Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

been out today to Kirkby Stephen and Brough to look at the old buses and wagons and while there i got a couple more old diecasts.

husky anglia van and matchbox anglia saloon.

post-18270-0-52091300-1459099531_thumb.jpg

the matchbox one has been repainted from the pale grey to powder blue cos when i took the price sticker off of the roof, it brought off loads of the paint with it.... bugger.

and a matchbox mark 2 cortina, who on here has one of these?

post-18270-0-55754000-1459099710_thumb.jpg

an finally a white datapost metro, 

post-18270-0-85764700-1459099797_thumb.jpg

as can be seen i've gone and got quite a few Corgi Metros, cos i iz saddo

post-18270-0-88412700-1459099920_thumb.jpg

and a few of the 1/64th or there abouts matchbox & husky's

post-18270-0-41113300-1459099997_thumb.jpg

so after the Dinky Clubbie, that is it for me, for a while, no more diecast shite,,,,,

That Dinky road sweeper, I had the final release of that, which strangely had the facelft front with square headlamps, shame they deleted the opening doors on that casting, as I also had a bright orange tipper with opening doors. And that 309 Profile, phwoar

I have one that I've owned (and battered) from new, so a few years ago I converted it to a 4 door and painted it maroon, to match the last car my dad bought new.  HWM 457F, September 1967, it was a 1500 Super.  Pretty sure I've also got at least one of each (brown and blue) in used condition too.

That Mini is indeed completely stunning.

I took that horrible Trabant out for photos yesterday in a howling, very wet, gale. Bits of it were falling off like confetti.

post-4819-0-18510900-1459154251_thumb.jpg

When I got home I had to photo-shop the door handle back into position. Spiteful thing.

Cheered myself up with some Jeep photos in the woods.

post-4819-0-70440000-1459154397_thumb.jpg

post-4819-0-53280500-1459154421_thumb.jpg

Felt stupid buying it at the time, £8 from the Tesco toy section. Now I rather like it.

Nice job on the Minis. Revell looks the better proportioned, around the roof at least.

There is roughly a quarter century between the Fujimi and the Revell tooling, so I'd say if the Revell wasn't better by lightyears, Revell should go where Rover is.

However, the Fujimi actually looks better in real life than on photos and the only thing really wrong is the too small windscreen and too heavy handed frame.

The Mini seems to be difficult to miniaturise, considering the many ill and very few correctly proportioned models made over the past 57 years.

There is roughly a quarter century between the Fujimi and the Revell tooling, so I'd say if the Revell wasn't better by lightyears, Revell should go where Rover is.

However, the Fujimi actually looks better in real life than on photos and the only thing really wrong is the too small windscreen and too heavy handed frame.

The Mini seems to be difficult to miniaturise, considering the many ill and very few correctly proportioned models made over the past 57 years.

Like the Matchbox Superfast effort?!

I've got the Tamiya 1:24 kit. No real plans to do anything with it yet, but I have thoughts of loosely recreating a customised version I used to see in the '80s.

When I've seen built versions of that kit it always seems as if the headlights are slightly out of scale.

Got this little gem the other day -

post-4771-0-61165600-1459159503_thumb.jpeg

£9.99 plus postage. I Like these early whizzwheels because they have metal bases, a couple of years later they had the cheapo plastic bases.

They were meant to compete with hot wheels red lines, they are much better quality - the castings on the hotwheels of that era seem to turn to powder.

Nice...One or two of the early transitional Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels models actually inherited the Husky chrome plastic bases (like the American Ford wrecker and camper van) so they went from plastic to die-cast and back again!    Not often found in their packaging - like most blisters you have to virtually destroy them to get the model out.   There was an album to collect those cut-out card pictures in which I still have an example of, although having pestered my Dad to buy it for me I promptly stopped buying the models!

The Corgi 1/36 scale one takes some beating, particularly when they Roverised the casting in 1989. It's always been my favourite. RWUK Is that a Maisto 1/18 scale Jeep? That's one on my bucket list, lots of detail for the money. I have several Welly 1/24 models that I purchased from the toy section in TK Maxx and they are superbly detailed.

To my delight, while having a shufty around Monsieur Lobster's online emporium of diecast filth, I found that the Oxford diecast Firenza is now finally available. Took me literal seconds to get it boughted!

Can't wait till it arrives! This looks like one Vauxhall that isn't shit...

Some stuff given to me by a friend, the Merc has a bit missing from the windscreen and the front suspension had collapsed, which I repaired using a bit of scrap plastic, doesn't quite go back together properly, but hey ho, some Yesteryears, the Tobler Ford A van and Bugatti are both boxed, but the steam lorry and A woody and Mercedes are unboxed, plus some real tat, Maisto pullback MGRV8, and a cheapo helicopter and people carrier thingumy

post-5211-0-13254100-1459183641_thumb.jpg

post-5211-0-65632500-1459183673_thumb.jpg

post-5211-0-09127400-1459183660_thumb.jpg

Like the Matchbox Superfast effort?!

I've got the Tamiya 1:24 kit. No real plans to do anything with it yet, but I have thoughts of loosely recreating a customised version I used to see in the '80s.

When I've seen built versions of that kit it always seems as if the headlights are slightly out of scale.

Yeah, the Matchbox. Or the old Corgis and Dinkys. Even expensive stuff like the sad looking Kyoshos.

And yes, I also always found the Tamiya one looking somehow 'wrong'.

The new Revell really seems to be the best so far.

My purchases from the show at Brough yesterday...

post-4559-0-67482700-1459186660_thumb.jpg

A desk calendar (for 2003) in the form of a set of cards labelled "Fleet Trumps" which could be endless fun at Shitefest.  The Laguna was the card at the front, which caught my eye.  It's available... ;)

post-4559-0-23056100-1459186711_thumb.jpg

post-4559-0-35826800-1459186844_thumb.jpg

post-4559-0-66410500-1459186899_thumb.jpg

For the Fiat lickers among us, a Bburago 1/43 Regata.  I picked it up because it was in nice condition, but I don't really have a place for it in my collection, so, like the game above, a couple of quid plus postage will see it on your shelves.

And these two are staying, because they do have places...

post-4559-0-10821000-1459187060_thumb.jpg

Pontiac GTO Judge, and a Ford Transit that appears to be an ambulance of some sort.  Both by Matchbox.

Yeah, the Matchbox. Or the old Corgis and Dinkys. Even expensive stuff like the sad looking Kyoshos.

And yes, I also always found the Tamiya one looking somehow 'wrong'.

The new Revell really seems to be the best so far.

I have long believed that the Mini is a very awkward subject to model.  It just doesn't scale down very well and I think its to do with its very deceptive proportions.  Its almost as if you have to factor in the perspective.  Individual areas of the car in 1/1 do not actually sit very well with adjacent angles and curves to begin with. 

The original 1960s Corgi renditions were probably better than most - certainly compared to contemporary Dinky and subsequent 1/36 and 1/43 modern Corgis.

It just never seems to work at all in anything smaller.... 

I had an early Kyosho Mini and it was vile. The driveshafts were a scale foot thick in diameter, the doors were crap, the windows were too shallow, the engine detail was like a Lego set and it was quite expensive. Punted that one on. The cheapo 1/16 Bburago offering shouldn't be overlooked. With some work it can look cracking. There is also a premium Classix 1/18 example which looks amazing but it's about a ton and a half cost wise.