpg

20180324_142606.jpg

20180324_142531.jpg

So this might be another Pilen original for the list - unless it matches with Joal's version?

20180324_142449.jpg

(It's the only Pilen I've ever owned, so my knowledge pretty much stops here.)

 

That's really helpful, thanks - the Pilen version is in fact another Dinky re-boot. The Joal version is identical to the Solido. I had assumed they were all one casting as I hadn't realised there even was a Dinky version! I will amend the list accordingly.

The Pilen-Dinky tie-up is still a bit murky to me, but I believe that the Pilen factory built these last 'Spanish Dinkys' for sale in Europe. When Dinky collapsed, Pilen retained the tooling and continued making the cars under its name. Most of them were in the same colour schemes as the Dinky versions (as here) and at a glance are indistinguishable.

82586244-68af-41f5-afec-2b6e99255073.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, barrett said:

That's really helpful, thanks - the Pilen version is in fact another Dinky re-boot. The Joal version is identical to the Solido. I had assumed they were all one casting as I hadn't realised there even was a Dinky version! I will amend the list accordingly.

The Pilen-Dinky tie-up is still a bit murky to me, but I believe that the Pilen factory built these last 'Spanish Dinkys' for sale in Europe. When Dinky collapsed, Pilen retained the tooling and continued making the cars under its name. Most of them were in the same colour schemes as the Dinky versions (as here) and at a glance are indistinguishable.

82586244-68af-41f5-afec-2b6e99255073.jpg

Aha, yes indeed - I can see how my Pilen version has clear similarities to the Dinky Simca.

I'm equally unsure of the chronology of Dinky's various European operations - some squinting at Wikipedia seems to indicate that the 1308/ Alpine was one of a handful of late-1970s models designed and made by Pilen in Spain, some of which were then sold in France fitted with Dinky bases and 'Made in Spain' marks. 

11539 VW Scirocco

11540 Renault 14

11541 Ford Fiesta

11542 Simca 1308 GT

11543 Opel Ascona

Dinky Toys - Wikipedia

Interesting that Pilen then must have decided to 'Talbot-ify' their casting to depict the post-1980 facelift version of the 150/ Alpine - and if Pilen amended the tooling after Dinky's collapse to add the Talbot name and the new nose, maybe that would count as a unique model (or variant, at least)?

Annoyingly, I no longer have the Pilen model so don't know if there was a reference number on the base...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.thumb.jpg.bd4c6e4d88552431a68cd8713f2202e6.jpg

The scene at my breakfast table this morning.  Takes me back to 1977, just need an XJC, Pacer, B1600, Dyane , X1/9 and Even though it’s the wrong scale, Starsky’s Torino.

I started collecting 1/36 Corgis a year or so back but not the ones we ( my3 brothers and me) had as kids, until now. Thanks @richardmorrisfor being a lot more careful with yours than we were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are all I've managed to get lately. As usual my local Tesco was a dead loss for the new case stuff. I really wanted the Golf GTi, the red Civic and the Lexus, but, naturally none to be found. There was only the Land Rover and the Bentley FX4 worth having.

IMG_20220410_141138.thumb.jpg.bf2569f4ce8eeb726c50dff508349a95.jpg

IMG_20220410_141208.thumb.jpg.fb466bfefad46cbe5bfbd941b4812ea9.jpg

Not my cuppa per se, but they are beautifully made and detailed for what are just toys.

IMG_20220410_141046.thumb.jpg.fbfdbbdf71a046ca949f51b97fcd5a7c.jpg

IMG_20220410_210146.thumb.jpg.063fe15163e8098b40af388e60bc494c.jpg

IMG_20220410_210202.thumb.jpg.419ce500a9a54529be59113805dc9f1a.jpg

Little bit more luck on the Hot Wheels front, thanks to Morrisons and the 'little' Asda.

