Split_Pin

More small shite,

Another transporter.

20160319_181253_zpsm169c6v0.jpg

20160319_181314_zpsuoipqace.jpg

Various playworn regular wheel Matchbox cars,

20160319_181346_zpsdrnawi4i.jpg

20160319_181407_zpsfzaniih1.jpg

Pedant alert!   Thornycroft unit is from the Mobilgas tanker but looks really good on the car transporter.  Disappointingly, not all of the various Major Pack units and trailers can be swopped due to different "5th wheel" heights and configurations....

Also, the brown VW Microbus is actually a Morestone, rather than Lesney, product.    

Nice models there.

Revolving lion in the back of this one:

6997837123_d1e08f7903_o.jpg

Matchbox Superfast Wildlife Truck #57 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

And there's the earlier green kennel truck version with dogs in the back (not one I have in my collection yet).

Back to kits, and I enjoyed building this one back in the early-mid '90s:

4104089708_2f14fefb85_o.jpg

AMT 1:25 Dodge Monaco by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

So was pleased to pick another one up at a decent price off eBay:

25831774881_61cac753cd_c.jpg

AMT Ertl 1:25 1977 Dodge Monaco kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Would build it as a bog-stock version this time. On a related note, another one that's in the stash awaiting its turn:

5084176233_0fa0fe3616_b.jpg

1:25 MPC Force 440 Dodge Monaco by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

And this one more appropriate to AS?

23957960851_36b728679f_c.jpg

1:25 MPC Dodge Daytona Turbo kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I'd love one of those Monacos. What price do some of the less rare ones go for?

I picked up my 4dr for £10 plus postage. Can't recall for the 2dr, probably not much more.

Junkman will probably know better but I think the 4dr has been reissued quite a few times, also as a Dukes of Hazzard police car?

I built (badly) a fair few AMT kits when I was a kid, this is one half of the only pair which survived due to being the least ruined of them all. I built this when I was 12, in 1991, a 1991 Ford Probe GT. The other reason for keeping it is because I really like the way it looks, which is, well, a bit shit.

post-3238-0-05733700-1458503753_thumb.jpeg

Bought a Vitesse 1:18 Trabant the other day, described as mint but box "seen better days".

It had, and as a result offered virtually no protection to the model whatsoever. When it arrived the wheel had parted company with its mount.

post-4819-0-04123500-1458505053_thumb.jpg

Still, its wheel falling off probably makes it all the more accurate to the real thing.

Yesterday at work I had a go at fixing it with superglue. all it needed was a few little blobs to hold the wheel onto the little collar left on the stub-axle.

Sadly, the nasty liquid glue stuff splooshed out of the nozzle all over everything, meaning the hub and steering are now permanently seized, and the wheel will never be able to turn again.

-38/10. DISQUALIFIED.

I'm not a great fan of AMT kits, but the subject matter sometimes sways me.

I like the fact I could build kits quickly and get some fun out of them when I was younger, even if the quality isn't what I can manage today (but nowadays I don't get through anywhere near enough of them).

This is probably the worst kit I have, it doesn't even have the ability to build it stock just as this gormless modified thing.

5084772556_d41806f32a_o.jpg

1:24 Monogram Chevrolet Citation X by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

This is the silliest:

4059710097_b3bb0be8ff_o.jpg

1:24 Nissan Skyline 'Ken & Mary' Noppo 4dr (C110) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Pedant alert!   Thornycroft unit is from the Mobilgas tanker but looks really good on the car transporter.  Disappointingly, not all of the various Major Pack units and trailers can be swopped due to different "5th wheel" heights and configurations....

Also, the brown VW Microbus is actually a Morestone, rather than Lesney, product.    

Nice models there.

Yes,you are correct.

I was doing a little online research and came to the same conclusion.

Slightly disappointed about the transporter having the wrong tractor unit,but as you say it does look good.

I'm impressed by the photography in this thread.  As a photographic novice and an owner of a Kodak something or other digital, are there any tips for good close-up shots?  If I can snap something acceptable I'll see what I've got in boxes under my bed, on top of the wardrobe, in the loft ...... if only I had an 'organised' gene.   Somewhere I have a couple of Hubley metal kits.  I assembled and painted them decades ago so their condition is likely to be 'barn find.'  When I lived in Southsea in 1961 (approx), there was an Oxfam shop in Eastney high street which often had pre and immediately post war second hand Dinky toys for sale.  I bought several at 3d each.  They must also be somewhere.  I rarely sell or throw anything away.  Even my teddy bear is the same one in photographs of me when 2 years old.  Anyway, close-up tips would be most welcome.  

I phone+Instagram filters= decent amateur photo. I am no photographer and have zero interest in being a good one, but I like my models to look good! The secret to a nice model car photograph is a good background. Either something simple or an uncluttered diorama scene. I am lucky that my wife is an interior designer so I can put a model in most places and I will have an OK shot. Even some white card to make an 'infinite white space' background looks good.

Roadwork, I had that Vitesse Trabant and it was the most horrible model I ever owned. EVERYTHING fell off. All wheels had to be glued solid, lights, bumpers, the lot, all had to be a reattached. It's also from that wilderness 1/18 era of the late 1990s when we were between only having Bburago and Maisto and having proper high end stuff like Minichamps. Detail was attempted by using painted separate engine parts and interiors that ended up looking like a badly made air fix kit. Execution of the subject was characterless. Corgi, Anson, Vitesse, and Chrono were all guilty and with the exception of a Mercedes e class, I punted them all to feck. Having said that I have a Corgi MGF which has decent paint and a nice windowless box. All UT models stuff is lovely too, sad that they went bust. Good luck!

I picked up my 4dr for £10 plus postage. Can't recall for the 2dr, probably not much more.

Junkman will probably know better but I think the 4dr has been reissued quite a few times, also as a Dukes of Hazzard police car?

"Better" is unflattering.

The kit is, as was common practice with US manufacturers, based on the promo tool, which was a 2-door hardtop.

It first saw the light of day in 1977, together with the related annual kit. It was then updated to a 1978, and again available as an annual kit, still proudly two doored.

The kit was reissued as the Force 440 police car issue in the mid Eighties.

Then it was severely modified into a four door and backdated to a 1977 for the LAPD/T.J. Hooker issue in the late Eighties.

Sadly, the roofline is not entirely correct for a four door, obviously the two door tool did not allow for this. So the backlight and C-pillars have been incorrect ever since.

Despite that, this tool has been reused at least twice apart from the T.J Hooker issue, namely for the Joker Goon Car/Gotham City police car and the DoH Roscoe's car.

If you want a more prototypically correct late Seventies Dodge Monaco/Plymouth Fury four door and are not a scale bigot, check out the Yodel (I'm NOT kidding!)

1/24 scale kits. However, those are curbsides and far from easy to come by.

yodel-1978-dodge-monaco-4-door-sedan-cal

Check out c-pillar shape:

s-l1600.jpg

Compare with real car:

dodge.jpg

And with MPC kit:

MPC_Dukes-PoliceCar%5B05%5D.JPG

[/anorak]

I have a Rolamatics Range Rover with an actual rotating rotary beacon on the roof 😀

On another subject, I was in Tesco last night and noticed that they are now stocking Majorette cars. These are the first 1/64 scale cars that I have seen in years which have opening features. I'm not counting Siku as they are too dear at 4 quid.