Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

My collection is pretty eclectic.  I have Dinky/Corgi/Matchbox that are older than I am (takes some doing!); more of the same that I've had from new throughout my childhood/adolescence/adulthood, yet more that I've acquired in used condition from assorted sources such as boot sales, toy fairs, charity shops.  I also have Hot Wheels that I've been enjoying since I first saw them in the 60s, some even from new that far back.  Then there are Airfix model kits, most of the American makes and some of the Japanese, nearly all in 1/32 or 1/24 scale.  Not to mention Scalextric and other compatible slot cars!

Oh and then we get into the more modern collection: Ixo/Altaya, Road Champs, Vanguards and anything else I think I can justify in 1/43, plus a growing fleet of 1/18 by various makers.  And all sorts of oddments too.

Favourite maker?  Probably Hot Wheels, given my lifelong bias towards American cars.

I do ,like the partwork Ixo jobs I must agree, had a fair few in my collection, especially Ladas, as I have them in most flavours now. I quite like Minichamps, especially when I pick em up cheaply, and says in a hushed tone, my Shucco Vectra estate is quite nice, with it being in rhd Vauxhall flavour. Goes well with my Mondongo mk1 estate by Minichamps

My collection is way too diverse in order for me to pick a favourite manufacturer.

At the core is an immense plastic kit collection. Not because I'm the big modeller (although I consider myself quite capable in that respect),

but because this was the only sufficient dosage form models of yanks were available when I started collecting in earnest 40 odd years ago.

If I have to pick a favourite yank kit manufacturer, it must be Jo-Han. Not because quality, which is shit, but because of the subjects they made.

When it comes to quality, it's certainly Moebius, however, they haven't really struck my heart yet subject wise.

Apart from that, I collect "weird" plastic kits, i.e. non automotive. Monsters, bicycles, robots, spaceships, etc. Even archishite.

There is hardly anything that hasn't been made as a plastic kit. This includes a 1/20 scale kit of a plastic injection moulding machine and some

1/1 scale Sushi. I also have some big scale stuff and big scale motorcycles.

Over the decades, this was supplemented with a 1/24-25 diecast collection. Again, it's the availability of subjects that motivates it,

so I have deffo no favourite manufacturer in this field. I find the 'mints' a bit disappointing, especially when it comes to value for money,

although meanwhile some downright bargains can be had on the secondary market.

About ten years ago, I ventured into 1/18 scale as a relative latecomer. I managed to procrastinate as long as I could, but if you are a car nut,

you can't avoid this scale forever. My 1/18 collection is considered eccentric on several relevant forums, the term 'bonkers' has been used.

Again, it's the subjects that count for me, not the manufacturer. This scale allows me to indulge in my favourite stuff, mainly yanks and Frenchies.

For French stuff, my fav is undoubtedly Norev, which IMO provides the best value for money of any 1/18 scale manufacturer.

When it comes to yanks, I think that Sun Star currently has the edge. Yatmings are actually quite good, but must be seen as semi finished.

They respond extremely well to careful pimping. So do Maistos. But I do appreciate real high end stuff like AutoArt and GMP/ACME as well.

This sector of my collection is currently the fastest growing one. I received numerous new arrivals the past few weeks, but haven't got

around to photograph them yet, so stay tuned.

So much for models. I also collect toys in smaller scales, predominantly 1960s Dinky, Corgi, Spot-On and Siku. I also have quite a few Hotwheels,

but only the really far out stuff.

And again non automotive, I have hundreds of Comic and Gashapon figures, as well as pretty much all McDonald's Barbies.

Do you ever want to build a few of the less valuable ones and keep the box? I have kept the boxes for most of my built models and I like to look at the artwork and the completed model in the pictures and compare it my efforts.

I used to build a lot and yes, I do want to get into it again.

The value of a kit is of no importance to me, if I want to build the subject, I build it. I consider this a form of miniature banger racing.

For the really rare and obscure stuff, if you want to build one, there is usually a slightly started one out there, which often can be had for surprisingly little money.

Also, I love to restore kits, that were ruined decades ago by kids.

I never keep the entire box of a built kit. I carefully fold the lid flat and keep it like this, along with the instructions, which I collect in a folder.

As for the level of modeller I am, this is my Aoshima OMGMGBBYMG:

pic063.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic004.jpg

pic005.jpg

pic006.jpg

pic007.jpg

pic008.jpg

pic009.jpg

pic010.jpg

pic011.jpg

pic012.jpg

Feel free to slag it off.

I built the MGB as well, as a gift for stepdad to replicate the 1:1 example he had at the time:

4220974209_1f2fcffa84_o.jpg

Revell 1:24 MGB Roadster by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

4220975421_a6e6a7c463_o.jpg

Mine was a Revell issue, but still the Aoshima kit I think. I ought to have lowered the ride height really.

I built the MGB as well, as a gift for stepdad to replicate the 1:1 example he had at the time:

Mine was a Revell issue, but still the Aoshima kit I think. I ought to have lowered the ride height really.

That's very nice. You even opened the bonnet!