IMG_20220410_210219.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First up, some long card goodness from Morrisons,

IMG_20220410_142433.thumb.jpg.a4f6cfd55076bc36147fcc7e2cfac01f.jpg

IMG_20220410_142441.thumb.jpg.36bc34e60cc288af6878e033344c125d.jpg

Having previously owned 2 square '90s Mercs in Signal Red with headlight wipers, I was pleased to find this version of the 500E!

IMG_20220410_141711.thumb.jpg.bbdb58bdd027d79585a7d85b600b46e0.jpg

IMG_20220410_142220.thumb.jpg.ff74deca37e3703207780d429d306a2e.jpg

IMG_20220410_142232.thumb.jpg.5ee9e5d6f84860aab8e7ef49efd8b57a.jpg

The new-ish Trueno casting is lovely and this version looks great. They've not gone too OTT with the graphics and it's nice to see them using fat, small diameter wheels.

IMG_20220410_142302.thumb.jpg.e23ec77b63339100f75164a09c43b2f5.jpg

IMG_20220410_141744.thumb.jpg.c57ad745402f430ad2c5a6cf28c85549.jpg

IMG_20220410_141910.thumb.jpg.a60ad93d063937ecc9a025b7bb0a4041.jpg

IMG_20220410_142334.thumb.jpg.4f196d855b15bf5ba47c10c19f413222.jpg

I'm a sucker for the Chevelle SS wagon casting, so had to grab this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Asda came up with a rather yellow-tinged selection, 

IMG_20220412_193302.thumb.jpg.13cbbedb4bdc85ef73bf1f4847bbdd1f.jpg

IMG_20220412_193421.thumb.jpg.1f17bb3f92ceb8d55f658a51e3d89838.jpg

I thought this was a concept car or something but it appears to be the actual new Z. Mattel seem to be quick off the blocks getting this one out.

IMG_20220412_193333.thumb.jpg.f94e271883c73e4c9145c6536663a09d.jpg

IMG_20220412_193348.thumb.jpg.adea55dc5cecc286152f99dd820db032.jpg

Another yellow S2000, with  different graphics this time,

IMG_20220412_193444.thumb.jpg.c125f51daf3996efd195625481f4800c.jpg

IMG_20220412_193638.thumb.jpg.88c0069f14a1776f9ea8612a31aed6cc.jpg

IMG_20220412_193520.thumb.jpg.2f3d551e579ed083e5eb01cf4f7dd423.jpg

I got excited when I found the yellow A Class, as I thought it was the yellow EK9 Civic, but it was not to be,

IMG_20220412_193707.thumb.jpg.712da6a82aeb91327dc323b5a623d9a1.jpg

IMG_20220412_193819.thumb.jpg.6fb9dd6bbd67dfe6cc651250034d1aff.jpg

And I'm very tempted to open this one for some Rola-Matics type fun...

IMG_20220412_193846.thumb.jpg.f0d0854a00c0ec2a664dd1d509ffe52b.jpg

Not a bad haul, but still not a flipping Sierra to be found anywhere.

Sigh..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AndyW201 said:

I'm very tempted to open this one for some Rola-Matics type fun...

IMG_20220412_193846.thumb.jpg.f0d0854a00c0ec2a664dd1d509ffe52b.jpg

I think they hit the nail on the head with that one, quite tempted to drop mine nice and low, although I do get the reason for the stance. 

2022-04-16_01-34-04.thumb.jpg.f66eb2e17e9a5e78697f7d2bd8e3cf37.jpg

The Rolamatic feature is great to see again too, even if they don't call it that

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not much on the Matchbox front over this side of the water either: a scant couple of unwanted baggage trucks is all that remained in the Tesco dump bins last time I looked, while stock on the pegs was restricted to the modern London taxis on the 'UK Collection' long cards.

It's fortunate, in a way, as it means that temptation hasn't been waving at me...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

while stock on the pegs was restricted to the modern London taxis on the 'UK Collection' long cards.

Was like that here in terms of stuff on the pegs too, DC. Just the cabs, disappointingly. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...